Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of expanding my chaos army from the basics and was looking at unit of havocs and or raptors. perusing my local GW the prices smacked me in the jaw!!! AU$ 60 for 5 havocs, which you can't even choose the weapons for!, and $72 for 5 raptors which would be hardly a 100 points worth of unit!

Determined NOT to buy these unless heavily discounted (ideas?) I am thinking of ways to convert these on the relative cheap. the most obvious trick would be to buy SM Devastators / assault marines and go from there, but I don't really know how that'd go. has anyone alse done this and/or know where to find out about it?

or is there someother way?

·
Registered
103 Posts
For my raptors I used the sprues with backpacks for assault marines and khorne berzerkers (because you get 12 of them in a box, the best deal for chaos). The old metal raptors aren't that great of models anyway. :X

For havocs...I guess it's tough. As I exclusively played emperor's children, all my havocs are blastmasters and converted blastmasters (which I can't field anymore!! - "counts as," anyone?), so I don't know about them. If I recall, the iron warriors box is a better deal on heavy weapons than the havocs box, but I don't even know if they sell that anymore.

·
LO Oldie
1,248 Posts
im in the process of converting some raptors using a box of normal CSM and the bag of 10 SM jump packs. Should be easy, just putting some chaosy spikes and s**t like that on the jump packs and thats it. As for havocs, well, there's not much you can do, except for either buying them anyways or converting them using SM or IG heavy weapons.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im in the process of converting some raptors using a box of normal CSM and the bag of 10 SM jump packsis GW still selling those back Packs? it would be rather handy but I thought they had gotten rid of all their bits...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Iaphyr, I had a similar problem with the latest costs from GW, so i did some Googling and some inquires and came up with this:

Scrap Dragon

The prices are (i think) 20% lower than the standard costs from teh store, all you pay is some postage on top! With the added bonus of forgeworld models can be ordered - though the owner waits til there is GBP$250 worth to get free postage on his behalf!

Hope this will help,

·
73 Posts
Iaphyr, I had a similar problem with the latest costs from GW, so i did some Googling and some inquires and came up with this:

Scrap Dragon

The prices are (i think) 20% lower than the standard costs from teh store, all you pay is some postage on top! With the added bonus of forgeworld models can be ordered - though the owner waits til there is GBP$250 worth to get free postage on his behalf!

Hope this will help,
Hmm... that site looks significantly more expensive than the GW store. $45 USD for a box of Plague Marines that retails for $35? No thanks. Check TheWarStore.net for a 20% discount on WH40k items :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmm... that site looks significantly more expensive than the GW store. $45 USD for a box of Plague Marines that retails for $35? No thanks. Check TheWarStore.net for a 20% discount on WH40k items :)
ill concede that, however the site quoted is overseas (nothing at all wrong with that), i am merely pointing out that if you want to keep it within the country (Australia) then Scrap Dragon is a viable alternative, for the price that store is quoting IS 20% cheaper than what we Aussies have to pay (its true AU$72 for 5 raptors),

then the bigger kicker comes in, because of the extremely strong Aus dollar - we can order stuff from America for insanely cheap - for this i agree with the others and would opt for TheWarStore....

Does he charge $4.95 for overseas shipping or is it only within the US?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah as decaf said. Scrap Dragon does do a better deal (GW prices really are significant;y higher here) battlewagon bits seems like on ok deal, but once conversion and P & P are done, 5 jetpacks will end up costing about thalf the price of the box, which i would rather get for all the spare stuff.

don't forget also that the US dollar is worth jack here, so scrap dragons prices are quite good if you are paying with AUD, it's just a pity that S Dragon don't do bits, and GW does do jump pack sprues anymore.

does anyone have pics of done raptors?

·
59 Posts
I’m building a troop only army and orders all my heavy weapons from TheWarStore.com
2 SM Devastator Lascannon Plastic $6.99
3 SM Tactical Sqd Melta Gun $2.99
2 Chaos Marines Flamer $1.99
1 SM CC Terminator Lightning Claws Sgt $4.99 (for my lord convert)
1 Chaos Marines Heavy Bolter Set Belt Fed $2.99
1 Cadian Hvy Wpn Heavy Bolter x3 Bits $3.75 (are way cheeper)
Total $44.61 after shipping. That’s less than buying+shipping a Havocs set and I get what I want.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats true. How do you plan to get the cadian Heavy bolters on the marines? they look like two very different weapons (the HB"s), or are you going to have them tripod mounted?

·
59 Posts
thats true. How do you plan to get the cadian Heavy bolters on the marines? they look like two very different weapons (the HB"s), or are you going to have them tripod mounted?
I was thinking of having a CSM lying down with the bolter on a tripod or add a handle, shoulder strap and mount them rambo style with the ammo can in the other hand.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i just bought the 5 raptor pack you were talking about, im assuming you're from australia since you were looking at AU prices? I have no idea what shipping costs are like to AU, but i know of a store that sells almost all 40k models and boxes for a clean 25% off all the items compared to GW prices.

It only had one model that could hold a special weapon(came with flamer, melta, plasma), which i found mindboggling since the rulebook allows you 2. It has multiple options for the aspiring champ as far as choice of regular pistol, plasma pistol, and a lightning claw, which i found odd compared to the lack of options for the regular troopers.

also, just to point out, 5 raptors with an AC , properly equipped, can run 175pts easily. If you wanted to simply add more raptors for CC reasons, or i guess for another couple pistol shots before you charge? you would have to buy 2 blisters, which i hate, but thats the way they have it set up currently unfortunately.

I made a post in this forum about the subject of the difficulty and expense of buying extra weapons and models simply to equip my units the way i want. If i buy a boxed set i might as well get all the weapons i want, otherwise why not just buy them separately as blisters and ensure i get exactly what i want? more costly i guess, but cheaper if you consider buying bits from warstore to get the items i need ($3 for 1 plasma gun for instance)

·
kut maar krachtig
1,323 Posts
well I'm also going for a list whihc include's havoc's and raptor's.

My idea for the Havocs is just to get my thousand son bits and combine them with the blister havocs (needs 3missle launchers) Whihc will cost some money but I like the look of choas styled weapons.

For the raptor's I'm alos using my normale Thousand sons boddies with the CC weapons But I'm Putting them on flying disc's so they are still jump packers.

As you see you can work around the raptor's easily But the havocs are a bit more tricky It depends on what style of army you want to acomplise and how much money you realy want to spend.

·
438 Posts
For my havocs, I actually used the regular plastic chaos marines, some heavy weapons from the imperial guards cadian plastics (like the heavy weapon platoons, or just bitz ordered) and then some left over chaos vehicle bits to spike em up (and who doesn't have some leftover chaos vehicle bitz?). Wind up needing to cut and re-glue the marine arms a little to hold the weapons right, but it turns out well, and for much cheaper and easier to handle then the metals or the limited box set.

For my raptors I'm doing a different conversion. I never cared for thier backpack look so I just opted for, once again, basic chaos marine models, but then ordered several sets of little daemonic wings from the reaper minis line off of the Warstore.com. Just pop the wings on instead of backpacks and you've got daemon-winged raptors! Or you could try bitz-ordering several of the winged backpacks from the new possessed models (it does look pretty awesome). Probably be pricier to get that one though.

Or if you feel really ambitious (and know someone with some nid bitz to get rid of) you can use hormaguant limbs as a great skeleton for greenstuffed wings and make em yourself. See what I'm talking about here. Just another option. Might wind up cheaper then some others, but would be more time consuming.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts