Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently read a DH clarification and it said that the 2004 printing of the codex gave our Rhinos the Repair rule, and checked a few website saying they had it, but can find no proof through my book or the FAQ.

I thought I had the latest printing. What am I missing?!

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is something I've been looking for too. It's in Imperial Armour 2 rules for both the inquisition rhino and the sisters of battle rhino, but I don't know if that helps. You can argue that as rhinos are built from STC's they're all the same, but there's also that rule of thumb that says when a conflict exists between a rule and a codex, obey the codex.

In friendly games, discus it with your opponent. In tournament play, ask an official. If we ever do get a new dex, hopefully it will resolve little quirks like this.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I dont know which print of the WH codex I have, but the entry for the Rhino Repair rule is on pg 33.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know which print of the WH codex I have, but the entry for the Rhino Repair rule is on pg 33.
Very interesting

I have a C 2003 copy (check the back cover) and it's not on my Rhino list. Do me a favor and check what it says about dedicated transports. The bit in the FAQ about the new dedicated Transports rules is under "Errata & Second Printing Clarifications"

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA...142_Witch_Hunters_FAQ_2004-08_5th_Edition.pdf

If your codex has the transport rules in FAQ then that's the second printing, which means GW screwed up by not adding it in the FAQ >.<

If this is the case, the legally we get Repair due to 2004 being the latest version.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well i checked mine, and it is copywrite 2003 also. I dont see anywhere an edition number.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i checked mine, and it is copywrite 2003 also. I dont see anywhere an edition number.
Yea, a local hobby store has a copy that's the new printing which is 2003, so I don't know what GW was thinking.

Anyway I can 100% confirm that in that printing Repair is there and that it makes no reference to Dedicated transports disallowing other units form using it (more of a reference for the FAQ).

So, this leads to the question: Do you get repair if it's not in your book, even though it's in the latest printing despite the fact that it's NOT in the FAQ? I would assume so, but how would you prove it to a naysayer without a new printing? You can't even buy it from GW anymore, and any copy you buy online is no guarantee that repair will be in there.

·
867 Posts
Did they ever resolve the Firing Point difference? The SM Rhino has two but the Sisters Rhino only has one. I think the contractor supplying the Ecclesiarchy is ripping the Emperor off. ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nope, they didn't fix that. I recently got a newer copy of the dex specifically so it would have the repair rule for the rhino and machine spirit for the landraider, but I just checked it and it still has the gaff about firing points. Jeeze, how do people get jobs as editors for GW? Second printing and they still couldn't fix it all.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, they didn't fix that. I recently got a newer copy of the dex specifically so it would have the repair rule for the rhino and machine spirit for the landraider, but I just checked it and it still has the gaff about firing points. Jeeze, how do people get jobs as editors for GW? Second printing and they still couldn't fix it all.
Check the dates, they were printed in the same year (2003 IIRC) which means the 2 fireing point rhino was unheard of. What concerns me is that they completely MISSED repair in the FAQ, yet included the dedicated transport and machine spirit rules. Also, we got jipped out of machine spirit. Take a close look at it =P

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is the only printed version of the machine spirit rule that I have access to right now- I'm not sure how it works with other armies, but I'm assuming our version is less effective?

·
3,395 Posts
This is the only printed version of the machine spirit rule that I have access to right now- I'm not sure how it works with other armies, but I'm assuming our version is less effective?
Normal machine spirit - fire a weapon each turn at BS4 even if shaken / stunned / moving.

WH machine spirit - may move forward in a straight line if crew stunned, may fire a weapon at BS2 if moving 6" or less.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I just checked my codex and i also have the repair rule on page 33 with a 2003 print, I wonder if the difference is in the ISBN. Mine is 1-84154-485-X, someone with out the repair rule check to see if this matches.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The guys at my local shop have no problem allowing repair, dual firing points and machine spirit for WH, seeing as our rhinos are 15 points more.
One thing to consider though, we actually GET repair and PotMS for Inq LRs(though the rules are different, read them), but i do no believe we would get dual firing points. If they let you have 2, awesome and you have a cool group of people to play with, if not just remember that while our rhinos cost 15 points more, we get EA for a measly 5 points. Our rhinos cost 7 points more then a SM rhino with the same fixin's =P

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did GW just make a mistake? I think I will send them an e-mail asking about it.

I'll post the response.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm sure they're already aware; the original printing of the Codex predates the repair and machine spirit rules, which is why there's a problem in the first place. Truth be told, they should acknowledge the fact that a rhino is a rhino; that way every time a new space marine codex is released (every 3 months), the RAW rules lawyers will have to accept the fact that changes to a space marine rhino's rules affect sister rhinos as well. It's another one of those things that we all know in our hearts to be intended by the designers, but that RAW people just can't bring themselves to accept.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree, however, the problem is, if our Rhinos were the same as SM rhinos, then we would only be paying 35 points for it, but we would still have our upgrades IE 40 points for a rhino with EA/Smoke/Searchlights (why, I don't know). Before anyone says "no you would have the SM upgrades" I would like to point out that there would be to much cross reference to a book that isn't ours to begin with let alone figuring out which upgrades we keep from our codex and which we would get from the SMs. In short, that's what the FAQ was supposed to cover, and for the most part did, only they neglected to mention the repair rule, which is what started this =P

In short: Until we get a new codex, We have what's in the current codex, and what's in the FAQ, only right now there is a discrepancy between the two in that the second printing includes repair, but it is not mentioned in the FAQ. http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA...142_Witch_Hunters_FAQ_2004-08_5th_Edition.pdf

I'm just waiting for a response. Knowing how most of these things works however, I'll probably have it sometime in April 2014 xD

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.