Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thing is a Carnifex I made recently. I called the Razorfex because of it's big claws. they are the stonecrusher claws from Forge world though I just have them as crushing claws. I decided to use actual crushing claws as it's legs to give it a more insectoid feel so that it would fit in better with my scorpion themed hive fleet. The actual stonecrusher claws themselves were fun to paint as they provivded quite a few options. Basically they could be carapace or exoskeleton or something else. In the end I went for a very dark green which is similar to the carpace.

The twinlinked devourer was fun to do on the top of the Carnifex. I used parts froma barbed strangler and three devourers linked together to make it. I used green stuff to blend it to the carapace of the Carnifex. I also stuck on the end of the left arm of a Tyranid warrior venom cannon to the devourer which I painted as an eye to represent enhanced senses as a bio-targeter. The bag or bit in the end of the devourer came from a Tyranid warrior barbed strangler left arm.

I cut off those normal vents and replaced them with barbed strangler gun barrels. I put spikes onto the them and used green stuff to fill in the tops to show it has toxic miasma. I chose the tusked head as I haven't used it before and it seemed good for the job. I also stuck the adrenal gland onto the underside of the Carnifex as it won't fit on the spinebanks on it's back. I filled in the gap it made with carapace parts and green stuff. The tail was also elongated to give the new legs it has more space. A coat hanger wire and green stuff was all that was needed. Comment, questions, critcism welcome.

o

·
Game Over boys
1,048 Posts
Stunning as every Leechy, I love the tail, and the eye is wicked. Did you gloss it, paint extra green bits on and gloss again? It looks really effective, youll have to share the technique so i can steal it!

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stunning as every Leechy, I love the tail, and the eye is wicked. Did you gloss it, paint extra green bits on and gloss again? It looks really effective, youll have to share the technique so i can steal it!
The eye was painted with a mix of dark angels green and black. Then I added a small amount of highlighting with dark angels green over the whole thing. I then used emerald green (not sure if they make that anymore) and painted on stripes. I also painted a strip in the center where the slitted pupil would be going.

I then used goblin green and then scorpion green to give the stripes more colour and then finally a mix of scorpion green, yellow and white. The last thing to do was apply a strip of black paint as the pupil and use a very small amount of black paint around the edge to shade it a little.

The eye was given gloss varnish and then after about a day when it would be really dry I gave it gloss varnish again. Basically the whole effect is caused by a series of layers being applied to the eye. Thanks for the responses.;)

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
Another awesome model by the great Leechy... I just love how slimy you get your models looking :happy:. Not really much to say, apart from its up the quality that people have come to expect from you. Totally amazing that is ;Y. Reppage for thee!

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Holy **** on a **** sandwich with **** on top and a side helping of ****....this is such an unbelievably awesome model! Absolutely incredible painting too!

·
Registered
121 Posts
O_O

That...is...AWESOME!!!

O_O

Great work dude, please for the love of god, don't stop!

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great job on the conversion and paint job. I love the translucent effect of your colours and washes
Thanks to everybody for thier comments, it is very much appreciated. I have got that ram carapace too I just haven't painted it yet.

About those washes and so on I like. I think they work well on Tyranids as it provides a kind of biological look to them. I use lots of drybrushing and shading first before I add the inks. I find that using all of the effects together works well and provides the model with texture and gives the translucent look that Meph spoke about.

I also like to use lots of highlighting after the inks are applied. I find this gives me more control and when painting control is important. I think I may work on a Carnifex with big guns next.

Again thanks to everybody for reponding.;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Love Bugs!! and this one is spectacular. Not just a fantastic conversion but a godly paint job. Kudos, dude. I wish I had a tenth of your talent. ;Y

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'm not a huge fan of Tyranids, though the model range is cool and that conversion is undoubtedly fantastic! Excellent work 8Y
Thanks. The Tyranid model range is lots of fun to mess about with. Converting things that can be given extra limbs without it raising too many eyebrows is always fun. Making Razorfex was fun and wasn't too fiddly as some of my conversions are. I think though that I will have to move on to a larger Carnifex with guns. Though I'm not sure if it should have a venom cannon and a barbed strangler or two devourers.:?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.