·
Venerable Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetical Situation
Grey hunters activate their Standard and charge lets say Yarrick

1. Wolf Standard: allows re-rolls of any rolls of 1

2. Yarrik: all successful rolls to wound must be re-rolled

3. Rulebook p.2: No single dice can ever be re-rolled more than once regardless of the source of the re-roll

So, if any 1s were rolled, and those were re-rolled due to the wolf standard, causing wounds on Yarrik, they essentially by-pass Yarrik's special rule, and the successful wounds stand?
Conversely, if a roll caused a wound on Yarrik and so were forced to re-roll, then rolls of 1 on that re-roll don't get the benefit of the wolf standard?
That's how it reads to me, but I just wanted to confirm that.
I don't even use the wolf standard, but situations like these pique my curiosity

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
I just wonder though - the "Codex always trumps BRB" might come into play here. The two rules about re-rolls are found in the two separate codices, not in the main rulebook. Both are to do with specific rules for specific situations: Yarrick's forcing a re-roll of any successful wounding roll and the Wolf Standard's permission to re-roll 1s.

Wolf standard: rolling to wound Yarrick = re-rolls of 1s. Yarrick's rule then forces the successful wounding rolls to be re-rolled. Any 1s rolled *this* time cannot be re-rolled, since the Wolf Standard's rule has already been used. This is where I would see the BRB's ruling on "can't re-roll a re-roll" coming in.

Yarrick forces all wounding rolls to be re-rolled. Wolf Standard has not been used due to no 1s being rolled in the initial wounding attempts. Any wounding rolls are now re-rolled due to Yarrick's rule. Any 1s rolled following Yarrick's rule being implemented would be allowed to be re-rolled with the Standard's rules since it had not already been used. Yarrick does not get to force the re-roll of successful wounding rolls again, hence following the BRB's rule about "can't re-roll a re-roll".

I'm just musing out loud.

It's a class "hypothetical question", Takeda!

E.

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
I just wonder though - the "Codex always trumps BRB" might come into play here.
Codices trump the rulebook. But nowhere does the codex say that in this case you are allowed to re-roll a re-roll.
The codex simply grants (or forces) a re-roll, and the rules for re-rolls say never twice. It's like the codex saying that the weapon is rapid-fire, and the rulebook says what rapid-fire weapons can do. The codex states "re-roll" and the rulebook says "never re-roll twice" about re-rolls. Since neither of the two codices grants an exception here the rulebook's rules remain.

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
I'm with Red Archer on this one. The BRB's rule is very specific and neither rule from either codex trumps it. They both call for re-rolls, but neither goes so far as to require a re-roll on a die that's been already been re-rolled once.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
That's fine by me. It was just something I'd thought of and decided to throw it out to the lions to see what they would make of it!

E.

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
So the ones that missed have a chance to succeed and the ones that don’t miss have a chance to fail?

Ow, my head hurts!

·
UnderWater Ninja-Tiger ..
785 Posts
That's fine by me. It was just something I'd thought of and decided to throw it out to the lions to see what they would make of it!

E.
Apparently the lions made a tasty dinner out of it. ;)

It would seem that the never re-roll a re-roll rule is of a very high priority. Something very specific would have to be issued to allow it.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
Yes, you could hear the "omm nom nom nom nom" from across the pond!

Hopefully no-one took offence at being referred to as a lion....?

E.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts