Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening folks.

Well, me and my friend have decided to attempt something bigger than we ever have before. We'd like to make a R/C Land Raider.The idea of it just makes me go all fuzzy inside. And plus, I can't wait to tank shock with it!.

Basically, there are a few criteria I need it to fill.

- It must be fully remote controlled, running on proper tracks. I know than some r/c scale model tanks have this kind of system, and I could use one as the basis of my creation.
- It must aso be fully illuminated. This means that wherever there would be a light, there will be an LED.
- The guns must turn, and the doors must open, and all by remote control, of course.
- And, most of all, this must all fit inside a Land Raider.

So, if anyone has any ideas to help, they are very much appreciated. Anyone with some kind of knowledge about electronics would be appreciated. If it's a bit long-winded, you could always e-mail me.

As always, thanks in advance.

· Registered
279 Posts
The good news is that because all the moving parts are so light, servos needed will be small. And also expensive.

I think you might be going overboard with the LEDs, but it would certainly look cool.

I would just go for having the thing able to be RC, tracks and all. You would have to get bearings and such for the tread wheels, and find rubber bands/equivalent material that will fit and give good traction on the terrain.

Other than that, I have no idea. I would buy some really small RC things, dissect them, and maybe transplant it. That would be the simplest way for a good, solid, movable Land Raider.

· Slave to the flesh
4,330 Posts
It is a cool idea though I think you are going to come into some serious problems trying to get all the parts into the land raider, its just too small, you need to try something like a baneblade.

The tracks are going to be the hardest part, especially when combined with a motor and power source. You could try dissecting a cheap little R/C car for the motor and battery.

For the lights you may want to aim for bulbs the size of and smaller than christmas tree lights.

· Registered
59 Posts
years ago i bought a RC pzkw IV model, and it was very cool, but the only weapon that could move was the main cannon. maybe a predator conversion would be more easy, as you can buy one of those tanks, and scavenge all the electronics.

the other problem you may face is the distribution of the electronic stuff inside the Land Raider, as is not designed to have any... and of course, the matter of the tracks. you will have to carve with care all the LR wheels and put a different track system. usually RC tank tracks are made of rubber, moved by a pulley system powered by an electric motor.

one friend of mine tried to develop an electric LR robot model for robot sumo fightin' (some kind of robotics classroom homework), but he could only hardly take all the electronic stuff inside...

· Registered
29 Posts
This is quite an abitious project you've got planned. You might want to look into a more simple version for your first go. If you have the land Raidier doo all the things you want, it's going to be an expensive project.

For example, if you want each of those things listed above to be able to operate idependantly you'll need a lot of channels on you controler. 2 for the tracks, 1 for each weapon, 1 for each door. So, that's 8, not including the possibility of 1 more for the lights. So you're looking at $300 or more just for the radio. Additionally you'd need some more servos. Butget $500+ just for radio gear.

Then you'll need two motors two speed controler and a battery. Figure about $200 for that gear.

LEDs probably about 30.

Who know how much for tracks and such...

Besides the cost, space is going to be an issue for all those servos. Even the smallest (and thus costly) ones will be har to cram in the body. YOu could save some space by having a sero pull double duty - IE 1 servo runs both Las cannons, and maybe the heavy bolter. I servo runs both side doors...

But, I'd suggest you first try to get one that will just move about on tracks first before you worry about the guns n such.

· Registered
658 Posts
yuushin is quite right, you will need one fancy controller to do all of that stuff. You may want to just have the LR move... and at most make the assault door open. This will knock down your electronics price to around 200$ off the top of my head... but probably more like 300$.

Not sure where you can find tracks, but I think you could find some sort of belt that would fit your demensions.

If you get this thing to work, I want a vid haha. I would want to make a bigger version if I was making this... maybe 10x bigger than the model... now that would be 1 fun R/C :D

-Centum

1,485 Posts
The only thing I have to say is that unless you possess the knowledge to perform the task of setting up remotes to all of those moving parts and connecting them all to the same power source and programing your remote and reconstructing it so that you dont need six hands to use it not to mention that the landraider is pretty small compared to most remote controled cars you should get some books and start reading about the project. You may want to look into those little cars (about the size of matchbox) they dont have to much power but would be easy to fit in the landraider it think they are called zip zaps

and maybe into the LEGO ROBOTICS line I know its legos and you haven't played with them since you were 7 but its robotics.

· The Orange Grey Knight
4,777 Posts
Even the LEGO Stuff (I'm in a Robotics class in which we use Lego) quite likely wouldn't fit inside the land raider. Getting the Tanks, Front Ramp (Dosen't it have 2 parts?) and the lights will be pushing it as far as space. I think you could do more if you skipped on the tracks and cut out wheel slots instead. Also anougher thing is the Structure of the LAnd Raider, the more room you nedd the less support and more wieght that will be going in. I think you'll find that you may be biting off more than you can chew, especially if you don't have any prior experiance.

I say try making A Rhino move, then try throwing in a Razorback turret, using the ZipZaps as movement and maybe a servo for the turret?

Mike

· Registered
108 Posts
if you can afford this, i would go the whole way and make it a shadowsword. bigger, cooler and the gun would be easier.

· Registered
586 Posts
$500 for radio gear is a little excessive. This might be in the ballpark if you're going for a radio remote control, but that's more than this project really requires. It isn't like you're going to be running the thing around outside, from hundreds of feet away, are you? Look into IR remotes. You can get one with a relay board fairly cheap and it would be fine for tabletop use.

Here's an example for under $50 bucks: http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.36/it.A/id.376/.f

The problem is that you're pretty much locked into getting an existing R/C tank model for a lot of components, seeing as how a lot of parts can't really be fabricated at home (like a set of rubber treads, if you really want actual drive treads instead of wheels sticking through the model's base). The more stuff you can take directly from the existing kit, the better off you'll be.

· Registered
173 Posts
An idea to save on space, if your still wanting to use lights: just put one Light bulb (christmas tree, led or other wise) in the middle of the chassie and have different plastic coveres for the different locations if you want them to be different.

· Registered
1,675 Posts
You could only go for movement, which would still an accomplishment

You would only need two servo motors. Use rubber band tracks, then glue LR track links separatly. You'll need a battery. A two channel will do. If you look at how a real tank is made, you could do the same thing just swap out a 10000 transmission for a second motor.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right, well...

I've decided, after talking to my Uncle (who makes R/C everythings!), that my idea could be just as good, using simpler techniques. He recommended buying a cheap R/C car. Then, take out the electrics, and place them in the land raider.

The wheels will go, one at each end of each track, so all four are used. They will drive the land raider.. That'll save space inside and prevent needing loads of controls. It'll also be easier.

I do have a pic that I made in paint, but I have no idea how to post images here, so I'll try to find out and edit this post to show you all my idea.

· Registered
314 Posts
I would just do the lights if I were you.

I don't think I would play against a remote control landraider. I can just see the thing pissing me off when a kid runs over my models.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.