·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im to lazy to do this myself so how did religon affect the storyline of 40k

·
Registered
25 Posts
I dunno, maybe the Chaos Gods was inspired by other dark gods like Chtulhu (spelling?), Baal and those stuff...
And I bet that the Emperor fight for som kinda' light god.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The way I se it the whole 40k game is based around a solid foundation of religion.
Most armies bear solid reseblance to an existing religion... some of the resemblances are so direct that I would personally point out that maybe the origial designers of 40k were depely religious or well versed in religious history.
Look at it this way I got some examples...
The Imperium can be compared to christianity.
The Imperial guard is the solid Catholic force obeying the one emperor/god.
The Deamon hunters can be compared to the religious orders, like say the spanish inqusition.
The Space Marines bear resemblance to the Protestant Church.
They worship the sons of the emperor.... the primaches, which can resemble Jesus.
The different chapters each resembling a different sub group... like say baptists, mormons, evangelists and so on.
The other more "evil races also have some sort of religious connection.
The best example I have to that is the danger from the east, the Tau.
They believe in the greater good which I compare to Buddism. Coming from the east and "Infecting" the noble imperium. (No offence to any buddists out there with the infecting thing, ok?)
Other armies I can't put my finger on and point out what religion they are, but they are a resemblance to some religion out there.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Chaos is an official religion. Not sure about the others though, I suppose the imperial cult is something like catholicism (or something) a few centuries back (when they hunted down anyone who was slightly different).

·
Registered
593 Posts
:blink: Chaos is an official religion? Official as in legitimatly believed, or not really believed (like Jedi). Is it similar to Warhammer Chaos, or different completely?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah there is a Chaos religion, from what I've read about it (but im not 100% certain how true it is) people who are members call themselves Disordian Solipsist's.

Solipsist: One who believes that the universe around him/her is their own creation and that it can be easily altered.

Discordian: One who is chaotic in nature, and causes mishief.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
judging by the the language in the eldar codex( not necisarily religon but) they seem to have similarites to arabic cultures.

·
Registered
245 Posts
in the time of crusades, there were many orders (sort of chapters) in the christian world. For example the order of malte (the island was their base)... this might have influenced on 40K... but there are so many possible links, the banners and standards, also chapter badges can relate to medieval religious art...
you also have the obvious link: the so called great crusade in 40K with the black TEMPLARS (temple knights...)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Originally posted by Dragonslayero@Sep 18 2003, 12:51

The other more "evil races also have some sort of religious connection.
The best example I have to that is the danger from the east, the Tau.
They believe in the greater good which I compare to Buddism.
alot of ppl i ahve talked to think that tau rep. that asian/anime side of 40 so "danger from the east" fits there pretty good.

cept maybe the danger part cuz tau suck! :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would say that the Emperor is God, the primarchs are the archangels (who saw that coming?) and the space marines are the lesser angels. The imperial guard are regular humans, and the chaos Gods are probably the false Gods the israelites worshipped.

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
You are all a bunch of HERETICS!!!!! <:) <:) <:)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think that the 40K races correlate to RL religion only if we bend them to do so. Otherwise, it is just the way they would develop. We can see that throughout our history.

An interesting thought, though, is this:
If the Imperium represents Chrisitanity will we see an Imperium akin to the Christianity of the modern day?

·
Registered
340 Posts
The Imperium is the Roman Empire. And because one main branch of Catholicism is Roman Catholic, there's loads of similarities. The crusades, the inquisition, etc.
I would say that Chaos would be Islam because they are subjected to, and launch, crusades.
Emperor would definately be Jesus (on account of the whole "Jesus was god on Earth" thing). The primarchs would be the apostles, and all the chapters would be like the different Catholic-based religions.
Eldar is the ancient city of Atlantis (more Roman folk-lore?)
Orks are the barbarians I'd say (possibly 'nids too).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.