Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on playing 500 points of my BT with 500 points of IG vs 500 points of Tyrannids and Eldar and want to know if I should play my speeder with asscan or regular razorback. I plan on running a 5 man bolter/ml/mg squad and a 8 initiate/6 neo/chappy squad and either a speeder/razorback. I normally don't play this low of points, but with 4 people we wanted to keep it small to start out with, so I'm stuck on what vehicle to go with. I've had good experience with speeders and I think the asscan would be good against whatever Eldar/Tyrannids show up, but the razorback would have the TLHB and possibly block line of sight against the enemy for a bit. What do you guys suggest? I'm open to any suggestions, but I have no heavy support vehicle to bring in or I would do that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would choose the razorback. Your squad inside wouldn't have to be worried about the tyranids until the vehicle is gone. Eldar have some pretty powerful weapons on their guardian squads, which he will probably take with only 500 points, so the speeder will probably be killed 1st or 2nd turn. Same goes with the razorback, but it doesn't give a kill point, and it gives your squad mobility if it is a objectives mission.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would choose the razorback. Your squad inside wouldn't have to be worried about the tyranids until the vehicle is gone. Eldar have some pretty powerful weapons on their guardian squads, which he will probably take with only 500 points, so the speeder will probably be killed 1st or 2nd turn. Same goes with the razorback, but it doesn't give a kill point, and it gives your squad mobility if it is a objectives mission.
Dedicated transports DO give kill points. Altough I do agree about taking a razorback at 500 instead of a Land Speeder.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Given the low points level the assault cannon speeder comes out (IMO) as the superior choice - the mobility coupled with S6 (which be be damn usefull should the eldar bring any warwalkers) makes it better than a heavy botler razorback against a greater range of targets.

At such low points getting in heavy weapons without comprimsing the list greatly is a challenge and one at which landspeeders in general excel at.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See, I am very torn between maneuverability and firepower. I know the Razorback would help block line of sight once it gets popped(lets face it, its only a matter of time in the game) and the tlhb is nice, but speeders can hold objectives and the asscan always has done well for me.

I think it may come down to a last minute toss up decision as to what to take, though I do appreciate comments and suggestions and if anyone has had personal experiences with small points games using a razorback/speeder let me know.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
but speeders can hold objectives
No they can't, they can only contest (much like a razorback on its own can) - they are just much better at it. The razorback can be a scoring unit if you keep the troops inside it, so it can double as mobile bunker for objective purposes.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
I'd not upgrade the weapon on the razorback, as it's a transport - don't distract yourself from moving as fast as possible toward the objective. The gun is there for supporting the unit once you get there :)

·
1,880 Posts
I'd not upgrade the weapon on the razorback, as it's a transport - don't distract yourself from moving as fast as possible toward the objective. The gun is there for supporting the unit once you get there :)

I support this! With Razorbacks' you'll want to move 12" and pop smoke at least ONCE if not more a game. Doing that with a cheap transport is better than having to move it like a tank. However, both are good for small points games. It just comes down to what you want to do with it. Move, carry troops, and HOLD objectives. Or move faster, fire weapons and blow up tanks (melta?) (light tanks with assault cannon). However, I'm a bigger fan of Razorback because armor 11 is better than 10 and it serves me for multiple purposes.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dedicated transports DO give kill points. Altough I do agree about taking a razorback at 500 instead of a Land Speeder.
I don't think they do. I thought they were considered a piece of equipment like a power sword, or boltgun.

·
1,880 Posts
I don't think they do. I thought they were considered a piece of equipment like a power sword, or boltgun.
They do...A squad with a Razorback also tends to be combat squadded, and they offer up 3 KP's, two 5 man squads and the razorback itself. So in KP missions it could hurt, but in all I love the razorback.

·
Registered
213 Posts
They do...A squad with a Razorback also tends to be combat squadded, and they offer up 3 KP's, two 5 man squads and the razorback itself. So in KP missions it could hurt, but in all I love the razorback.
But, wait. If It does count as a piece of equipment then It shouldnt give a kill point. You dont get three kill points for killing a chapter master with a power weapon and a plasma pistol, then why should you get a kill point from killing a transport?

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
But, wait. If It does count as a piece of equipment then It shouldnt give a kill point. You dont get three kill points for killing a chapter master with a power weapon and a plasma pistol, then why should you get a kill point from killing a transport?
It's not a piece of equipment, it's a unit in it's own right - just a unit that doesn't take up a slot on the FoC. Put it this way - if you can seperate the two in game, they are seperate kill points. If you can't, they aren't.

·
1,880 Posts
It's not a piece of equipment, it's a unit in it's own right - just a unit that doesn't take up a slot on the FoC. Put it this way - if you can seperate the two in game, they are seperate kill points. If you can't, they aren't.
Well put, you can't send your chapter master to one side of the table and his weapon to the other. But you can do so with a Razorback as it's a light tank...the squad then can act independently. My use of the razorback is always combat squadded. I hate to be outside cover and moving slow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts