Librarium Online Forums banner

Repent, the Typhoon is coming!

872 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  CaptShrike 
#1 ·
I am starting to sense a very serious bias towards the Land Speeder Typhoon! People seem to think that rending is king, and in *cough* SOME cases, I guess, it is rather nifty. (Kayvaan Shrike, anyone?)

Because of my unending hatred for all things cheese (it must be some foul creation of chaos) I want to point out a few alternatives, because you fine fine folk deserve more than the silly looking tommygun on the front of your flying shoes.

First off, for the basic points cost of the speeder, you have a fast skimming heavy bolter. Now, my mainstay army is the Imperial Guard; if I ever found a way of getting one heavy weapon on a 12" move/shoot vehicle was even feasible, I would pay at least what we SMurfs have to pay. From there we only have to follow the yellow brick road, oh yes, as the options these fine lil pups carry are quite varied.

First off, we can turn this deepstriking, up-to-24"-moving monster into a vehicle destroyer with the refitting of a multi-melta instead of a heavy bolter. The implications for this are obvious, and the great range on a multi-melta (remember, IG background) is a surefire distraction, especially if you intend to deepstrike a small-point-cost distraction. UNFORTUNATELY, you aren't able to combine the multi-melta and the ass.cannon (which both have the same ranges, oddly enough) but you ARE able to combine the multi-melta with a heavy flamer! What good would this weapon combination be, you might ask? Popping sardine cans, thats what for! Transport vehicles, if not destroyed from multi-melting madness, would have to evacuate all its passengers, and because you deep-striked within 12" range, your new targets are now ready to be flaaaaaamed.

For a few points cheaper, you can take the second, under-rated version of the tornado, fitted with multi-melta and heavy flamer, and be all the better at whatever it is that you do! Its not really that much more risky, as the speeders are gonna die no matter what range they get shot at, and personally if possible id rather have my enemy assault my vehicles (skimmers especially) then shoot them dead.

Next off, we have the Typhoon variant of land speeder: my favourite. While you are able to replace the bolter with a melta again here, there really is no purpose in doing so: your changing your loadouts effective range from 36"-48" to 24"-48". The range on the Typhoon is what makes it the clear choice: Harassment from afar, and for how few points your paying, a very potent anti-infantry vehicle. Grouped with the fact vehicles do not have to roll leadership to choose target, and it has a twin-linked blast template, the potential for doing harm from afar is nearly unmatched by anything else in its cost range. Keep an eye on your range, and you can even force casualties from the front (remember, cant remove normal shooting casualties from beyond the weapon range) potentially dropping off key special weapons before they become a threat.

In closing, for a fast attack that epitomises what fast and attack stand for, especially when paired together, its my belief that the tornado ass.cannon model can certainly get lucky and perform to what must be some of your guys' expectations: I've found out the hard way relying on 6's is a good way to get yourself deep-sixed. (never play an IG assault army vs the death guard) For a quick and resilient annoyance that will either earn its meager points cost in drawing fire (most of which goes to waste... aaah, skimmers) or by gradual death-dealing, The Typhoon (or even melta-flamer 'nado) is the obvious choice for the true followers of the Adeptus Astartes!

See less See more
#2 ·
Goblin Ninja said:
UNFORTUNATELY, you aren't able to combine the multi-melta and the ass.cannon (which both have the same ranges, oddly enough) but you ARE able to combine the multi-melta with a heavy flamer!
Well, Ravenwing can, but seeing as how it costs 95 pts per LST, it might not be a great idea.

What good would this weapon combination be, you might ask? Popping sardine cans, thats what for! Transport vehicles, if not destroyed from multi-melting madness, would have to evacuate all its passengers, and because you deep-striked within 12" range, your new targets are now ready to be flaaaaaamed.
Umm, you know you can't shoot at 2 different targets int he shooting phase, right?

Next off, we have the Typhoon variant of land speeder: my favourite. While you are able to replace the bolter with a melta again here, there really is no purpose in doing so: your changing your loadouts effective range from 36"-48" to 24"-48". The range on the Typhoon is what makes it the clear choice: Harassment from afar, and for how few points your paying, a very potent anti-infantry vehicle.
I really think that the Tornado, which can shoot a lot more than the typhoon, and also has an assault cannon for vehicles, is a much better choice against IG, even with the shorter range.

#4 ·
Goblin Ninja said:
First off, we can turn this deepstriking, up-to-24"-moving monster into a vehicle destroyer with the refitting of a multi-melta instead of a heavy bolter. The implications for this are obvious, and the great range on a multi-melta (remember, IG background) is a surefire distraction, especially if you intend to deepstrike a small-point-cost distraction. UNFORTUNATELY, you aren't able to combine the multi-melta and the ass.cannon (which both have the same ranges, oddly enough) but you ARE able to combine the multi-melta with a heavy flamer! What good would this weapon combination be, you might ask? Popping sardine cans, thats what for! Transport vehicles, if not destroyed from multi-melting madness, would have to evacuate all its passengers, and because you deep-striked within 12" range, your new targets are now ready to be flaaaaaamed.
You should never get that close to anything with an LST. That is on the big list of no-nos for good strategic use of LSTs.

#5 ·
When I was playing Marines I always enjoyed my LS Typhoon with multimelta. The twinlinked missiles were a dependable yet low-profile weapon and the multimelta was ideal for Daemon Princes , Land Raider Crusaders and the like...all for a low enough price as to be expendable.

I suspect most Smurf players want their landspeeders to be assault gunships, not troubleshooters. That's okay but then you have to bring 3 or 6 to be effective. IMHO overwhelming firepower is a Predator's job.

#7 ·
I would have to think that the Multi-Melta + Flaming of the troops idea is not exactly legal. As all weapons from a unit are considered to have fired at the same time, the flamer has techincally fired before the transport was ever destroyed and the troops automatically dismebarked.

#8 ·
Um, It really shouldn't work out. All the fire from a single unit should be resolved as if simultaneous. The flamer should go off at the same time as the Melta--and both should be fully resolved before anyone is forced to hop out of the tank.

It's a nice effort, Goblin, but the LST is getting the love it's getting because it deserves it. It really is better, in pretty much every concievable way, than any other landspeeder.

#10 ·
Flamer/melta combo is fun, but its really only good against IG.

A) IG lasguns cant hurt landspeeders

B) there troops are very numourus, and often tightly packed.

C) there troops are often next to there vehicels.

It is perfectly legal to manouver your landpeeder withen 8.5 inches of a tank, and shoot your flamer, if any troops are in the way, thats not your problem. Then you fire th melta gun.

On IG tanks, the Side armour CAN be hurt (generally) by the flamer, making this truely a legit target.

Perhaps if where talking about flaming a landeraider, of front armour on a russ, things MIGHT be a little different, as the weapon has no hope of hurting the target.

Your landspeeder may not fire at the troops inside a transport vehicel that it has killed, even if they have dismebarked

The Typhoon is worst speeder choice, its long range isnt useful, as the vehicel is fast, its better to put shorter more powerful weapons on it.

There are many weapons which out proform the roll of the tyhoon ML, such as normal MLs, or plasma cannons.

A tactical squad with plasma cannon, is just over the cost of the speeder, with far more firepower, and durability.

#11 ·
the Typhoon's long range mean for quite nothing since it does such rubbish damage. Granted the HB is quite effective, but the Typhoon missile launcher really isn't good.
1. In 4th Ed, small blast weps suck coz u hv to put the central hole over an enemy model, making it cover a lot less space.
2. the typhoon missile's stats are a lot worse than the AC's. Lower str and worse ap really hurts - u can't even kill TAU with it...
So id prefer to do some serious damage at short range than to do little to no damage at long range.

#12 ·
typhoon

hmm the typhoon is very VERY useful when part of a group or squad of LS's of 4+( or 3)
i go for 1 typhoon w hvy bolter, 1 tornado w hvy bolter and assault cannon and 1 tornado with 1 hvy flamer and melta= awesome support when part of this squad the typhoon easily wins its points back * 2 and can be the first LS to blow up when you get fired at!:w00t: :yes: :shifty: hehe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.