Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For my part, I've always loved Reapers. I haven't fielded them in a year though, because my SM opponents complained so much. Since that time though, we've had the new IG, Space puppies, and now Nids coming out. As the march of new codices kicks more armies up to the 5th ed power level, I'm starting to consider finding a place for them again. I've always felt that when properly supported, Dark Reapers are a silver bullet against MEQ armies, and out of the newest batch of codices I think there's some new prime targets for them to be pointed at. Particularly, Thunderwolves and the new TMCs.

In the past I would have never considered Reapers against Nids; the MCs were generally too tough or had a 2+ save (or both), and against the swarmy stuff they were serious overkill. But with the ability to take so many T6 multi-wound models in the new dex, combined with their maximum 3+ save, there's both a need and an opportunity for Dark Reapers now. I've written up a list right now that uses a combination I'd never considered in the past for the reaper Exarch-- EML and fast shot. Two BS5 missile shots against an MC is invaluable, and two plasma templates against swarms will be really handy. With just Guide, a full squad with this setup should have no problem dropping a carnifex a round, and will seriously put a dent in a Trygon or Tervigon.

If you guys have had anything like my experience with them, Thunderwolves are a serious pain in the ass. In the great 5th ed trend of Nob Bikerz and TH/SS termies, they're a rockhard unit that takes considerably more than it's points worth of firepower to take down. In the past I've used a combination of Spiders and Dragons to take them down. It's effective but if you don't get all them in one round, even one or two remaining models will charge and stand a good chance of wiping out a squad of aspect warriors.

Reapers with their range can help put some hurt on them at a safe distance, and hopefully with a round or two of shooting you can do some serious damage. The Reapers low rate of fire combined with TWC being multi-wound means unfortunately they aren't a silver bullet. At worst, the reaper fire is a good way to soften them up for another squad (like Spiders or Dragons) to deliver the killing blow. If the TWC are in cover or are otherwise not a viable target, you're still facing an MEQ army-- you can reach out and touch some Longfangs ;)

I'm not suggesting Reapers will work for everybody's army-- they're not mobile at all which certainly doesn't fit with everbody's playstyle. They also require a bit of babysitting from a Farseer to be truly effective-- but that's pretty common with a lot of Eldar units. But I've always found them to get their points back when supported properly and be quite the scourge of an MEQ army. From the looks of it, I'll also be excited to see their effectiveness against the new Nids.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Dark Reapers are the reason I originally wanted to start out with Eldar. Long range, heavy firepower units that can smash through pretty much any infantry your opponent brings.

Exarchs get two shots with an EML, not three (you wish :silly:) but still two BS5 shots with a missile are rather devastating. And as stated, will put MCs down like nobody's business.

The issue I see is people worrying about their effectiveness against mech. Use them as a one-two punch. Zap the transport with a lance/EML then blitz the disembarked troops with reapers. Against units that aren't mechanized but still try and cross the field on foot, they are even more nasty. The time I played eldar v.s. CSM, I popped a rhino, and evaporated 2/3s of the squad inside, from across the board, turn 1. I honestly don't see why this shouldn't be a more common occurrence

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exarchs get two shots with an EML, not three (you wish :silly:) but still two BS5 shots with a missile are rather devastating. And as stated, will put MCs down like nobody's business.
D'oh! Yes, I think my brain just jumped there because all the other options are Heavy 2, thanks for the catch.

The issue I see is people worrying about their effectiveness against mech. Use them as a one-two punch. Zap the transport with a lance/EML then blitz the disembarked troops with reapers. Against units that aren't mechanized but still try and cross the field on foot, they are even more nasty. The time I played eldar v.s. CSM, I popped a rhino, and evaporated 2/3s of the squad inside, from across the board, turn 1. I honestly don't see why this shouldn't be a more common occurrence
Agreed, at somepoint during the game units are going to disembark their transport. Either it'll get blown up, or they'll have to get out in order to actually do things (like shoot and assault). The Reapers may have to wait a round or two for an opportunity, but often a single shooting phase is all it takes for them to devastate an enemy unit.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Something to keep in mind though. Reapers are a shooting unit, and only a shooting unit, getting them caught in CC is a massive waste of their potential, so watch out for high speed/ds assault elements.

On the other hand, if they're in cover, they are rather durable, that 3+ save really gives them an edge when the flamers come out. A nice high perch in some area terrain/cover to give them a nice vantage point makes them highly effective. Consequently instead of fast shot on the exarch, crack shot allows him to punch through cover saves with a reaper launcher. This sort of attention really puts the heat on enemy sniper/heavy weapon units, as even that tree they're hiding behind won't protect them from S5 ap3 death.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
There are a couple of Eldar units that just appeal to me for no other reason than I think they are cool, such as Wraithguard. Dark Reapers are one of these units...in fact DR, along with Fire Dragons, played a big part in the first ever White Dwarf battle report I saw Eldar in way back in 1991/92- and i've thought they were immense ever since!

And if Marine players whine about them then tell them to be quiet, its not as if Marines are short of powerful units is it? as Alzer just pointed out, they are a long range shooting unit, so there are simple ways for opponents to negate their potential.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something to keep in mind though. Reapers are a shooting unit, and only a shooting unit, getting them caught in CC is a massive waste of their potential, so watch out for high speed/ds assault elements.

On the other hand, if they're in cover, they are rather durable, that 3+ save really gives them an edge when the flamers come out. A nice high perch in some area terrain/cover to give them a nice vantage point makes them highly effective. Consequently instead of fast shot on the exarch, crack shot allows him to punch through cover saves with a reaper launcher. This sort of attention really puts the heat on enemy sniper/heavy weapon units, as even that tree they're hiding behind won't protect them from S5 ap3 death.
Back when I ran them regularly, I'd run Eldrad attached to full squad of reapers, the Exarch with a tempest launcher and crack shot, and an AT wraithlord nearby; these units comprised my static base. Eldrad would Guide and Fortune the Reapers and Guide the Wraithlord. Ideally the Wraithlord would pop a transport with his EML and Lance, and the Reapers could shred the creamy marine center. Crackshot and the tempest launcher allowed the exarch to kill entire units on his own, for sheer infantry killing power I still think it's our single most powerful combination in the codex. So the re-rollable 3+/4+ made them pretty resilient, and the Wraithlord and Eldrad also worked really well as CC deterents. It's a unit my friends constantly complained about being so deadly and being so tough to kill. You have to dedicate a lot of points to make this strategy work, but in a marine heavy metagame it's downright scary.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
I think that they are a perfectly wonderful unit - with lots of LOS, a cover save, and serious distance between them and their target; a nice, MEQ-TEQ sort of target.

For that situation they are perfect and wonderful and holy.

For everything else; they are not relentless, so they either move or shoot. They are overkill on hordes and lacking against big units ('fexes, tanks, any Monstrous Creature really...). They fulfill their niche very well, but bad placement, blocked LOS, no middling-toughness, middling-save units in sight, or fast-moving tarpits can all render DR useless.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I play marines and my friends uses a fie man squad against me (sometimes he adds eldrad and put his eml warwalkers next to them). They are very scary.
A tempest launcher is 2 BS5 blasts that kill my marines on 4s, and with crack shot re-roll wounds and ignore cover (he never takes fast shot on tempest because it is less efficient.
Alternatively he gives exarch missile launcher and fast shot and pops all my tanks and then the infantry.
The 3+ save is really difficult to kill, especially when their in cover.
And when my guys arrive in drop pods, to assualt dr next turn, well, I don't want to talk about that.
Overall, they are a necessity for a eldar shooting army and a great asset to any other tactic (probably the least effective when coupled with mech). A seriously underestimated unit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
if i wasn't playing the theme of army i was, i would make room for reapers for their cool factor.

but like any eldar unit, they need to work with the rest of the army, which is why they do not appear in competitive army lists as the tourny way to go at the moment is mech, which means reapers don't fit in with the mobility.

i think a squad of reapers fits in well with a hybrid or ground pound army, maybe with warp spiders, scorpions and guardians.

·
Registered
156 Posts
See, While as everyone has said they are an incredible long range unit. At XX points a model plus exarch and abilities, it seems to be a bit much. They do their job very well but christ is it expensive. Still I would take them any day but to the games workshop spies reading LESS COST PLEASE, OR LET THE EXARCH ABILITIES EFFECT THE SQAUD.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Mike, don't post individual costs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have recently played a couple of games using a squad of Dark Reapers (or two). I must say that the results were fantastic.

In one game, my opponent was vanilla Marines (go figure). I took a squad of 4 Dark Reapers: 3 reapers, 1 exarch w/ EML and Fast Shot. The mission was annihilation.. and I did exactly that. Those reapers mowed down marine after marine - without a Farseer! More on the lucky side.. I know. But either way, those lil troopers racked up most of my kill points (from a ranged stand-point at least).

In the other game, I played against Blood Angels (full of Death Company). In this list, I decided to take TWO squads of Dark Reapers. I knew the guy who played the Blood Angels LOVED to utilize cover.. sooooo....

Squad 1:
4x Reapers
1x Exarch - EML w/ CRACK shot (no cover saves for you!)
.. the strategy with this squad was to follow his Death Company around and use the lil plasma template to toast him. Kept a Farseer close to these fellas for obvious reasons.

Squad 2:
3x Reapers
1x Exarch - EML w/ Fast shot
.. these guys opened up on the Death Company when he moved OUT of cover. These guys were also within earshot of the Farseer's command.

I primarily focused all of the Dark Reapers fire on the Death Company the whole game (stupid Feel no Pain) .. but came out with a victory (objectives mission) because he couldnt get close enough without getting mowed down.
That... and I slammed a crap ton of jetbikes down his throat from reserves on turn 4.

Anyhow.. hope this little report helped. I don't know that I would remove part of my current 'normal' list to field these guys all the time (read: tournaments).. but for 1-off games where I KNEW who my opponent would be? Sure! Especially against MEQs.

A buddy of mine picked up the new 'Nids dex.. he's been a long time tyranids player, and loves a nice cheesey Nid-zilla list.. so we'll see how the Reapers do there as well. More to come!

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
wrekka, the spirit of Khaine himself is with you! Congrats on your inspiring victory.

Edit: I'll consider using them since my opponents are SM, 'nids, and 'Suit heavy Tau.

Reactions: Kheldar

·
Registered
371 Posts
wrekka, the spirit of Khaine himself is with you! Congrats on your inspiring victory.

Edit: I'll consider using them since my opponents are SM, 'nids, and 'Suit heavy Tau.
Thank you, sir!

Let me know how the "vs. Tau" goes. I have played against Tau many-a-time.. but with my Orks. I have yet to face them with Eldar. Of all the times I've faced Nids (4 total now I think).. it has been a nice mix of results.

1 victory (multiple objectives mission)
1 loss (annihilation)
2 draw (single objective on both sides, mission)

I'm curious how the Reaper will do against them... mostly interested in the annihilation mission.

·
Registered
49 Posts
playing against orks has always been very interesting each time i played against them 2 annihilation 1 Apocalypse game and in the 2 regular games it was a lose then a win and funny enough the turning point has been if he killed off my dark reaper squad ( i lost the first game when he managed to get biker nobs to assult them). as for the Apocalypse game it was just fun i dont personally have any super heavies and he brought 3! (2 stompas and a very large transport vehicle) it was a 3500 point game and it was awesome i had the flank march asset and had everything in reserve (including dark reapers) turn 2 resulted in a stompa exploding(three cheers for fuegan, fire dragons, and wraith guard), 4 trucks being blown to bits, and half of a large nob biker squad was turned to paste(plus a large number of boyz but he had too many to count at this point. my dark reapers came on on my side of the field along with my lone fire prism while everything else went right on his side to get at all that juicy rear armor :) anyway after that he was to busy trying to stop my rear assault to pay any attention to the reapers and prism so while prism popped tanks the reapers mowed down the survivors, the game became an annihilation instead of objectives and the eldar came out on top with a surprising 12 to 5 kill point ratio it was the best day ever the end, but we both had a most excellent time playing against each other

anyway to get back on track so long as you can keep your reapers from being assaulted they do wonders against orks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.