·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently I only have the Tyranid Codex but I have been
watching the hive change and develope over time and now
its time to buy the Hives new recruits. For the most part I
got the list layed out at:

x3 Battle Force (Priced around 80 US dollars apiece at Ebay)
x1 Hive Tyrant
x1 Box of gaunts
x2 Lictors
x2 Zoanthropes
x2 (new) Biovores + Extra mines

Here I stop with 80 dollar to spend and a 15% discount on
anything I buy(well 7.5% cause tax). I was thinking to get
5 packs of gargoyls and 2 guards or two raveners or another
lictor and zoanthrope.On the other hand I have heard Raveners
are a pretty decent killing machine but to me seem like a point
sucker. So I could really use an opinion because
I have never seen tyranids in person smashing an enemy with the new rules.

Any and all help will be most appreciated. :yes:

·
The Love Muffin
1,830 Posts
First off, Biovores got severly nerfed in the new rules, I wouldn't touch them.

Now Raveners, I think, are amazing.

For 40 points, you have a model that has 5 rending attacks on the charge, deepstrikes, doesn't need synapse, assaults 12", fleets, and can mount a ranged weapon. Of course their major downfall is their 5+ save but thats easy to get around by moving them through cover.

All in all, I really do think they are great. I use 3 of them in almost every nid list I make.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
I personally really love Ravaners and I think they are powerfull and effective for their point cost. Like Kataliyst said, I woudn't touch Biovores. Gargoyles are pretty good to (I think) and can zoom up the flanks and with the Bio-Plasma attack they can be pretty effective.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I find Raveners effect when used wth another unit. For example, for my squad of 12 homries, i run a Ravener along side it. They can keep up extremely well. There will most likely be synapse near by tp stop any instant killing as well. They add a nice kick to the assualt of the hormies, especially with the rending against MEq's. It also forces the opponent to either shoot at the rav with the squad that is about to be charged, or the hormies. They could always use another sqaud to shoot at them, but would reduce the incoming fire to your other units. I give them two thumbs up!!! Also, run them in seperate squads if possible to reduce the effectiveness of incoming fire due to their poor armour save.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Raveners are awesome! A great all around unit as noted before. I always use mine (4) and I have some of my opponents afraid of them now. I usually give them the Devourer, for all those attacks with rerolls. Just a little extra surprise before they charge 9" and shred...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Black Katalyst said:
First off, Biovores got severly nerfed in the new rules, I wouldn't touch them.

Now Raveners, I think, are amazing.

For 40 points, you have a model that has 5 rending attacks on the charge, deepstrikes, doesn't need synapse, assaults 12", fleets, and can mount a ranged weapon. Of course their major downfall is their 5+ save but thats easy to get around by moving them through cover.

All in all, I really do think they are great. I use 3 of them in almost every nid list I make.
I thought Raveners did need synapse, but could be wrong. Even if they did, their Ld is high enough anyway so it won't matter.

The biggest plus is that you only need 1 to make a scoring unit. So for 120 pts you have 3 fast scoring units.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
FistofManheim said:
Just a little extra surprise before they charge 9" and shred...
They don't charge 9", anymore. They're Beasts, after all.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Laplace said:
I thought Raveners did need synapse, but could be wrong. Even if they did, their Ld is high enough anyway so it won't matter.
True, they don't need Synapse to act independantly from the army, but it certainly helps when Missile Launchers and Powerfists start hitting.

·
Registered
211 Posts
where does it say they don't need synapse? I thought they did... (the book doesn't say anything about a telepathy or something) and maybe i'm just being a newb but MEQ... what does that stand for?

·
529 Posts
Ostsol said:
True, they don't need Synapse to act independantly from the army, but it certainly helps when Missile Launchers and Powerfists start hitting.
Truly - inside synapse range, annoyingly resistant to instant kill. Outside synapse range, vulnerable to anything they don't kill first.

I've found that raveners work best when they can kill everything in base contact with them before it gets to strike back. Based on this I aim my ravs at the ends of units (if they're deployed in a standard firing line) rather than their centres. I expect each ravener to kill one or two MEQs per attack, so two raveners should get into base-to-base contact with two to four marines at most.

I don't think I'd send them up against DE wytches or enemy genestealers if I had a choice.

As Marvus has suggested, raveners are much more durable when you have something cheaper to tie up the rest of the target unit and stop it hurting the precioussses.

A final act of terror that raveners are good for is assassination of vehicles or HQ units. With a possible 24" threat range, raveners can often get to back-line support vehicles or HQ by turn 2 - and with rending claws and five attacks, they're equipped to potentially wreak havoc on just about anything. Also, I have not yet made it happen but I think that raveners supporting a lictor assault in turn 2 or 3 would be a scary thing to behold.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I'm speaking in practical terms. They're still vulnerable to Instinctive Behaviour, but their Leadership is high enought that it's not much of a worry. It's certainly possible for them to fail the test, but the possibility is small enough (1 in 12) that it's often worth it to risk having them out of Synapse Range for a few turns.

EDIT: Well, you still have to watch out for those S8+ weapons, of course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts