Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
playing a game against a space marin dreadnought army, all i know is that he has got 6 dreadnoughts 2 squads of scouts? and a space marin squad of 6.

ok and heres my army:

HQ: blood thirster :w00t:

Chaos Space Marine Lord
Daemonic strength
Resilience
Essence

Terminator armour
Combi-melta
Personal icon
Master crafted weapon

ELITE: obliterator x2

TROOPS: chaos space marine squad x2

Plasma gun x2
Bolters x8
Aspiring champion with power fist

HV: Predator with lascannon pair and lascannon main weapon

strategy please! by tommorrow morning pls! morning of 19th january 2006 english time

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
Well if the scouts have sniper rifles you can pretty much kiss the BT goodbye. What exactly his dread's are armed with will make a big difference in this game. If any of them have DCCW's keep your lord well away from them and watch out for Lascannon hits on your Pred. Try to get those obliterators behind enemy lines and Be careful how you spend your chaos marine squads as they are /he only real bulk to your army.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
You should pretty much be able to customize your army for taking down dreadnoughts and scouts, assuming you have the models. Again, like drycha said, there are a few questions that need to be answered.

·
269 Posts
:w00t: SIX DREADNOUGHTS - Is that legal? (I will make it legal. - SW:I PM)

Do you have any other options model-wise?

From what I can see, you've got numbers on him so use that to your advantage. I'd dump the Predator for more men. A single vehicle will be the single hot target and a big points sink that you might lose quickly. At least you don't have to worry about Deep Strike (No Drop Pods, right?).

Depending on the mission, I'd say refuse a flank and then pound away particularly at the AC armed versions. Assault the Infiltrated Scouts if they are close, but keep your men away from the Dreads until they close in, then mob them. If they stand alone, you can attempt to mob them as well. Don't divide your forces, remember you have numbers on your side. Use them.

IF a more experienced general can offer better, then let them speak now. My battle record is far from stellar.

·
I hate Ultramarines
1,297 Posts
I'd just get as many las-cannons, rocket launchers and even plasma guns, that i could get my hands on. Just play the waiting game and wait for them to come to you. Shoot from long range and hope for the best. I'd suggest taking advantage of cover aswell.

6 dreads will be incredibly hard to kill if your lacking las cannons and rocket launchers.

Either way, i wish you luck.

·
Supreme Evil Overlord
4,873 Posts
drop the predators and take havoc sqaud with ML/AC and tankhunters, these guys will eat through armour like notime, also 5 man sqaud with LC and tankhunter.
Raptors with meltaguns will help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
And, If you HAVE to move your dudes towards the dread, Melta bombs, and melta GUNS
could help.. Powerfists too!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Grand Master Belial said:
:w00t: SIX DREADNOUGHTS - Is that legal? (I will make it legal. - SW:I PM)

well, blood angels can deploy dreadnougths furioso as elites and standard dreadnoughts as heavy support... so i think yes, it can be legal

according to the thread, i'd choose small marine squads w/ infiltration and meltaguns, or havocs w/ 4 meltaguns & tankhunters, rather than predators, as your enemy will have to target infantry units.

obliterators are ok, but 5 csm with 2 meltaguns are 90 points!
so, 6 squads of 5 csm with 2 meltaguns costs 540 points!

that makes 12 meltaguns!

i try to minimize the costs so,i would bet for huge amount of small squads with antitank weapons. small squads can be a real pain if used wisely against a dreadnought army, and well, you can still combine them to attack his remaining infantry causing great pain.

as i assume that your lord will be the daemonic canopy, is worth taking him all those expensive mutations and equipment?

if you will still use your army, my strategy advice is:

try to begin batte in the 1st turn, try to wipe any heavy weapon firing capable dreadnought, try to evade close combat dreadnoughts, and then, finish his infantry. shoot every turn, and protect your predator. you must eliminate1 dreadnought per turn to win.

i think that's all

·
Registered
272 Posts
There is a new SM doctrine that let's you take 6 dreads, three of which can be venerable.

I think it's hedd the wisdom of the ancients, so they are elites or heavy.

I'd not take the tank. Yes, it can blow a dreadnaught to bits. But they should kill it first turn. ALmost guaranteed. And if they have venerables, they will have first turn, so expect that, and hide your guys.

Bloodthirster is a dreadnaught killing machine.

Make your Lord have stature plus strength, rune essence and flight, so the dreads can't instant kill him, he's fast, and can have 2d6 plus 6 for armour penetration. Also can rip through his squads.

Maybe instead of that tank take 6 havocs with missile launchers and tank hunters. the missiles are cheaper and can take out his few troops two. they may not even need tank hunters, but it's cheap enough, and 4 strength 9 shots should take out dreads pretty easy. however, they may be best served to take out his troops the first couple turn, so they don't get to close and tie you up in CC and block line of sight to his dreads. plus that is a high point squad that can only take out one dread a turn.

I feel sorry for the guy really. I think you'll rip him a new one. Like the oblits and your two HQ, specially if you follow my advice on the lord.

guess I helped.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Melta guns squads are good, but they need to be infiltrating, or else you're going to be taking some serious casualties on the way there. Also, you'll need 7 members to each squad in order to withstand all those assault cannons and the likes. Be sure to include an a.c. with a power fist, as you don't want to lose the squad in c.c., if the dread happens to charge.

A 5 man lascannon squad will be better for you than obliterators, because they will last longer (assuming you take the oblit for its lascannon...maybe I should not assume).

Your havoc squads should probably have 9 (rather than 7-8) members for the same reason as stated above. If your opponent goes first, then you really want him to have to commit to killing a squad. This will cause him to overcompensate more often than not, which will work in your favor for the rest of your army.

Good luck, and be sure to post the results. I think we're all anxious to know how it goes :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts