Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Ig Vs Sm

Tonight we played a game and came across two situations. Could anyone provide some clarification?

- - Can dreadnaughts fire heavy weapons and assault?

- - Can the SM Librarian use the psychic power Fury of the Ancients in one direction, wounding units to the left, say, then assault another unit to the right, or does the psychic attack which occurs in the shooting phase lock the librarian in, meaning he can no longer assault freely (having to hit the units he FotA'd)

we rolled for both in the game, but the dice gods are fickle. can anyone share some light?

·
907 Posts
the dreadnought is a yes it can shoot ans assault same as terminators with heavy weapons.

the use of this psychic power is used instead of shooting so he should assault the unit that he fired at initially.

·
Registered
394 Posts
About the Librarian, the only way he can assault a different unit than the one he used Fury of the Ancients at, is if the whole unit was wiped out. Then he may assault a completely different unit.

As for the Dreadnaught, since it is a walker it may shoot as well as assault the same turn.

Unless GW has changed the rules again...

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
The dreadnought can assault even though he shot a heavy weapon but he has to assault the squad he shoots at.

The Librarian must assault the squad he uses Fury of the Ancients on unless that squad is destroyed.

Ben

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
IAmAngel said:
The Librarian must assault the squad he uses Fury of the Ancients on unless that squad is destroyed.
Unfortunately, the rules make no such concession. If a unit fires at an enemy unit, then that is the only unit it may assault. If the enemy unit is destroyed, then no assault can be made.

Reactions: brushman

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
Unfortunately, the rules make no such concession. If a unit fires at an enemy unit, then that is the only unit it may assault. If the enemy unit is destroyed, then no assault can be made.
Oh, I thought this was how it was but reading the other posts made me think different. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
The rules don't state that either. In fact they are quite vague as to what happens if you wipe out a unit in shooting and then wish to assault. They simply don't state what you can do. I know at my club we play that you can assault another unit so long as the one you shot was wiped out and all other restrictions are checked. I also know of several other clubs that play the same way.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The problem is that the rules do not differentiate between shooting that merely damages the target and shooting that wipes out a unit. This leaves a literal reading as saying that there is no difference.

I think my opponents and I agreed on a compromise, though, a house rule. We decided that if the shooter passed its target priority test and wiped out its target, it could assault a different target. The test would be required, though, even if the player decided to shoot at the closest target. This could be explained in fluff as a successful target priority test representing a calm decision, while a failed test representing a great feeling of urgency to kill that close target, leading to a slower reaction once the target is dead. This does, IMHO, operate outside of the rules, though.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Sabe said:
The rules don't state that either. In fact they are quite vague as to what happens if you wipe out a unit in shooting and then wish to assault. They simply don't state what you can do. I know at my club we play that you can assault another unit so long as the one you shot was wiped out and all other restrictions are checked. I also know of several other clubs that play the same way.
P 36. You must assault the unit you fired your unit at. So, if you destroy the unit with shooting, you may not assault that turn.

However, that said, does fury of the ancients target a unit, or is it fired in a direction? If it's the later, then it shouldn't matter when it comes to assault.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
tarzen said:
However, that said, does fury of the ancients target a unit, or is it fired in a direction? If it's the later, then it shouldn't matter when it comes to assault.
That's my only real unknown about the whole issue. If it is indeed fired at a unit, then it's pretty clear that you must charge the unit in question.

The thing is that the SM codex says absolutely nothing about choosing a target. FotA travels in a straight line from the Librarian to any spot on the table edge, hitting any enemy units that it runs across on the way. Since it's not actually targeting anything (just shooting over thataway, hits whatever gets in the way), I'd view that as not locking you into charging a specific unit.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Agreed. If it's a point and shoot spell-nominate a direction / place on the board and the spell goes that way, then you have your answer. If it says-select a unit, then you have your answer.

·
21 Posts
Dreadnaught and assault

I too recently faced a dreadnaught with Imperial Guard.

One of my Lascanons scored a hit destrying it's armament. The right arm with assault canon was removed.

Next turn it was hit again and again armament destroyed.

The left arm Close combat weapon was now removed - Was this correct ?
The Dreadnaught then assaulted some Imperial Guard troops - Was it able to do so with no close combat weapon (assuming this was correctly removed above) ?

Thanks

Ian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts