Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am very new to painting citadel models and i have recently took up the Necron army. So i am getting close to finishing my warriors and i was wondering, is theyre any sort of protective coating such as ClearCoat i should put on the models to keep theyre paint in good condition? As i said, pretty new, so please excuse any imperfections in my warriors :p

And if it helps, This is how i painted them:
Beasecoat of Black spraypaint followed by dry brushng boltgun metal over the body. Tin Bitz in the joints and head, snot green for parts of the weapon. And a wash of Devlan Mud over the Boltgun metal.

Toy Mecha Machine Fictional character Robot
Toy Machine Action figure Fictional character Art

Edit: This guy still isnt done yet, just giving an example of how i painted them

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
since you're painting metal robots... no.

some people like to dulcoat their armies, but for display pieces and models with lots of metalics, you shouldn't varnish them

Cheers
-DDW

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
since you're painting metal robots... no.

some people like to dulcoat their armies, but for display pieces and models with lots of metalics, you shouldn't varnish them

Cheers
-DDW
Thx for the quick response! And yeah, i wasnt sure about it, thx for clarifacation :) Oh, and i have now touched up *most* of the imperfections in some of these guys. And since it is my first army i am not expecting the level of perfection i have seen in alot of your models. Thx again!

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
if you're concerned about paint chipping, then yes, by all means use a clearcoat! A dull coat will tend to change their appearance, dulling the metals right down. A gloss coat should keep all the colours intact, if you like the shiny look. There's also a bunch of different satin clearcoats that tend to work really well. The top brands are pretty universally agreed upon: Testors Dullcote and Future floor polish are the big names for flat and gloss. Satins are more of a guessing game, I've had good results with Krylon clear matte (it says matte, but it's not nearly as matte as the Testors).

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
Yes, seems that Krylon went a bit towards satin with their Matte Clearcoat. Due to this I started using Testors recently. Also, a gloss varnish is considered "harder" than matte, so what some people do is use a coat of gloss, and then use a coat of matte/dullcote on top. I usually do two coats of varnish anyway...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your responses! Gonna be nice to keep my models in good condition, thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts