Librarium Online Forums banner

What's the best turret to put on a Razorback?

• TL Heavy Bolters

Votes: 48 44.9%
  • TL Lascannons

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • TL Assault Cannons

Votes: 28 26.2%
  • TL Heavy Flamer

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Lascannon & TL Plasmagun

Votes: 8 7.5%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick survey to find out how people are using their razorbacks these days...

I've just been kit bashing the alternate turrets (Heavy flamer and assault cannon for now, as I'm out of plasma guns) and was wondering how much use people get out of the newer razorback configurations.

·
UnderWater Ninja-Tiger ..
785 Posts
As an Ultramarine player, I don't have access to the TL Assault Cannon version. Been using the TL HBs and an HK. The cost is low, and it provides cover and mild fire support to an advancing squad.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
TL assault cannons on a Razorback is in the new Marine 'dex (P135). Can't see anywhere it says ultra's can't take it... Sure you're not thinking of the Baal Predator?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I love the razorback for it's flexibility - it's the last thing I arm in my army and I use it to fill in any 'holes' weapon wise.

I find that i used t/l las cannons often as extra anti-vehicle when paired with dev squads, or t/l assault cannon when tacticals or command squad used it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I typically use my Razorbacks with heavy bolters as I'm usually low on anti-horde firepower anyway. I've found that if I slap a TLLC on it my Razorbacks they usually get shot up and they generally die rather quickly. I have been thinking about converting a heavy flamer variant however.

·
Registered
203 Posts
TL HB, cheap as dirt versitile enough to kill at least something.
It only needs to kill one or two enemy infantry models and it has already justified its cost.

I'm a bit surprised everyone seems to be equiping their with TL lascanons..... they seemt to die quick and ultimately pointless deaths with me

·
UnderWater Ninja-Tiger ..
785 Posts
TL assault cannons on a Razorback is in the new Marine 'dex (P135). Can't see anywhere it says ultra's can't take it... Sure you're not thinking of the Baal Predator?
I was completely thinking about the BAAL Predator! I'll need to see if I can squeeze a few points out and give it a shot... Although I'm already a little leery of the slightly shorter range, and the HUGE "Pop this transport, Now!", sign it will have on it.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I missed the option for twin linked assault cannons too. Having just got the Ravenwing box set from Wayland, I found myself with six assault cannons i didnt need. Now i know what to do with them. Sounds like a straightforward little project and i bet they will look the business.

P.S. voted for twin linked heavy bolters because thats what ive got.

·
Registered
237 Posts
tl ass cannon good tl pg and lc even better anti tank anti infantry anti hvy infantry killing power same price i belive as well correct me if im wrong (probably am)

·
Now w/ English voice-over
454 Posts
tl ass cannon good tl pg and lc even better anti tank anti infantry anti hvy infantry killing power same price i belive as well correct me if im wrong (probably am)
Well.. You're somewhat right..:
At less than 12" the LC/Twin Plas is the best against lightly armored targets (AV12 and down)..

At 24" it's still a considerate weapon, and again the best loadout for dealing with AV11/12 (The assault cannon beats it at AV10 due to more shots and at AV13-14 due to rending)

Above 24" it is inferior to TwinLC for obvious reasons..

This might sound good if what you need is to take care of light vehicles such as rhinos and chimeras.. There's however some isssues.. mainly the fact that the LC and Twin plas count as two weapons and thus you're only able to fire one of them if you wish to remain mobile.. Major downside..
Of course two weapons can be a good thing aswell.. should you suffer a weapon destroyed.. But yeah..

As for the other loadouts I'd say it really depends on what you want your razorback to do.. If you just want to transport a combat squad around the few extra points compared to a rhino to get twin heavy bolters is really worth it imho, even if you don't get to fire it often.. The other weapons however gives the razor more of a purpose and requires you to dedicate a bit of effort if you wish for it to this to earn its value back, the weapons ain't that cheap..

Twin Las is an obvious tankhunter.. It's also the weapon with the furthest range and you need to make good use of this as if you intend to get up close anyway you'd be much better off with:

Twin Assault cannon, multipurpose weapon - Shorter range than the LC but due to the abundancy of shots and rending its actually better at tearing through vehicles.. It's also decent at killing infantry and can even get lucky with rending against heavy infantry and monsterous creatures.

The final option is the heavy flamer, the most devastating weapon against infantry, short range though so there's a risk that you'll never get to fire it or that you'll only get to fire it once.. I'm not much of a fan of this one.. To make most use of it as a whole you need to transport a unit of CC guys inside and I think if you aim for CC you'd need more than just 6 guys.. also you definetly don't need to give the enemy one more reason to pop their transport.. Finally it feels too much like the immolator for me to like it in a SM army..

All in all I guess I'd stick to the cheap twin HB and the ever useful Assaultcannon..
The Twin Las and Las/Twin Plas works better in static armies.. It is my belief however that no army in 5th should be static, especially not Marines..

Edit: One also have to keep in mind that whatever weapon atop the razor apart from the HB makes it a priority target to the enemy.. thus less useful for actual transporting.. especially as the razor isn't the best armored vehicle in 40k.. The HB is often ignored however.. That's my experience anyway..

·
Registered
405 Posts
TLHB -- cheap and cheerful, and its gonna kill something!
meanwhile the TLLC is gonna get shot up on the first turn, so your down a transport

thats what everybody seems to be ignoring -- the transport capacity!
I know that if you take a razorback transport isnt the problem, you'd take a rhino instead

·
Registered
236 Posts
I voted TL Lascannon, because that is what is on it. I usually don't use my razorback unless it is un a very large point game (2k+) and with that large of points I usually have the room to fudge around. Having the ability to pop a tank with a transport is always nice. However I'm really starting to think about converting it to the TL Assault Cannon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
From my experience the Laserback usually dies on round 3 . At this point I have unloaded my troops and had 2-3 shots at enemy armour. If its the only tank you have its going to be shot to ribbons on round one but if there are several tanks on your side my opponents tend to concentrate their fire on things they perceive to be a bigger threat ( Landraiders, Predators, Whirlwinds).

I usually field 2 Razorbacks 1 with TLHB 1 with TLLC, and so far they did well.....

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
I'd usually stick with the Heavy Bolters. The other weapons are a lot of points to add onto a cheap transport, and can tend to paint a target onto it. I know if I was facing a Razorback which had assault cannons or lascannons, I'd be a lot more tempted to shoot at it than if it had heavy bolters. Especially since it's still a low AV vehicle, and should be relatively easy to take out.

But then that all depends on what other armour you have on the table. If you've got a land raider or a vindicator, there probably won't be too much fire heading for your razorback!

I realised today when i was assembling my Redeemer that the assault cannon turret fits perfectly onto the Razorback weapon mount, so if I was playing a game without the redeemer I would probably be tempted to put the assault cannons onto a Razorback and see what happens.

·
404: Title not found
2,845 Posts
I like the TL Lascannon option, but I always field one with assault cannons and one with TL Lascannons so I'm prepared for all situations.

~ DiW

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
If you're taking a Razorback instead of a Rhino, chances are you aren't interested in moving troops across the battlefield with it as much as you are adding some more big guns to your army list.

The best way to choose what to put on the Razorback is to look at your army list and find the gaps. If your gap is in the tank killing area, then mobile TL LC are pretty damn nice to have hanging around. If the gap is in killing lightly armored hordes, then go for the TL HB's...

There really is no "best" option, just whatever you need fill out your list.

·
404: Title not found
2,845 Posts
If you're taking a Razorback instead of a Rhino, chances are you aren't interested in moving troops across the battlefield with it as much as you are adding some more big guns to your army list.
I use them for both purposes as I have 2 small units of Grey Hunters which are perfect for mounting in Razorbacks.

~ DiW

·
Registered
129 Posts
I voted assault cannon its so good against hordes. Heavy Bolter is okay, but I play against lots of elite orks (sounds weird) with lots of 4+ so the assault cannon is better at that. Lascannon is okay but I use it on predators more because it is better at staying on the battlefield.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts