Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Daemons and would like to know what you guys thought would be a good buy list. I'm wanting to make it an all round Daemon List.
I already have the book and a Daemonete unit so any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. What I mean is like an effective 500 point list and an effective 1000 point list.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wanting to use all the Gods in my Daemon army so what unit do you think work together in say a 1000 point daemon army?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I was in your boat a lil while ago.

I won a box of blood letters and a box of daemonettes along with the codex. From here I expanded to 1000 points. 1 thing I learned is that while plague bearers look really stupid they can prove invaluble and probably would have been my first purchase had I known that. I will say their in ability to kill much makes them not really a choice for me at 1000 points. I will also tell you that a squad of 10 horrors can prove to be invaluable as your opponenets will fear their massive shooting and they will stick around (sometimes) with 4++.

Ive also learned that daemonettes low T and low inv save means you need a big squad as generally. the whole squad will never make it to combat.

Blood letters tend to be my bread and butter. their decent T lends them that extra kick they need to get over half of them into combat.

As for heralds the slaanesh on chariot is a steal for how good he is. But dont think hes going to charge a squad of assault termies and come out of it unscathed. I have proxied a tzeentch chariot and herald once, they performance is decent as it adds a tiny bit more shooting to the army. the other 2 i havent used.

The masque is pretty good but usually gets rapid fired to death for me. havent tried the other named heralds.

outta the greater demons, ive only used the keeper of secrets who is da man. But as with any army hes too expensive in low points games.

i havent used any fast attack options, they dont appeal to me really. id use seekers if i didnt have to pay an arm and leg on ebay to get them.

soul grinders have been hit or miss for me, they either get blown up or blow stuff up. Dr. Paris will tell you that they are better in pairs and even better in 3s. Mainly because they present more targets to shoot that have an armor value.

As for elites,. fiends are really good cause they are so fast and can really hit the unit hard they charge. can take a beating if they get rapid fired tho. I like to use blood crushers because they attract alot of fireto them and takes it away from fiends...sometimes. they are so slow though and alot of times i dont get even get to charge with them, but they generally hold out long enough to get rescued by another unit.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A unit of plaguebearers is invaluable, over half your games are about getting objectives and these guys are one of the best units at doing it, 7 is a good number for this points level. Drop them on an objective and go to ground!

I'd also say you cant go wrong with a Tzeentch Herald in a chariot, he gives the army much needed speed and shooting, so he can hit rear armours of battle tanks which can really ruin your day.

Fiends are also amazing, fast and can take on anything.

I think these are 3 units any daemon army wants to have, but other than that its really up to you! One of the best things about our codex is nearly every unit is pretty viable and can perform well (except for heralds of nurgle and beasts of nurgle, just dont)

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
The core of your army is going to revolve not around your troops, but your heavy, elite, and HQ choices. From experience, these are the core units:

Fiends of Slaanesh
Bloodcrushers of Khorne
Daemon Princes (all varieties)
Soul Grinders
Greater Daemons (all varieties, although Great Unclean Ones are a little lacking)

I'm not saying that these are the only valuable units, as just about everything is useful in the right situation (except perhaps Beasts of Nurgle and Heralds of Khorne), but these are the units that your games will most likely be lost or won by. I'd start with at least 3-5 of these units, and work from there.

·
725 Posts
Ill try to turn you instead of what units you should stay away from... especially if your a begining chaos player.

Furies... Dogs are way better.
Screamers... Difficult to use effectivly as a beginer
Beasts of Nurgle... Slow, Crappy WS, I , save and Random attacks. and 5 points more expensive than fiends.. Need I say more... well ok.. use them only if you take this next guy...
Epidemius.. This is a highly specialized HQ only usefull in a all nugle list..

Thats about it. Take any of the other units and youve got youself an effective, fun list.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A unit of plaguebearers is invaluable, over half your games are about getting objectives and these guys are one of the best units at doing it, 7 is a good number for this points level. Drop them on an objective and go to ground!

Sorry Primarch16, but daemons are fearless so cannot go to ground

However, I'd still recommend having plaguebearers with icon in each wave to reduce deep strike risk

·
This is for the haters...
1,308 Posts
Sorry Primarch16, but daemons are fearless so cannot go to ground

However, I'd still recommend having plaguebearers with icon in each wave to reduce deep strike risk
That is worng. Fearless means that you pass pinning testing, not that you can't get pinned

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
You can't go wrong with Fiends, Tzeentch/Slaanesh Heralds on chariots, Flesh Hounds, and Plaguebearers.

You want a good core of survivable troops to hold objectives, the capacity to take out enemy armor, mobility to minimize the effects of poor scatter, catch up to mobile enemies, and give you more potential drop zones, and, of course, killing power.

A brief summary of everything:
Daemons - Inherently random army, so always build in redundancies if the dice fail you. Have multiple units, all preferably, capable of performing multiple roles so you don't get screwed if 1 unit messes up. You need to get into combat ASAP, including dragging enemies out of their metal boxes. Icons aren't necessary since only your first wave needs them and can't use them.
Bloodthirster - Dead killy, very mobile, pretty tough. A good pick, but he makes for an obvious target and is pretty pricey. Works best in pairs and with other stompy things.
Lord of Change - Very pricey, too much of a jack of all trades and not particularly good at any one. Tzerald chariots are cheaper, put out twice the firepower, and present more targets.
Keeper of Secrets - Not as fast or tough as a BT, but still very killy with a bunch of nifty abilities. Surpsingly fragile, so take multiples.
Great Unclean One - Crazy tough, cheap, fairly killy, but debilitatingly slow.
Ku'Gath - GUO for twice the cost and nothing particular useful besides a pie plate (doesn't hurt armor, pass).
Skarbrand - Dead killy, but pricey and not as fast. His ability helps your opponent too, so it works best with units that have a high I so you can kill them before they swing back.
Herald of Khorne - Punchy, but slow and too expensive. Crushers do it better.
Herald of Tzeentch[\b] - Cheap firepower, the main focus is getting Bolt of Tzeentch for dirt cheap. Add a chariot for boosted survivability and mobility, and for 100 points you have one of the best utility units in the book.
Herald of Slaanesh - Fast, high I, grenades, and lots of rending attacks. Problem is her relatively slowishness, low strength, and lack of any durability. Enter the chariot. Faster, tougher, and stronger (unholy might is handy too). Awesome discount HQ.
Herald of Nurgle - Slow, inept in combat/shooting, totally worthless.
Skulltaker - Like a Khorne Herald, only he gets something to make him worth it. Very killy, but still slow and expensive, so don't expect much.
Masque - Pavane is handy, 3 are great. Pity it's on such a fragile model that can't hide in other units. A 1 turn trick, because with T3 and so few wounds it's not lasting longer.
Blue Scribes - Not as tough as a Tzeentch chariot, but still cheap, can hide in units, and has a wider variety of powers. A little random, but worth it.
Epidemius - Cool in theory, but since all Nurgle units with the exception of Princes suck at killing things, he forces you to go Mono-Nurgle which has a very difficult time dealing with armor. One dimensional armies are bad.
Bloodletters - Extremely killy, but slow, fragile and expensive. Not good for your primary attack force since anything can outrun them and gun them down, but they make for an excellent mop up unit once the enemy is engaged or slowed down.
Horrors - Horror-ble. Too fragile and expensive, they don't provide anything you can't get elsewhere for better. BS3 hobbles them, T3 means anything can cut right through them, invulnerable or no, and Warpfire doesn't do anything to armor (nor does a BS3 bolt, which wastes the super bolters).
Daemonettes - Speedy, for troops, but fragile and not very killy. Good for going after baddies in cover, but once there they don't do all that much.
Plaguebearers - Cheap, crazy tough scoring units. They don't do anything but huddle around an objective, so don't bother tricking them out. Best Troops we have, since they are so cheap and focused in their role you can spend more on the good stuff.
Nurglings - A decent tie up unit thanks to Eternal Warrior, and thankfully cheap. They don't score, however, so look out.
Bloodcrushers - Big, tough, and killy. For 40 points they're a steal. The downside? They only go 6". They can't catch up to mobile enemies and have no ranged attacks, so while they are a rock they are a very slow rock that's easy to avoid.
Fiends - Golden boys of the Codex. Fast, cheap, killy, flexible. They are your workhorses. They can catch anything, kill anything (not Land Raiders). With Cavalry movement and Hit & Run they can cross the board in 1-2 turns, easily able to catch up to even fast skimmers. Worth their weight in gold.
Flamers - Another red herring unit, Flamers are cool on paper but fail in practice. Breath is nasty, but getting in range with such a fragile unit is a crapshoot. You'll get lucky with scatter from time to time, but it's far from reliable. Very versatile, mobile unit, but pricey and crazy fragile.
Beasts of Nurgle - Ugh. Slow, not killy, not scoring. Pass.
Flesh Hounds - A sleeper hit. Fast, cheap, and very nasty against mech and infantry through sheer weight of attacks. They have problems with heavily armored enemies and are very fragile though. Karanak is great.
Seekers - Like Flesh Hounds, but easier to kill, weaker, and overly reliant on rending. Grenades are nice, but give ==Me== T4 and S5 any day.
Screamers - Daemons suck at killing armor, right? Flying melta bombs must be awesome. Nope. Screamers are too pricey, too fragile, and only get 1 attack with their melta bombs (not handy if a vehicle moves 12", pray for 6's).
Furies - Cheap, mobile fodder, but very average in combat and fragile. Good support if you have lots of flyers, but most times Flesh Hounds are better.
Soul Grinder - Very killy, relatively tough, mobile and good potential shooting. Problem is, as the only armored target this sucker is a magnet for meltas (AV13 matters not then) and can't do everything at once. Good for a cheap, mobile beater, but quickly becomes useless once people bring melta.
Daemon Prince - Very versatile and potentially very expensive. Keep costs down by focusing your DP to a particular task. Like any MCs, the more you have the more your opponent has to deal with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts