Librarium Online Forums banner

Lictor or Something Else? (See Post)

• Go with the Lictor!

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • You'll be better off with something else.

Votes: 12 75.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm building a tournament list for saterday and my question is not about my list but if you think that a lictor would be worth it, or should i get some more guants or warriors. Perhaps even a Ravener?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I so far have never gotten a lictor to do anything useful though I have given it an honest chance... I'd go with something else though exactly what depends on your list. If you already have plenty of bodies on the table, a ravener or warriors always work well for me. If you need more bodies, then more gaunts.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i like lictors. BUT, you have to run them in groups of 2 or 3... one lictor is never worth the points... we all know they are one hit wonders... but with 2 charging the same target (strategically) they tend to work a lot better. plus if its a tourney list your talking about... pheromone trail can be a life saver.

·
1,256 Posts
i like lictors. BUT, you have to run them in groups of 2 or 3... one lictor is never worth the points... we all know they are one hit wonders... but with 2 charging the same target (strategically) they tend to work a lot better. plus if its a tourney list your talking about... pheromone trail can be a life saver.
This is as true as anything that is on this site.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
It's very challenging to reliably earn your points back with Lictors. Their best value is pheremone trail in case you roll escalation.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It's very challenging to reliably earn your points back with Lictors. Their best value is pheremone trail in case you roll escalation.
I don't think lictors are a unit that buys thier points back. I see them as a unit that prevents your opponent getting his by killing your gaunts and tyrants with basalisks and sniping units. Take out a pie plater or tie up a shooty sniper unit for a turn = get safe approach for the rest of the swarm. I think this is a better view than the one whereby you need to make at least x number of point killings to get the lictors investment back.
that said I do agree that for what he does he is overpriced

·
815 Posts
I've had the lictor do something worthwhile once. I suprised a player and he didn't know what to do about it. Usually though most experienced players either ignore it, cover their deployment area so you can't get it into a decent position, or shot the snot out of it until dead. Lictors have pretty much the same problem as Raveners when trying to deep-strike.

It can be useful in cities of death type engagements where you have more than enough options to actually get it on the field.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
I'm very mathematical in my list building and playstyle, at least I guess I am. I tend to prefer a unit that accomplishes the task of preventing enemy units from earning their points / killing your points as per above commentary by Overmind, but I also want same units to be able to earn their points back independently. The Lictor performs only half of the above.

Again, this is not to say he'll always "miss," by definition he is a hit OR miss unit, but I do not find it the best investment of an elite force org selection in a purely competitive / over-all sense. That's all.

·
815 Posts
Yeah, I tend to agree. My units need to be able to play multiple roles. If a unit can only do one thing, and can only do it in certain situations, I won't field it. That's pretty much why I don't take lictors and biovores. Pretty much everything else in the nid list can serve multiple purposes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts