Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
994 Posts
christian he isnt spamming he has asked a question. the (looks for symbol) ^^^^^ means look above. as his question was the title of the post it means look there.

delta44 look in the codex and it says that a markerlight is used for a guidance for other weapons. the other weapons will hit on a 2+ if the enemy is markerlighted.

mods if this is against copyright then plese edit it, thanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
so do i shoot the markerlights first before any other gun i shoot? when i light something, do i THEN choose a weapon to light, or do i choose the weapon beforehand, then see if THEN see if the markerlight worked for that chosen weapon?

can i markerlight weapons in the same unit? (markerlighting for their own unit's railrifles?)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Originally posted by Rhino Driver@Nov 15 2003, 20:35
so do i shoot the markerlights first before any other gun i shoot? when i light something, do i THEN choose a weapon to light, or do i choose the weapon beforehand, then see if THEN see if the markerlight worked for that chosen weapon?

can i markerlight weapons in the same unit? (markerlighting for their own unit's railrifles?)
Yes, you shoot the markerlight before shooting with your other weapon...you choose a subject to light, like say a dreadnought, and then shoot at it with any gun for the rest of your turn...again you are not marking the weapon but the opponents miniture. :huh:

·
Registered
68 Posts
You are marking ONE enemy model for ONE of you models, that means only one of your models will hit on a 2+

·
Registered
353 Posts
Originally posted by Fae@Nov 16 2003, 05:32
You are marking ONE enemy model for ONE of you models, that means only one of your models will hit on a 2+
^^^Incorrect I think. I'm pretty sure you're targeting one enemy 'unit' for one of your own model's unfired weapons. The difference is important when it comes to using a burst cannon/ion cannon which would get the 2+ to hit for all 3 of its shots against said unit, and thus capable of killing 3 models, not just one, via the markerlight.

@rhino driver: I don't think you have to elect which unit the markerlight is spotting for beforehand. That's what slacker was saying I think, but I just wanted to be clear. You just shoot with the markerlight, and then that unit is marked for the remainder of that turn or until you use the mark for a 2+ to hit with any one weapon that hasn't yet been fired.

Tactically, I think it would make the most sense to use your markerlights right before you want their bonus to hit. That way you can avoid marking a unit for your hammerhead or something, only to have the unit wiped out by another one of your squad's firing before you got around to using your 2+ bonus. Probably obvious, but I thought it might be useful to think about. :huh:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I always thought that the codex said that the markerlight marks a target for one tau vehicle or model and the biggest bonus is being able to nominate the enemy model (sort of like marksmanship). The little info on the Pathfinders says that they choose the most valuable targets for others to destroy. The railrifle dudes only suffer from overheating if they engage the same target...I would think that target would mean model...or is it really unit?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I believe the rail rifles are only in danger of overheating if they target *different* units, not the 'same' unit or model. Though I don't have the WD, so I might be wrong.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The railrifle overheat if it has the target lock interface on it witch alows it to target other unit.

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is the horseshi*t they give us to mess with our minds!! LOL

If I use a markerlight to illuminate a unit (i.e. not a tank), is the whole unit hit on a 2+ or only a single model? If a single model, which one?
The whole unit is marked (be it tank, infantry or what have you). However note that only a single model, nominated by the Tau player that has not fired yet gains the
benefits of hitting on 2+ that turn.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Originally posted by The Exploited@Nov 17 2003, 09:58
The railrifle overheat if it has the target lock interface on it witch alows it to target other unit.
I thought it only overheated if you used the Target Lock to target another unit though, not just if it had it equipped. So, if you pay for the target lock but then decide to focus fire on one unit that turn, then you wont overheat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am utterly confused...when I look at the codex it says target...it doesn't say tank or unit...target to me sounds like you can choose the model...nominating who or what you want hit. This to me sounds better than unit because you would be able to choose who to get rid of...be it the space marine with an annoying missile launcher...or that independant character hiding among ranks. Why are the rules so ambiguous? Sorry this was my point I was trying to get across...

·
Registered
68 Posts
A good point but its probably best to assume it means unit, You are marking sfor one single gun in your army to hit on a 2+ be it a railgun or a pulse rifle

·
Registered
353 Posts
The rules are ambiguous, (sometimes), because GW are noobs and they like to sell White dwarf magazines so they intentionally release crappy and incomplete rules so that people keep buying WD to get the corrections... Or maybe I'm just cynical.

Anyway, I'm quite sure that this was addressed in a FAQ about the Tau, if it isn't clear in the codex, (I'm too lazy to look so I'll take your word for it).

Check out the Gw webpage, you can download the faq's for free, (ya I know I just said they're money grubbers, but they only give *some* stuff away for free d/l), in .pdf format.

The Tau one probably contains the clarification you're looking for. If you still can't find it I'll look myself... maybe...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the help...either way is great...multi-shot weapons against units or singling out irritating models...I shall try to look it up. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.