Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Red Knights

Origins
The Red Knights were formed in the 26th founding and are a successor chapter of the Blood Ravens Chapter. Following its forming, the chapter was allocated to the Segmentum Tempestus to rid the Zoria sector of Eldar threat. On the way to its destination the chapter acquired weaponry and recruits from the worlds they passed to swell its ranks and armory.
Colors
The Chapter colors are Dark Red, Dark Green & Black trim.
The Dark Red represents the blood of the fallen as well as their connection to the Blood Ravens. The Dark Green symbolizes the belief that everyone devoted to the Emperor is reborn to serve the emperor again after death, and the Black is a symbol of hate towards the Biel-tan Eldar.
Homeworld
Well in the Segmentum Tempestus, the Red Knights came across the Zoria sector. For reasons unknown, the Chapter Master Ikas Thorn ordered investigations to be made to establish which of the sector worlds were suitable as home worlds.
It was found that two worlds, Azoor IV and Azhar, both having a development equal to the one of the 18th millennium were suitable. The Imperial Guard forwarded reports on Eldar activity throughout the sector and The Red Knights focused primarily on the planet Azoor IV, while scouts were sent to aid the Imperial Guard on the other planets.

Faysal, the Master of Sanctity was given the task of erecting a Fortress Monastery on the planet Azhar. The Eldar presence on Azoor IV turned out to be extensive. Leaving a small part of the chapter to attend to Azhar, the Chapter Master led the bulk of his forces to Azoor IV and fought a war against the Eldar. With the help of Imperial support, The Red Knights won a series of smaller victories and managed to cripple the Eldar’s hold on the planet. The war was not to be won, though, for believing it an easy victory, Ikas Thorn himself led the assault on the greatest Eldar bastion on the planet. Unfortunately, a Farseer known as Asameth had hid herself until now, emerging to challenge Ikas. A fierce duel took place, ending with Ikas’ defeat. The guard and the marines were barely able to recover his body under the rain of deadly fire from the Eldar, but braved it and succeeded. The few survivors retreated with Ikas’ body to the battle barge in orbit, The Red Tempest, and returned to Azhar to hold mourning rites.

Shortly thereafter a new Chapter Master, Anwar Aqil was installed. He made a deal with the natives, promising to give them protection and aid them with technology. In return, the population of the planet would provide the chapter with resources and recruits. This advanced the civilization at a fast pace, and at present the planet is as developed as any imperial world and able to provide the Red Knights with both equipment and recruits.

The land of Azhar consists of three large continents with a warm and dry climate. Most of the population, an estimated 10,000,000,000 have clustered along the continental borders to benefit from the water, thus leaving the desert inland largely inhabited. It is here that the Red Knights have set up their fortresses and visit the coast settlements on a regular basis to hold trials of recruitment and pick up provisions.
When word spreads that the chapter is going to hold trials, many of the nomadic tribes of the inland travel to the recruiting location to participate. It is often these that get recruited, since they have been hardened by the harsh conditions in the deserts and have to do with limited supplies of food and water. They also have a tradition of philosophy which has influenced the Red Knights and made the chapter value consideration.
Geneseed
The geneseed has inherited the same slight mutation in the Catalepsean Node as the Blood Ravens’, granting perfect recall but inability to experience REM sleep.
Culture & Beliefs
It is common belief that every man devoted to the Emperor is granted rebirth to serve Him again after death. The Red Knights also strive to cause as few civilian casualties as possible, since every working man and woman contributes to uphold His Imperium.
The Emperor is not viewed as a God, but rather the most accomplished human being that has ever existed. As such, they revere him and strive to come as close to perfection as Him.
The techmarines are seen as individuals of great importance, seeing as they tend to the machinery and the revered dreadnaughts. These are not merely the means for a chapter hero to serve the Emperor even in death, but are also one of the most powerful close combat weapons available.
Organization
The chapter organization is mostly in line with the Codex Astartes; however they have a stronger apothecarion since many of their recruits are very skilled in surgery.
When training, the overseer is always a veteran from the 1st company and in combat there is often at least one veteran accompanying each squad to give advice out of own experience.
The Red Knights make use of the Treaty of Mars and regularly send space marines with an affinity for machinery to Mars to be trained into techmarines.
Combat Doctrine
The Red Knights mostly adhere to the Codex Asartes in combat. A marine is free to approach a situation in a way he thinks correct, but regardless of a failure or a victory as a consequence, he must afterwards explain himself and be tried for heresy. Should he fail this, he is exiled from the chapter or executed depending on the severity of his actions. This calls for consideration whenever one wants to breach the Codex.
The Red Knights have an affinity for close combat, as well as a tendency to get completely carried away in the heat and thrill of melee battle. This causes marines in close combat to often fight on even when losing heavily.

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
Looking good there, chimechu. I like it, especially that you picked a Blood Ravens successor chapter - you don't see those very often! :)

And though I am very much a fan of staying down on the earth you could probably go for one more quirk in your background that makes the army even more interesting. So far it's a little too unremarkable for my taste - though I have the fullest respect for that, because you did not succumb to the urge of making one's chapter ultra-special or uber-victorious...

What HQ do you use in your games? If I interpret your combat doctrine correctly you will be using stubborn instead of combat tactics?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Red Archer! :)
I'll see what I can manage to fit in!
And as for the HQ and combat doctrine, I'm not sure, since I haven't started playing yet. :p
I'm not that into the rules yet, but is it really possible to play a chapter as stubborn, seeing as they don't have it as a racial rule?

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
is it really possible to play a chapter as stubborn, seeing as they don't have it as a racial rule?
Once you have Codex: Space Marines you will see that taking certain special characters (or their profiles, naming them after your chapter's own heroes) will grant your army the stubborn special rule - thus I asked which HQ you will be using mostly. The stubborn special rule, in this case, then replaces combat tactics, a special rule that enables Space Marines to voluntarily fail any morale checks they are called upon to make. Stubborn would be much better fitting for your army, I think, considering your fluff.

If you need any help to get started with playing, feel free to hit me up! Nice work on the fluff, it's great to have such a good concept before even having started to play!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts