Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LO Zealot
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking through what other bugs I should look into getting. I proxied Lictors and was not impressed. I keep hearing how everyone likes Ravenars. I poked around to find out what upgrades people give them. In one tactica I found a decent description of what to expect with the ranged biomorph enhancements, but nothing on CC biomorphs.

Just curious if people find rending worth the loss of an extra attack in CC?

Is DSing them worth it, or just sneaking them up the board better?

Also, what size base does it use so I can proxy them in my next game?

Thanks!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Just curious if people find rending worth the loss of an extra attack in CC?

Is DSing them worth it, or just sneaking them up the board better?

Also, what size base does it use so I can proxy them in my next game?

Thanks!

Rending is definitely worth it, no question about it. The only time I would say it might be a wash is against IG and maybe Orks, but even then I think the Rending might do better.

If you deepstrike them they will come out inconsistently and they could get shot up before you even get to move them unless you are lucky and manage to keep them out of LOS. Definitely move them up the board in small groups (even single Raveners are useful for support or surprise strikes). They are fast. Keep them out of sight and wait for the right moment to use them, such as striking at a tank or supporting something else in CC. They don't really need synapse with their high leadership, so don't worry too much about that. Remember, they are a surgical strike unit - think of them as a special operations unit. They can support or take objectives, but they are also fragile. Expect them to die most games.

The ravener uses the medium size base, same as the warriors.

Good luck!!!

Reactions: magnet_man

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
Deep striking is entirely not required. Make sure to deploy them in small groups of 1-2 ... use all your force chart selections in fast attack liberally.

With fleet and a 12" charge, and in small enough squad sizes to effectively "hide" them on most boards / in most situations, you should just move them up. Deep striking usually results in smoked raveners, since your opponent has a free turn to fire on them, and they operate at only a 5+ save.

They are impact units, and are not durable. Equip them with rending claws and scything talons, and use them to target enemy "elite" and high value targets.

They fare generally poorly against large ork or imperial guard units, b/c their low save and relatively low # of attacks / point results in them getting mobbed under. They are absolute murder to anything MEQ, and to terminators and the like. That is what they are best used against.

·
529 Posts
Against hordes you need to use raveners as part of a balanced breakfast, not on their own. Lock down large target units with gaunts or rippers and bring the ravs in on one side to touch a limited number of troops. This gives the raveners a decent chance to kill everything they are touching. And this minimises the food's return attacks and keeps your raveners alive.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Against hordes you need to use raveners as part of a balanced breakfast, not on their own. Lock down large target units with gaunts or rippers and bring the ravs in on one side to touch a limited number of troops. This gives the raveners a decent chance to kill everything they are touching. And this minimises the food's return attacks and keeps your raveners alive.

Basically use Raveners like shock troopers,
Or like a dagger user in just about any video game,
or like the New England Patriots(for most of the regular season).

HIGH OFFENSE NO DEFENSE!

^_^

·
Registered
508 Posts
Use Raveners like you'd use close combat warriors. Except Raveners can actually keep up with your crap, while close combat warriors are a joke.

And generally, giving Ravies guns is a waste of points as well.

Use them as 'seargents' for your gaunt squads. Tee hee, wouldn't it be fun if we had hidden, rending Reveners for our gaunt squads? >.>

Reactions: magnet_man

·
Registered
37 Posts
think of them as genestealer's that have grow really big and really fast, there best ablity is to charge from behind cover and dive into an unit and kill everything that would even hit them back.

they are only slightly more points per wound then a genestealer and gain alot of speed.

i find that for a shooting heavy list take raraveners because they are much better then genestealers at counter charging

if u have a more CC army then genestealers are a better option(but still take 3 to fill up the Fast Attack spots in bigger games)

:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Raveners are an easy choice in the Fast Attack column and are a bit easier to fit into your list than 'Steelers which compete for valuable Troop/Junk Deploy slots (if you're a spiney fan, and if you're not you probably should be). Given 'em ST & RC and use 'em as cleaners in units of 2 or 3.

·
LO Zealot
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was in 1000 pt tournament this past weekend and used hormy's and genestealers as my troop choices. The hormagaunts did not disappoint, they were by far the most effective unit.

With this in mind, I'm hoping the ravenars will help by adding some punch to finish up some squads that can tie up the gaunts for too long. Daemons are especially annoying, although I don't know if ravenar's will help particularly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.