Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried magic heavy, cavalry heavy and Monster Heavy lists. The bane of my existence as Warriors of chaos would have to be the repeater bolt throwers of the High and Dark Elves...

I am looking for a discussion on how to get past these horrid things. My daemon Prince was taken down after turn one by two on a hill last night. I have tried the BSB on disk, the light cav. Cruise missles, titilating delusions, presenting other targets, and using screens (which are useless when hills are about). Most of what I try gets popped before I can get half way across the board. I can't imagine facing four of them at 2250 points. All my efforts to try and take out a miniscule 400 points worth of repeaters and then I still have to deal with lore of metal!!!! I am not loving the Warriors of Chaos at the moment.

Interested to hear your stories.

Kiz

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
You need to use terrain very tacticly against these, they are, indeed, a huge threat, especially when theres 3-4 of them. The only real advice other than run fast cav at them, is trees, use trees as much as possible until they are dead. Hide behind them with your DP in a place you can get magic off on other important threats, and run your fast cav at them. hopefully then he'll be too busy shooting the cav/hounds to be shooting your important things.

·
Registered
317 Posts
1) Hide. Either behind a tree, terrain, a big monster, or something else that can distract their attention, like a pack of hungry hounds within charging range.

2) Titillating Delusions

3) Can RBT crews panic and run? I forgot the rules. Terror/Panic-bombs?

Above all, plan your movements right. Just because some of your units can march/charge 14+" doesn't mean you can just charge right into their face. That'd be suicidal. Also, can RBTs shoot units in combat? I don't remember it could.

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
If you let your opponent set up terrain, as in you both take turns dropping terrain, then the game becomes stale and you will always face artillery on hills and you already start the game at a disadvantage. I'd suggest finding a good random terrain generator and try using it. About 3-4 months ago my group switched over and its so much better. Dwarfs don't get a hill in a corner, WElfs don't get 6 woods every game, you get the idea. You have to change your deployment based on the terrain, not base your terrain on how you want to deploy.

If that fails, then every time your opponent puts a hill down, just place woods in front of them to block most of the hills usefulness.

All else fails, your Golden Eye Tzeentch Exalted shouldn't have problems with these at all. Give him that and an enchanted shield and he should be shrugging off bolt shots all the time.

·
Schemer
481 Posts
You could try to hide a Hero with a steed of Slaanesh within a big infantry unit. In turn 2 or 3, once you are in range of his artillery you can charge alone with him. Chances are he will pulverize the warmachine crew, overrun behind and will most likely die if your opponent plays well ;) If you'r lucky however you can manage to cripple more the one warmachine.

Three things can happens after that initial charge: 1) he finds himself in the middle of nowhere and will get shot (maybe he will survive), 2) you manage to pull another charge with the overrun (best option) or 3) he overrun out of the table. If 3) happens or you survive option 1) you will need to spend a whole turn maneuvering to get another charge (try to line up units). In that turn you will be able use the stream of corruption gift to target multiple warmachine crew.

My current hero setup his this:
Exalted Hero, Mark of Slaanesh, Steed of Slaanesh, Flail, Shield, Armour of Morrslieb, Necrotic Phylactery, Stream of Corruption.

He can also easily deal with chariot and assassin.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses guys. Some good ideas in here.

Pinkus, that is exactly the problem. When bringing our own terrain my one opponent always brings hills... one for either side of the table.Does a forest block line of site for units on a hill? If that is the case, I can always bring two forests to put right in front of each hill (unless I have to place terrain first), The problem lies where you can't place terrain in the two foot center of the table. If he places right on the line, I can't put a forest right in front of it. :(

I really like the idea of the random generator. Does anyone have any links to some nice balanced ones?

I will also try the hero setups mentioned. They sound effective, especially if I can shield them in a unit of marauders while I get into position.

·
Schemer
481 Posts
If your list is infantry heavy with characters hiding inside unit like me, I would not engage my opponent bolt thrower (with my suicidal hero) if there are less than 2 bolt throwers (only send the hounds and marauder horsemen). My knights with MoT and Blasted Banner can usually take that much heat (my block of warriors/marauder also). Imho an High Elf army with only 2 bolt throwers and 2 great eagles is a lot scarier to face than one with 4 bolt throwers.

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
One reason is they can march block you very easily, which means the HE mages and bolt throwers have more time to shoot you, or you enemy can setup his charges as you try to close the gap; gaining the advantage before the combats start. Also they can bait any frenzied units you might have, keeping them out of the battle for a while, if not the whole game.

·
Schemer
481 Posts
One reason is they can march block you very easily, which means the HE mages and bolt throwers have more time to shoot you, or you enemy can setup his charges as you try to close the gap; gaining the advantage before the combats start. Also they can bait any frenzied units you might have, keeping them out of the battle for a while, if not the whole game.
I could not have said it better.

EDIT
One of my opponent usual opponents brings 2 bolt throwers and 2 eagles along with a big unit of White Lion and Dragon Princes. He usually fields a prince with the White Lion (with that immune to fire item) and a BSB in the Dragon Prince with the magic sword that negates armour save and another item that makes them travel through wood easily. He usually sets up his main offense by traveling through wood and sends the eagles to make sure he doesn't get flanked. His list effectiveness is impressive and I am not even talking about his 2 lvl2 (with that banner that gives him power dice) and his archers along with the bolt throwers.

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
Haha, ya i play against a HE Star Dragon list more than anything else, so i've figured them out pretty well by now. :p

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
Dogs if you have extra ones, other than that, you don't. If you pay attention to them with anything they they are serving their purpose. Definitely don't charge them with anything unless you have to, as it will put a unit out of the game for a few turns.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Knights of Nurgle/Tzeetch with blasted standard. At long range you have a unit nearly immune to them. Send them right at the bolt throwers, the RBTs won't be able to stop them and the make tempting targets.

Could use a terror bombing daemon prince of tzeetch with a doom totem, or a chaos mantle daemon prince.

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
sending a unit of knights thats almost 300 points at a RBT isn't exactly their best use. I say tactical movements and fast cav are your best bet. Also, a daemon prince could work, but if they dont run (not that unlikely with Ld 8 base) get ready to get annhilated by close range bolt thrower fire.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sure sending a little under 300 pts at a hundered isn't a 100 pt RBT isn't a good call, but sending 300 pts of points denial at 200-300 pts of RBTs wihile denying pts to your opponbents is. Not to mention the many other uses the knights would have.

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
i wouldn't call it point denial, they can still be shot down. especially when you get close.

granted it is a good idea if they have multiple bolt throwers, but i'd prefer to use them for something other than that.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Its HE, the knights are basically points denial unless he is using the lore of metal or a stardragon. At short Range against nurgle knights with volley fire it is 4s TH, 4s TW, 3s AS, 5s Ward or 1/18th a wound. Short range big bolts are 4s, 2s, 5s or 5/18th a wound. I would welcome any RBT fire at them. Against HE, they are almost always points denial.

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
See when i play HE he takes a Star dragon and 2 lvl's with lore of metal, 2 rbts and 2 eagles, and a DP or Swordmaster Deathstar (using that term loosly). I have better things to throw knights at than Bolt throwers, when i have 2 fast cav and 2 units of dogs to do that, as well as flying sorcerors. Sure, if you are running big block of infantry as well as the knights, then that works, but i'm not; thus using them for more important things.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Then your HE opponent plays HE like I do. But the point was how to defeat a large number of bolt throwers, but with a star dragon, two mages there isn't much left for more than two bolt throwers and at that time you have bigger fish to fry.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts