Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone just started collecting raven guard and would like some ideas of what to take with Captain Shrike in a 1500pt army.

I am sure you are aware that Shrike carrys the fleet tactics and allows eveyone in his army to have fleet.

So far i have

HQ - Shrike 190
Elites - 5 CC Terminators 200
Transport - Land Raider Reedemer 250
Troops 1 - 5 Scouts with POwer Fist 100
Troops 2 - 10 Tactical with Drop pod and Melta - 215

Any advise on what else remember this army will gain the fleet Ability so some nasty all out killing and some more tactical options please

Thanks

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Welcome to the Raven Guard! As a fellow Shadow Captain, let me be the first to point you to LO's own Raven Guard (and successors) clan, which you can find in my signature by clicking the Sons of Deliverance Clan link. We're amassing all Raven Guard and successor players so that we can all bounce ideas off of one another.

Second, how fluffy of a list are you looking at? Are you looking purely at the competitive nature of the game, or are you looking for a list that would make sense in terms of fluff? If you check the Space Marine Index 2008 thread stickied at the top of this forum, you can find an article there called "Designing a Fluffy Raven Guard Army List." It was written with 4th Edition in mind, but until I rewrite it, most of the concepts remain the same under 5th Edition rules.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Lord of Shadows
603 Posts
hi everyone just started collecting raven guard and would like some ideas of what to take with Captain Shrike in a 1500pt army.

I am sure you are aware that Shrike carrys the fleet tactics and allows eveyone in his army to have fleet.
Hi there! Welcome to the Raven Guard. I play a RG successor, and worshiped the wealth of information that Lost Nemesis has provided for a long time now. Definately give his posts a read as they'll help you make a very effective army.

As for what you've got so far, let me pick it apart a bit.

HQ - Shrike 190
He is 195points, but still an epic buy! Definately never leave home without him =)
Fleet really does help, as it makes our assault marines some of the fastest moving units in the game.

Elites - 5 CC Terminators 200
Nice choice. Lightning claws would work well here, giving lots of re-rolling goodness on top of their great armour! =)

Troops 1 - 5 Scouts with POwer Fist 100
Nice little starting point too. I'd be tempted to take 10scouts and split them into combat squads though. Free sniper rifles help here as well - it's just a shame the new codex has reduced our scout's ability to hit anything =(

Troops 2 - 10 Tactical with Drop pod and Melta - 215
Again, annother good start with the drop-pod, how-ever get your fingers into the codex and really look at the different free options you get with the tactical squad - you'll quickly find you can take more than just a melta gun =)

Transport - Land Raider Reedemer 250
Here is where I would disagree. A Land Raider is a pretty big commitment and a massive target on the battle field. Any opponent worth fighting would target that with every anti-armoured unit he has until those 250points are worthless. A devistator squad would be a much better option here. I'd give them a drop-pod to get them in the right place on the board, and run them into cover.

Other options you realls should consider are assault marine squads and Sternguard. Attach a 10man assault squad to shrike and watch the carnage in close-combat. Or drop 10 Sternguard into a good position and abuse their different ammunition - most horde armies wont know what to do.

Anyway, I hope I've given you a couple of things to think about, and wish you the best of luck with your army!

Cheers,

CR

·
4,967 Posts
Shrikes ability to infiltrate with a unit makes a large assault marine unit ideal for him. Deploying 18" from an opponent guarantees you a first turn charge even with a fleet roll of 1".

Infiltrating scouts with the fleet ability can also get turn one charges if they deploy just over 12" away and out of LOS. their move through cover skill can also help with this.

I too am not overly keen on the landraider. Using a 250 point model as a transport for a 200 point unit doesn't make too much sense to me. Considder just making the termies 10 strong (combat squad them most of the time) and accepting that some will be gunned down on the advance. If you put 2-3 TH/SS models in each unit you can allocate good AP wounds such as plasmagun shots to the TH/SS guys to get the 3+ invulnerable save and allocate bolter hits to LC men.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Advise guys. My army as it stands.

HQ - Shrike - 195
Troops 1 - 10 Man Tactical Squad with Heavy Bolter, Melta Gun, SERG with Combi-Plama and power Weapon. - 200
Troops 2 - 10 Man Tactical Squad with Missile Launcher, Melta Gun, SERG with Power Weapon - 190
Troops 3 - 5 Man Scout Squad Pistols and Blades, SERG with Power Fist - 100
Elites 1 - 8 Man Sternguard Veterens With 3X Combi Meltas and Drop Pod 260
Fast Attack 1 - 3X Scout Bikers with cluster mines and grenade Launchers 110
Fast Attack 2 - 10 Man Assault Squad, SERG with Power Weapon - 205
Heavy Support - 10 Man Devastaor Squad with 2X Heavy Bolters and 2X Missile Launchers - 230

Total 1500

What do you think now??????

·
Registered
142 Posts
Will the ten man assault unit be infiltrating with shrike? if so so that a gaurenteed first turn charge with a power weapon, that will annoy most people on the first turn regardless of what they are playing. I like the mix of anti tank and anti infantry heavy weaponry that you ahve taken, you have the right tool for nearly every situation.

I love the idea for the sternguard veterans, id get a drop pod for mine but i dont have anyway to transport or keep them (space is at a premium) plus knowing me id drop them or something and nothing bounces quite like a tac marine.

I have the very same unit of scout bikes, they have caused havoc up to now, no seems to think theya re much of a threat becaseu they are only scouts, but the rapid fire grenade launchers and also the assault shotguns means there good in many situations.

Are you planning to combat squad the dev squad into halves with the HB in one and the ML's int he other or are you leaving them in the same unit and just combat squadding the bolter guys? I love this list, sounds like it would be interesting to play against.

·
4,967 Posts
It looks pretty well-rounded to me. I think the bikes are a good idea (though I am porbably biased... White Scars). Bikes can't run but having them with fleet should override that, extra bonus! Good idea.
In 5th edition fleet itself no longer gives a unit any additional movement, it just allows you to assault after using the run rule. As bikes can't run they gain no benifit at all from fleeting but at least you can move 12" rappid fire the grenade launchers and then assault.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts