Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only played once, so please take a look on this list and comment.

By the way how come that, it costs 25 points for warp blast on page 40, tyranid codex and it costs 20 points on page 10, for the hive tyrant.

Here is the list:

HQ:

Tyrant 182 Point
Hive Tyrant 74
Winged +40
Adrenald glands +4
Toxin sacs +8
Extended carapace +15
Scything talons +8
Lash whips +8
Synapse Creature free
The Horror free
Warp Blast +25

3 Warriors 93 points
Warrior 14
Enhanced senses +2
Toxin sacs +3
Deathspitter +10
Scything +2

Troops:

8 Hormogaunts 80 points

8 Hormogaunts 80 points

8 Genestealers 128 points

Elite:

3 Lictors 240 points

3 Warrior brood 99 points
Warrior base 22
Scything talons +2
Rending claws +6
Extended carapace +3

3 Winged warriors 132 points
Warrior 14
Winged +14
Adrenal glands +2
Toxin sacs +3
Extended carapace +3
Scything talons +2
Rending claws +6

Fast attacks:

8 Gargoyles 80 points

8 gargoyles 80 points

3 Raveners 135 points
Ravener base 35
Scything talons +4
Rending claws +6

Heavy support:

Old one eye 164 points

Army Points: 1493

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn... you're right they are FA. Then I should probably drop the raveners and get some more gargoyles or I should get some scythegaunts. Or join the gargoyles in one brood.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Join the Gargoyles into 1 brood. Gaunts (and gargoyles) should be in larger broods. It allows you to put in things like Hive Nodes (though not for the Gargoyles, they don't need it). Actually, looking at your army, your pretty synapse heavy, so you may not need Hive nodes. Still, "Quantity has a Quality all its own."

Use the cheaper Warp blast cost, the expensive one is a misprint. Check out the FAQ on the Games Workshop website (go to the 40K page and click on Chapter Appoved, the Tyranid FAQ is there).

For your HQ warriors, do they each have 2 weapons? And no Venom Cannons? And your winged warriors? Only one set of Rending Claws each and 1 set of Scything Talons and they'll be fine. Two Rending Claws on a Warrior does nothing for it.

I'd probably drop Old One Eye for a VC or Barbed Stranger carrying Carni to provide some long range support. They won't be as good in HTH, but Old One Eye may not get into battle with a 6" move. At least a gun toating Carni can do some damage.

I never like giving anyone lash whips that don't already have it. Think about it, your wasting a TMC (Tyranid Monsterous Creature) attack in exchange for a "weapon" of questionable value. Thats what Tyrant Guard are for.

If you find that you lack long range support, throw in a group of Biovores. They are great anti-troop weapons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree. Drop the Lash whips and give him some more Scything Talons. If you want to give him a gun, drop the Warp Blast. Use one, or the other, but not both. Personally, I give mine 2 scything talons and wings, because I feel the 5 close combat attacks are nice, expecially when he can get on in there really quickly. You COULd give him reding claws, but that really wouldn't help THAT much, but it would a little. The thing is Monstrous creatures ignore saves anyway, but they don't auto wound. But, with Strength 7 (assuming you have Toxin sacs) You shouldn't really care about that. And you may want your warriors to have some venom cannons, but not the winged ones, just give them scything talons and rending claws, and they'll do fine :) I guarantee it. The raveners are good, but I've never found a good use for Gargoyles. Too expensive to be put on the field en masse, but too weak to only be able to field a few of them. You'd be better off with another Ravener brood or The Red Terror (army would have to be over 1500) And I may have missed it, but where are the Genestealers? As weak as their Save may be, they will either draw fire away from other units, or get in there and screw some people over. Win win situation :) I use only hormagaunts to keep my list down, so I can field more nodes, but the termagaunt hormagaunt thing is always cool. I also would recommend that if you field a carnifex, put it near some tyrant guards that it can join, Otherwise it's gonna get shot to hell. (Once again, 2 scything talons :) So useful....) And those Tyrant guards can actually do some fair damage in close combat, so it's not like your only taking them as living shields. Don't mix them with your Hive tyrant though, or it'll slow him down. But yeah, everything else seems good.

Oops, just saw you had Genestealers :unsure:

....and Only Hormogaunts....lol, sorry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx alot for your perspective, but ain´t it better to have alot of broods instead of larger broods. (2 * 8 instead of 1 * 16) You can attack more places and tie more units up in close quarter fighting. Just wondering..... And if you don´t use the hive node mutation, what is it good for then(to have large broods)...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Its better to have a lot of larger broods. :D

Larger broods last longer and work better in close combat. Smaller broods are more flexible. The problem with Tyranids is that they don't last long. Smaller broods may not make it into close combat, and if they get into range to tie up an enemy, you'll be lucky if its for a turn. Marines, on the other hand, are pretty tough. Plus they get x number of special weapons no matter what the size of their unit is, so they can do the small Tac squads or Heavy Weapon squads and make it work better then the Tyranids.

The Tyranids can be played 100 different ways, however. I don't think the gaunt poor/warrior strong army is very typical, but that doesn't mean it won't work. It'll certainly suprise a lot of people when you play Tyranids with a minimal number of troops.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.