Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way in which a unit can 'redirect' its charge against anything that is not directly in the path of its original charge? I can't seem to find any ruling regarding it in the BRB. I keep feeling that such a rule exists (or existed) somewhere.

Can anyone help me out? Page numbers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If I remember correctly the FAQ only covers scenarios where new targets are revealed due to the original target fleeing from the charge. All of the scenarios have the new target in the path of the original charge.

Perhaps a few simple examples would illustrate my question better:

BBBBB---------AAAAA
BBBBB---------AAAAA
BBBBB---------AAAAA
BBBBB---------AAAAA

--------CCCCC
--------CCCCC
--------CCCCC
--------CCCCC

* Ignore the hyphens, I just used them to get the diagram to display correctly

Unit C declares a charge against unit A. Unit A flees from the charge (towards the top right), and ends up out of the charge range of unit C. UNIT A's CHARGE PATH WILL THEREFORE NOT TAKE IT INTO CONTACT WITH UNIT B. May unit C redirect its charge against unit B?

BBBBB
BBBBB
BBBBB
BBBBB

A----A---A
--A--A-AA
---------A

CCCCC
CCCCC
CCCCC
CCCCC

* Ignore the hyphens, I just used them to get the diagram to display correctly

On a similar note: Unit C declares a charge against skirmishing unit A. Skirmishing unit A flees from the charge (towards the top right, due to the way in which skirmishers flee), and ends up out of the charge range of unit C. UNIT A's CHARGE PATH WILL THEREFORE NOT TAKE IT INTO CONTACT WITH UNIT B. May unit C redirect its charge against unit B?

Some of my opponents say that neither case is allowed, some that only the first case is allowed, some that only the second case is allowed, and some that both cases are allowed.

I obviously want to know which scenarios (if any) are allowable, but more importantly, where to find the rules that allow/disallow the scenarios.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You are not allowed to redirect in either case. Only if your move brings you into contact with the new unit, while trying to reach your original target, you may declare a new charge against them. The rule is Enemy in the way, page 23 in the rulebook.

Hope this helps.

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
In the 7th edition rules you have to chase directly after the unit that fled from you. If they fled overtop of another unit, you can charge that one, but the chargers can't change direction to hit something else not in their path.

I haven't been playing fantasy all too terribly long myself, but apparently this is something that has changed many times over the history of the game. Lots of people seem to have wildly different ideas about how it works, probably depending on when the last time they read the entire rulebook was =).

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
In the 7th edition rules you have to chase directly after the unit that fled from you. If they fled overtop of another unit, you can charge that one, but the chargers can't change direction to hit something else not in their path.

I haven't been playing fantasy all too terribly long myself, but apparently this is something that has changed many times over the history of the game. Lots of people seem to have wildly different ideas about how it works, probably depending on when the last time they read the entire rulebook was =).
So very true. I had to correct an older gamer the other day on how it works. I always try and read the whole book through as there are some big changes between edition 6 and 7.

·
527 Posts
Look at the illustration on the 3rd page of the online FAQ/Errata. If the unit flees and reveals a unit behind it (in the same direction) the original unit may declare a charge against that unit, if that unit flees as well and reveals yet another unit within range (even the original unit that fled), the charging unit may declare on that unit as well.

·
Ahhhhh....
1,233 Posts
Hm, it's a little confusing to me..

Let's say, a unit of Dark Elves Dark Riders flees a charge from a unit of Chaos Chosen Knights (14" charge), the distance between them before the charge move is 8" but Dark Riders roll a 10" flee move using 3D6... which would bring the Dark Riders directly through a unit of Dark Elves Corsairs -- let's say the Corsairs passes their panic test, and the Corsair unit is in direct persuit path of Chaos Chosens, the Chosens have JUST ENOUGH of 14" charge move to make into contact with the Corsairs, can the Chosens declare a new charge against the Corsairs? or is it a fail charge against the Dark Riders thus stopping infront of the Corsairs?

·
527 Posts
The FAQ/Errata clearly states that the knights get to declare against the corsairs, who get to declare their reaction as usual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts