Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
(Un)Official LO Map Maker
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, had a 1.5k game yesterday. My list was basically a 1k mech with some foot allies (not a desired list obviously, but it was just for fun). Had 9 Repentia and a Mistress, they killed a trygon prime, and it got me thinking about them, how effective they are or aren't and how to use them. Just some thoughts, feel free to comment and criticise.

Priest
-Power Armour
-Power Weapon

9 Repentia
-Mistress

A total of 270 points. The power weapon is indeed negotiable, but as the squad is intended for heavily armed foes, it could be really useful.

They'll be moving fairly quickly, the odds of them being able to get holy rage sits at 5/9 or 55.56% while the mistress is still alive. 1/3 if she's not. And of course running when not assaulting. Potential 18" each turn. Though, likely averaging about 10. It's hard for the enemy to know what's happening.

So, what I target with my repentia are monstrous creatures, HQ's or tough-as-nails units like terminators and of course hard-to-kill vehicles. So, we can safely assume we're hitting on 4's with a re-roll (vehicles moving, WS from 4 to 8). That's 75% hits with the priest alive.
Charging: 4 attacks from the mistress, 3 from the priest and 18 from the girls.
Hitting: 3, 2.25, 13.5
Wounding (say, T5 for creatures and HQ's, terminators would obviously be easier): 0.5, 0.375, 9. All no armour saves. 9.875 wounds on average when charging. Obviously, striking with repentia last will reduce that number, but yeah, no one's perfect.
Receiving is... 4.625 wound, assuming no kills (which is a lie).

Okay, clearly we need to charge to even stand a chance against the enemy. But I find that this concern is limited as I'm usually charging, Holy Rage is unpredictable, and can throw the enemy off. Also, I'm usually charging single models (Tyranid beasts, DP's, Dreadnaughts, etc) and they never have enough attacks to wipe me out. Hell, that 3+ to hit does drop a third of their attacks off. So, after the initial carnage of my girls being ripped limb from limb, they usually hit back and hard. 2's to wound on terminators with only their 5+ invulnerable does do some damage, even with more casualties coming our way.

As far as unit size goes, always invest in a squad with at least 9 repentia, go larger in larger games and depending on what you'll be up against. And that priest is essential for turning a terrible roll, into an average one. And an average one, into a great one, never leave without him. Having a full squad of 19 chainsaw wielding girls charging into a unit of carnifexs, they will do some massive damage, and it might just be that extra dead body that stops them charging into our rhinos or sisters.

Just like my canoness, I use them as suicide units, one-shot destroyers. They jump in, get hit hard and then hit right back again. They will die after one or two turns of combat (not being fearless means losing isn't an issue, and even then we don't run. Taking a morale check and assaulting in the enemies turn. Yes please. Getting the charge, is probably better than having those extra bodies overall as it limits the number of attacks coming our way), but that's okay. Aside from exorcists, our army doesn't really hit all that hard, and having a unit that can pull down a big creature is always useful.

Keep to terrain (T3, 4+ is bait to heavy bolters, tau fire warriors, etc. Consider a rhino shield wall, they should be able to keep up and then assault whoever you didn't kill with your bolters), use Holy Rage to keep the enemy guessing on their movement (either just 6" and try to assault, or a potential 12" and then slamming into the enemy like a... well, like an eviscerator). Don't charge large squads or you will be pulled apart before you can attack back. Only charge vehicles (land raiders aren't hard with 2D6 AP, averaging 13 for your AP, only a little luck is needed to take it down. Even if it moves, the priest will ensure a few hits to get it destroyed. But you will get hit hard by exploding vehicles.) and single monstrous creatures or HQ's and they will earn their points back one way or another.

Hope you enjoyed my musing/ranting, CG.

Reactions: greggles

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just thought I'd add this in. Forgot, and was reminded when talking to some GW staff today.

I usually play mech, but in footslogging you can purchase a rhino for one of your many, many units of sisters and then just throw a unit of 8 repentia, mistress and the priest in there on the first turn. Yes, you have to have 10 girls to get the rhino, but hey, max out the faith while you can yeah? And having them in a rhino is definitely worth it, delivery systems are essential on units like this. Now if only we could get one for arco-flagellants and we'd be set.

·
3,395 Posts
...just throw a unit of 8 repentia, mistress and the priest in there on the first turn
Repentia can never be transported in any vehicle - it's in their entry just above 'special rules'

I find that any dedicated close combat unit will kill at least their value of repentia before the repentia themselves get to swing - a dozen ork boyz will beat the stuffing out of them on the charge for instance. This means a squad of 10 will probably only ever see one assault since even if they win there won't be enough left to survive another attack.

And there is the unfortunate habit of walking out of cover and bunching up into an excellent target for a blast or template every other turn (you can't use run to spread them out), the fact that when they catch up to the empty rhino they've been chasing for half the game the explosion will kill about 25% of them, and their general inability to receive a charge.

I always feel that repentia are only as good as your opponent lets them be ... and even then there is only so much they can do. Their charge distance for instance isn't quite so impressive when you consider that it's just fleet ... that doesn't work half the time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like the fact that after a particularly good assault with them, my opponents tend to give them more attention than they really warrant. I've had an opponent fire everything at them turn one giving the rest of my army a chance to get into great position. Many players don't know enough about them to know how to handle them. BTW, really enjoyed your thoughts on repentia.

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's half the benefit of them! When your opponent gets psyched out by them, they become worth far more, they fear them and will alter tactics and gameplans to avoid them. Yes, they are targetted, but it means those guns aren't pointed at another unit (that hopefully isn't a single-use one-use-only unit). Same goes for my exorcists if I end up getting either 12 or 17/18 missiles in a turn and blow away half of the enemies army in a turn or two, or my flying canoness who ended up turning that mawloc into a fine paste. This could also apply to arco-flagellants, a maxed unit of penitent engines, etc. We are quite lucky to have a few units like this, sadly, it only ever comes about with luck and repeatedly playing the same opponent. Oh well!

Thanks! I'm thinking of doing something like this for some of the less mainstream units that I actually find useful (like Orbital Bombardment).

·
3,395 Posts
sadly, it only ever comes about with luck and repeatedly playing the same opponent. Oh well!
You would think the opposite would be true, that an opponent wouldn't really know what to do with them on the first showing but would get a better feel form them after a game or two.

·
Registered
14 Posts
repentia always seemed like more of a point sink than they were worth to me. for the cost, i always preferred another unit of sisters. although i play against a lot of tau and space marines and they get shot up pretty quickly down to about three models (including the mistress and priest) and then just left that way.

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You would think the opposite would be true
I've found that my opponents are usually concerned over my exorcists and rhino wall. Especially since my repentia shield behind it. If they can't get at it, they don't immediately think of it. Those who I regularly play don't let the repentia near their vehicles/MC's.

repentia always seemed like more of a point sink
Mostly, I use them in larger games just to fill up points, in smaller games I favour more sisters and I agree with you there. 20 points a model is a bit steep for something that fragile. FNP or an invulnerable and we might be talking. I'm against 'nids, necrons, orks and chaos usually, so I'm pretty lucky and that aren't entirely worthless.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
love the models, hate the rules. holy rage drags them out of cover just as surely as a prince's lash, and after they get shot up, the survivors strike last in melee... They are, as you say, great against single models...but that's a pretty narrow niche, and we have other ways of dealing with those...my own preference is to pepper that TMC with a double salvo from a pair of exorcists...

·
3,395 Posts
what if they where ailed to a guard army , using creeds special ability ?
It'd give them a better shot at reaching a tank, though CC with any tank typically results in 25% casualties to the repentia - I guess it's a situation where you'd have a small 110 point squad, though they arn't fleet so you are still limited to 12" in and a dice roll for the edge.
Not much help for WH players though.

Keep in mind that a basic tau firewarrior squad will (on average) wipe out their value in repentia in a single turn with a carbine/close combat charge. They suck.

edit : The rumour is that when Graham McNeill was asked about the repentia in person he stated that they were designed with better saves, but cut back when the scantily clad models turned up at the studio and never properly tested and rebalanced.

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
edit : The rumour is that when Graham McNeill was asked about the repentia in person he stated that they were designed with better saves, but cut back when the scantily clad models turned up at the studio and never properly tested and rebalanced.
If they just had a 3+, an invun, FNP OR a transport they wouldn't be anywhere near as bad. But guess what folks? You get nothing at all, not one of them.

A comparison between repentia and the new dark eldar warriors was made. My buddies plate-armoured fighters get a 5+, I've got a loin cloth and an ill-effective bra (Have you seen it? Cup's AWOL) which gives me a 4+. Clearly, lack of communication between sculptors and game developers.

·
3,395 Posts
My buddies plate-armoured fighters get a 5+, I've got a loin cloth and an ill-effective bra (Have you seen it? Cup's AWOL) which gives me a 4+
Technically the DE get a 5+ followed by a 4+, while the repentia just get the 4+ and pre-date the feel no pain USR.

How about this for instance :

0-1 Repentia. Troops choice (non-scoring). 65 points.
________ WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
Mistress_ 4_ 4 3 3 1 4 2 10 3+
Repentia_ 4_ 0 3 3 1 4 1 _6 5+
Fanatic__ 4_ 0 3 3 1 4 2 _6 5+

Special rules - Rage, Righteous Fury, Righteous Zeal, Fleet, Rending, Fearless, FnP
Special rules (mistress only) - Fanatical (as priest)

Equipment (mistress) - Power armour, paired neural whips
Equipment (repentia) - Two close combat weapons
Equipment (fanatic) - Eviscerator

Squad - One mistress and 4 repentia. Add extra repentia for 7 points a model, upgrade any repentia to a fanatic for +15 points.

Righteous Zeal - as normal, but repentia always run. A passed test allows the player to control the movement while a failed Ld test functions as it does now.

OK so it's a bit rough but it keeps the feel of the repentia while making them (a little) more practical by ripping off the zealot/penal legion rules.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Repentia Tactic #1: Don't take Repentia.

9 Eviscerators don't mean anything when they can't survive until their turn to hit back. And they can't even kill that one big model without taking heavy casualties in the process. 210 points for a squad could buy you another Exorcist and 3 Eviscerators.

I've started taking a heavy Cannoness retinue with 8 Celestians and Priest, 1 Blessed Weapon and 2 Eviscerators. It's a very pricey squad, but I also get 2 melta, 3 pistol shots going into assault, better survivability, Holy Hatred, a transport, and a round of Initiative 4 hits to thin out the crowd before I hit with the Eviscerators. When the squad loses a few Sisters, they get even more deadly with 3+ invuls and +2 Initiative prayers. In my opinion, it's way more effective.

·
867 Posts
A comparison between repentia and the new dark eldar warriors was made. My buddies plate-armoured fighters get a 5+, I've got a loin cloth and an ill-effective bra (Have you seen it? Cup's AWOL) which gives me a 4+. Clearly, lack of communication between sculptors and game developers.
That is precisely how they get their 4+: they distract their foes!

Or they simply trust in the power of the Emperor! What are you, a heretic unbeliever!?! ;)

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[MENTION=30089]A.T.[/MENTION] My problem with those stats is that I don't feel it carries forth the fluff of the repentia. They are meant to die, they seek death, not survivability or effectiveness. Those rules just make it an okay assault unit. It would be better to play with (and far more reasonable) though.

[MENTION=50554]Melvin McSnatch[/MENTION] (Damn! I love that name) Never considered that. Would actually make a reasonable fighting tarpit to trap in the enemies combat freaks. And the more they butcher, the harder we become to kill off. Rep for that!

·
Registered
63 Posts
And you still have 5 "expendable" Celestians before it cuts into your point hogs.

I wouldn't use it as a tar pit. It should be pure offensive to get the rerolls from the priest and the extra attack per model. It's a very expensive unit and designed to win - not just hold - in CC. I've only used it once against daemons, but it killed 10 flesh hounds, 4 bloodletters, a Daemon Prince of some variety and 3 Screamers of Tzeentch. Cannoness, VSS, Priest and one Celestian still standing.

Got the assault on all of 'em because guy wasn't expecting it from Sisters. Dumped most of my faith on them though. Lots of invuls and 2+ initiative to thin 'em out, took a couple hits, then finished 'em off with the eviscerators.

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wouldn't use it as a tar pit. It should be pure offensive to get the rerolls from the priest and the extra attack per model. It's a very expensive unit and designed to win - not just hold - in CC.

Dumped most of my faith on them though.
I just don't think that it puts out enough attacks to categorise it as an "assault unit", I'd categorise it as "reasonable" and then use it to hold up, and hopefully eventually win against, one my opponents more aggressive units (berzerkers, massed ork boys, nid warriorrs). If it's going to take 2 or more turns to take the unit down, I'd classify it as a tarpit.

·
3,395 Posts
My problem with those stats is that I don't feel it carries forth the fluff of the repentia.
They are half and half repentia and zealots - the statlines haven't changed (other than BS 0) and they still rage forward at the same speed, just using 5th ed fleet/rage USRs instead of holy rage.

...they seek death, not survivability or effectiveness. Those rules just make it an okay assault unit.
Those repentia die just as readily as the old ones, you just get to field them for a more sensible price and kill something with them before they die.
Suicide units are fine, ineffective points sinks are pointless.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts