Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, it certainly has been awhile since I've been on here. I kinda deviated away from 4ok for awhile, but with the return of a good friend and fellow player, I'm ready to get back in the fight. I've recently scrounged up my old models and gotten in a good game or too and am looking to get back into the hobby. My army still plays very effectively (Though I admit it took me a bit to get my tactics accommodated to the new rules). Anyway, the long and the short of it is I was looking to add ogryns to my army, for both astectic, fluff, and function purposes. And I was wondering if you guys were thinking that this was a smart decision first of all. And if so then what are some tactics you guys would suggest from experience. Thanks again, and good luck on the table top!:fingers-crossed:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! That report is definitely something I'll look into!

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
My Ogryns stay on the shelf except for Apocalypse. You could try running a "brute squad" in a Chimera, doing drive-bys on the enemy. Just keep a regimental standard around to keep them from being pinned when their ride dies... that or a Primaris/Lord Commissar.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I too was looking into buying Ogryns now that they have that new cool Ogryn model. They seem really fun to have in an imperial guard army, but I can't help but notice that they were bumped up from 25 pts to 40pts from the last codex.. at 25 pts it was hard to get them into a list for what they did (functionality wise of course, fluff it'd be easy) and with 60% more cost what is different?

The Good
Ripper Gun shots are Str 5 AP - Assault 3 over their old Str 4 AP 6 Assault 2
Toughness is now 5 instead of 4
+1 Attack each now
Stubborn

The Bad
+1 Str on the charge only, instead of 6 Str any time in close combat
-1 Initiative, from 3 to 2
-2 Leadership, 6/7 from 8/9
Bone ead's cant take special equipments

You get some new stuff, and lose some stuff. I always thought they needed a buff, but not at a huge cost increase. They cost as much as termies, and with allies in 6th might be worth looking at instead imo. I dunno that's just my thoughts, again I don't have them yet nor have I proxied them this edition since 5th codex.

Those new non metal Ogryns look badass though. :3

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
My Ogryns stay on the shelf except for Apocalypse. You could try running a "brute squad" in a Chimera, doing drive-bys on the enemy. Just keep a regimental standard around to keep them from being pinned when their ride dies... that or a Primaris/Lord Commissar.
I'm planning on a unit of Ogryn in a heavily modified Chimera (Think love child of a Chimera and a monster truck) with Yarrick or LC to keep them in line. It's more of a comedy unit than anything else, but the "WTF!?!" factor should be good.

5x Ogryn: Chimera
LC or Yarrick
Primaris or allied SM Librarian with Biomancy

Expensive but hilarious.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I too was looking into buying Ogryns now that they have that new cool Ogryn model. They seem really fun to have in an imperial guard army, but I can't help but notice that they were bumped up from 25 pts to 40pts from the last codex.. at 25 pts it was hard to get them into a list for what they did (functionality wise of course, fluff it'd be easy) and with 60% more cost what is different?

The Good
Ripper Gun shots are Str 5 AP - Assault 3 over their old Str 4 AP 6 Assault 2
Toughness is now 5 instead of 4
+1 Attack each now
Stubborn

The Bad
+1 Str on the charge only, instead of 6 Str any time in close combat
-1 Initiative, from 3 to 2
-2 Leadership, 6/7 from 8/9
Bone ead's cant take special equipments

You get some new stuff, and lose some stuff. I always thought they needed a buff, but not at a huge cost increase. They cost as much as termies, and with allies in 6th might be worth looking at instead imo. I dunno that's just my thoughts, again I don't have them yet nor have I proxied them this edition since 5th codex.

Those new non metal Ogryns look badass though. :3
Oh that they do!:3 And yea along with what IronWeevil was saying, it's something I want to run for fun simply because I wanna try something different to give my army character and not a cripilling the functionality. And I don't see these guys fielded ever so they quickly found a place in the list of things I wanna run! :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
There's a couple of spells in the biomancy list that work very well with them. They're not great but stubborn and with a LD 9 from the psyker they can be tough to shift.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm trying them in a game tomorrow with a primaris psyker so I'll let you know how it goes!:) thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
807 Posts
allied SM Librarian with Biomancy
Yo! Just popping my head in to see what you guard guys were up to and I noticed this. The unit looks amazing, but a primaris would work better since allies can't enter transports. Best of luck with it! ^_^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts