Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so one of my friends has been urging me to get some rangers and dark reapers for my eldar army but really all i ever do is charge like a screaming buffoon and surprise my opponent. heres literally my battle plan: banshees, harlequins, and scorpions walk directly behind/ride in a wall of wave serpents, falcons, and fireprisms. and i also play inquisition when im feeling more shooty. anyways, my question is: are the rangers like a squad of vindicare assassins in that they are used to pick off key squad members or what?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Rangers are like any squad of snipers, with stealth and move through cover.. Pathfinders are a squad of better snipers that rend on 5+ and get an additional +1 to their cover saves.

I use them to wound MEQs and lately i used them against a carnifex, which I avoided the whole game. They are decent units. people get discouraged when someone outflanks or deepstrikes and kill them.

·
1,273 Posts
i find them not very reliable, but they can survive in cover, they can perform miracles sometimes (kill a dread, kill a carnifex etc). ussualy do not expect them to be very deadly in a 5 man team.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Better than rend. (tho they do rend too.) the Rangers/Pathfinder sniper count as AP 1 on 5+ on to hit, combined with sniper rules (4+ wounds, rending and pinning), make them rather devastating against MCs, throw in a doom and you are set. also 2+ coversave make even small squads rather resilient to non focused ranged attacks.

They are more usefull in footslogging or hybrids armies than they are in mechanised ones tho, what with being rather "slow" to reposition. They are perfect to sit on cover near objectives tho. Just make sure you don't let assaulty stuff get close (pinning may sometimes help.).

·
Registered
123 Posts
anytime I use my rangers I find them to be a bit of a gamble. Rarely are they targetted unless the hold an objective (being troops) and then their 4+ coversave with the added stealth leading to a 2+ cover save makes them very hard to move (with the exception of an incoming flamer or the likes)

5 man squad averages 3 hits, 1-2 wounds, you can usually expect 1 death a turn.

In a larger squad you can expect more kills but they still only need 1 pinning test. It's this pinning test that can be useful.

In short, They produce very little kills, but they hold ground very well, heck even going to ground gives them a 4+ save. They will die in assaults, they will die from flamers. and at 120 points for 5 men they aint that cheap

but they can be fun :)

Dark Reapers are the the other side of the shooty spectrum

2 shots each means that a squad of 5 get on average 8 hits, thats 6 wounds on marines, thats 6 dead marines. the Exarch has a good selection of wargear to choose from too but with the added exarch, weapon and powers you will be talking around 210-220. for 5 men thats quite a cost.

very good for intimidating a unit. Many of my opponents deliberately avoid line of sight from reapers, that gives you control of where they go.

They can be fragile though, a number of AP3 hits could kill them off, 1 Battle Cannon could do it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
dark reapers are the pwn but are very very expensive and will get targeted really fast

in my last game i took a squad of 6 pathfinders with fortune and they were shooting at a doomed Nightbringer...it only took 3 turns to kill the C'Tan lol
but still saved my life

wit ha 2+ re rollable save i was shrugging everything off

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.