Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
is Alpharius
477 Posts
Hey all was wondering how one would go about painting to give the apearance of a deep hole in the table? Any tips or advice?

I would probley use a crator template and paint it up black maybe add some 'ard coat to give a sence of depth. just my 2 cents =o]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey all was wondering how one would go about painting to give the apearance of a deep hole in the table? Any tips or advice?

To make a whole that you do is you stick a sheet of Polstyrene over your board, you then cut out the the shape you want the hole to be. Then do paint it I would Suggest you do the Lower parts of the Hole with a Darker shade of black and then you lighten the shades as you get closer to the top. :)

Hope my advice Helps, L-O-L.

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
Depending on how big (diameter) the hole is on the table and how much detail you are trying to achieve...

I would paint the rim of the hole a touch highlighted from the color of the table. The rest of the hole you can paint in 2d using 3d illusions to get a feeling of depth. basically decide how light will filter down the hole and gradually darken the edge of the hole until you get to pure black. The smaller the pure black is in the center of the hole the more of an illusion of depth it will create.

If it is a rather small hole on the table I wouldn't worry too much about details other than highlighting the rim and just painting the hole black....

Usually keeping things simple tend to work well enough... ;)

cheers,

-Mike

·
351 Posts
Be aware that each color has a visual weight to it. Make the center of the area lighter and darken from there. You want to draw attention to the flat-non textured center as a small piece and distort the detail of the textured areas by making them darker. So if you have the center as a large flat piece, draw a mishapen circle in it and make it slightly lighter than dark gray. Then around it you want to make the rest dark, and only highlight the very fringe of the model so the viewers attention is draw into it and not around it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.