Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going for a Ranger / Light Infantry / Recon force, a kind of special company to cover any terrain ahead of a main battle group and scout in force

For actually presenting a challenge in a game I wanted to present no armour whatsoever, rendering anti-tank a waste of points, and I also appreciated a 95% infiltrating army. It gives it a very “ambush” type feel, with the unseen camouflaged infantry rising out of the cover and opening fire.

Doctrines: Light Infantry, Close Order Drill, Iron Discipline, Veterans

Command x1 (78)
1) Junior Officer, Light Infantry, 1x Veteran, Mortar. (Lasguns)
Officer: Boltgun, Iron Discipline
Veteran: Boltgun, Standard
- I can see him with a vox network for fluff reasons, however it’s cost stinks at this force size. I also wanted to take time and loving care over these mini’s, and be able to use them with my regular army and don’t want voxes in my squads – I just don’t use them.

Troop x2 (525)
1) Junior Officer, Light Infantry, Close Order Drill, Frag Grenades. (CCW & Laspistols)
Officer: Honorifica Imperialis, Power Fist, Iron Discipline
Squad, Light Infantry, Close Order Drill, Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter
Squad, Light Infantry, Close Order Drill, Auto Cannon
2) Junior Officer, Light Infantry, Close Order Drill, Mortar. (Lasguns)
Officer: Power Sword, Iron Discipline
Squad, Light Infantry, Close Order Drill, Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter
Squad, Light Infantry, Close Order Drill, Auto Cannon
- I’ve never put a power fist on an officer before, and don’t know how useful it’ll be. I would like a melee combatant in here somewhere.
I can’t see the problem of my opponent removing all models within 2” of him before he strikes occurring, as the rest of the squad are quite simply terrible. The problem is he may not get that far. And I have a spare command squad or 2, (2nd is a cheap backup for LD or a poor excuse for counter charge)With the standard only being in the main command, and close order drill on the line command squads I thought I’d kit them out accordingly.
I was trying to put effective rapid-firing anti-infantry weaponry in my squads, ut feel I should have more men.

Heavy Support x2 (250)
1) Basilisk, Indirect Fire
2) Basilisk, Indirect Fire
– The closest I could come to air strikes are basilisks, (I have existing guard and parts, and I like using them, Grey Knights don’t work for my fluff) however, basilisks are also quite effective and playable.

Elites x2 (142)
1) Hardened Veteran Sgnt, Boltgun, 4x Troopers, (Lasguns) Lascannon
2) Hardened Veteran Sgnt, Boltgun, 4x Troopers, (Lasguns) Lascannon
- The important anti-tank weaponry would be given to the best shots, the veterans.

Total so far: (995)

I’m thinking about adding Col Shaeffer and his men (As special Forces/Rangers) and maybe an Elite Inquisitor, due to the unknown horrors they may discover and the valuable discoveries they may make (Better straight into the hands of the emperor’s representatives than some lowly guard colonel.) It’s just a shame I can’t make him infiltrate.
I also have been toying with xeno mounted rough riders (Skinks with catchans) – a known effective tactic with basilisks,
Trying to get snipers in (vindicate sniper, or ratlings) but just can’t convince myself fluff wise.
And maybe a couple more line squads, and another lascannon or maybe remnants with a melta gun to round it off to 1,500 points

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
Pretty good list overall. I'm a little sceptical about the counterattack command as the officer can be picked out from what I remember.

As for the other things you have down snipers seem very fluffy to me. Just use normal snipers as ratlings, make up soem explanation about them being less tough eg. more time training their eyes than muscles, been out in advance for so long they are fatigued. etc.
They arent the best of units but would add something to this army.

Hope that helps

A

1 - 2 of 2 Posts