Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Lurking in the dark
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While flipping through my codex for the umpteenth time, it suddenly struck me...

A unit of 6 raveners (max) could do this in one round

move 9"
Shoot a whopping 36 shots (although only 12" range, str3 )
charge 9"
attack 30 times in close combat first round.
they're str&toughness 4, 2wounds, WS5 and a 5+ save. and the base cost is 35pts.

that's not so bad is it?

As I don't have the minis yet, I don't know if they're actually that good in real combat, anyone have any comments?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The more attacks you have, the chance of killing opponents i drasticly higher.
Strenght? Naaaa, just the same as spacemarines...but good enough...
A bit expencive though, and with the amount of shots they have, they could seriously lower the number of lucky close combat opponents they will fight...

Kasutta!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Ohh!
And one more thing...
If they shoot the enemy to death, that could leave them open for others to shoot at them. Though...that counts for all armies...

Ahh well.

Eztrovia!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The devourer armed ravener was a standart configuration before 4th edition assault rules took away lots of power from short ranged weapons.

A better way to arm them is with devourer and rending claws (24 rending claw attacks on the charge unless you shoot), or scything talons and rending claws (the full 30 rending claw attacks). I prefer the last version.

Of course, you could also use winged warriors. One attack less, but S5, they are faster and have a 4+ save which is a great improvement to 5+ due to all the AP5 weapons out there. They cost 45pts each though...but they're scary.

jwu

·
Registered
8 Posts
Leaping warriors cost lest than the winged ones, and are more efficient than Raveners (compare power to points cost)...they're only like 38 each, right? Not too sure, no dex on hand (lent it to one of the mates, haven't got it back yet :roll: )

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Raveners are inferior to Warriors - but they have a certain advantage: their small broods.

Move them towards the enemy army. Your opponent has to choose, either to waste a lot of firepower to a single model (total overkill), or to get tied up in close combat next turn.
Warriors cannot do this, they have to be at least 3 models per brood. Sacrificing them for such a purpose would be a waste of points.

jwu

·
Registered
64 Posts
yeah,
but a tank like say a predator anihalator which has moved (so only has one weapon anyway) would probably just blow it off the battle field.

then again, that's another lascannon not aimed at your Hive tyrant or 'fex but its probably moved into a better postion to target them next turn anyway

·
Registered
41 Posts
Heres how it goes in my opinion. Instead of 6 raveners moving in fast i would pick 2 broods of 8 gaunts or 1 brood of 16 to get the job done cheaper and more efficiently. The 2x assault move of bounding leap is plenty enough to make up for a ravenes movement. I equip my gaunts with spinefists and boundling leap for 8 points each. On a charge hormagaunts with a squad of 16 get 48 attacks for only a little more points. Thats what i do with my points anyways.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Razorfex, why use spinefists? just 2 pts cheaper, I would prefer their basic ones... any suggs?

3 Carnifexes with Barbed strangler and mutated strength... imagine what that can do! 9 S Ord blast... ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
digimon, the bioweapon strengths are dtermined by the carnifexes basic army list strength -- 10. in the biomorph table, the strength is 9, and therefore the maximum str the barbed strangler can have is str 8, because 10 is the maximum. 10-2=8. thats still bloody good for anti SMurf tactics, even though it isn't a direct fire earthshaker with 24" range, no scatter or ap value.

·
Registered
81 Posts
ANYthing T4 or under will usually make a point of staying well away from the 'Strangler-armed Fex. Give him that and Talons, and you've got a tough beastie that stands a good chance of hurting anything, and instakilling half the units in the game.

If there's a model in your army that does best with a VC, it's the Tyrant. He gets more shots and the S+2 is wasted on the Fex anyway.

(Another neat trick: Custom Hive Fleet rules; upgrade a squad of nine warriors to 4+Sv and S5, arm them all with VCs as a Heavy Support choice. Eighteen 36" S7 AP4 shots a turn, on the move. They can and will hurt any unit in the game. I've seen Monoliths and Land Raiders die to them in one volley.)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Remember, instakill doesn't automatically negate armour saves - so a S8 barbed strangler isn't that good against power armour. What you can effectively deal with with such a strangler will also get killed without problems by gaunt hordes or biovores (so you already have another, a lot more efficient artillery!).

Sure, the strenght bonus of a venom cannon is "wasted" on a carnifex, but that's not a sufficient reason to accept the strangler's malus. The venom cannon is superior exactly where you need it, when it comes to tank killing at ling range. On a carnifex, a venom cannon is equal to two railguns which were shot at a skimmer that moved fast or against another hull down vehicle, with an effective range of 42". Most vehicles will be moved to hull down positions anyway, so the venom cannon's inability to score penetrating hits isn't that bad. A barbed strangler on the other hand is just a krak missile with halved range against vehicles (unless they're open topped).

jwu

·
Registered
96 Posts
Originally posted by Nightwalker AK@May 11 2003, 00:33
(Another neat trick: Custom Hive Fleet rules; upgrade a squad of nine warriors to 4+Sv and S5, arm them all with VCs as a Heavy Support choice. Eighteen 36" S7 AP4 shots a turn, on the move. They can and will hurt any unit in the game. I've seen Monoliths and Land Raiders die to them in one volley.)
M8, land raiders and monoliths are 14 armour all round. VCs are S7. A dice has 6 sides. Do the math.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Originally posted by Nightwalker AK@May 11 2003, 07:33

or, you could put them as an HQ choice, freeing up that vital heavy support choice for another carnifex or zoanthropie brood.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Lol.. isn't 7+6 = 14? guess mine maths is bad too...

Against vehicles use ur STEALERS! with rending claws one 6 is enough to kill almost anything... 5+6+3 is enough...

Concerning warriors as a hvy supports choice... they're maybe only good against vehicles and horde armies... so I see no use with them... much better and fun and nids like to kill everything in HTH... ;)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
S5 stealers?
Toxin sacs are a waste of point on genestealers, they're horribly overpriced.

Against vehicles, most things with venom cannons will do a good job, or preferably warriors with rending claws (who can have that strenght upgrade for moderate cost).

jwu

·
Registered
96 Posts
Me is totally for stealers against tanks, though TBH the thing that kills most tanks is dropping a bioacid mine on the rear armour. Whatever way the flamer template falls, it hits the rear first.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.