Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I just recently split the IoB box with a friend and bought a box of clan rats as well. My question for now is should I add ten more rats to each unit from IoB or should I make one big unit. 30 spearmen and 30 swordsmen? Or 20 spearmen, 40 Swordsmen? etc. From what I've seen swordsmen are the more popular choice over spearmen.
As for as expanding further, I'm feeling the plague theme right now. So Plague Monks are in my future along with a Plague Furnace. Thanks for your help and I look forward to playing Skaven!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm not a Skaven player but, FWIW, I think you'll find 20 is too small, especially for Skaven. So I'd suggest that you go for two units of 30 for now - and in future you'll probably want them even larger. Don't worry too much about what they're armed with. If you want to take two units with hand weapons, no one will mind a few models with spears mixed in the rear ranks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Competitively, clanrats lose to slaves every time due to numbers. If your taking clanrats, a bare unit of twenty just for the PWM/Ratling Gun/WFT is probably ok. you could even bunker a lvl 1 engineer in there if you wanted. If you prefer to use them as clanrats anyways (because you could always modify them somehow and make them cheap slaves) than at least a unit of 30 (5x6) or 40 would be better. For Hordes go for SV, PM, Slaves, or a LOT of clanrats.... 50+
Smaller games (for fun) which are probably under 1.5k 30 or 40 would be OK.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, thanks guys.
Yeah, I was going to ask when I should start ling them up in hordes. I did figure a number like 50 would be best. Especially since they need their Ld bonus from ranks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Don't horde them, you want the numbers or they'll just die and break because they can't kill any thing. If I were you I'd look on ebay for another cheap IoB set. This will give you a better core of 2x40 clanrats. I'd look for some cheap previous edition clanrats on ebay to use as slaves (or skull pass night goblins work well) and build up a couple of units of 40 of those as well. then from there you can get a hell pit abomination and doom wheel and your good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts