Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new member to the forum I noticed something a bit inexplicable regarding the reputation system and how this particular forum chooses to implement it.

In regards to the forum Moderators and Administrators; why do they have positive rep? Is it not self evident in the fact they were chosen among the hundreds of other members for their maturity and patience, that they in fact should already be regarded as highly reputable?

I have noticed that some Moderators have considerably less "Reputation" than others, yet they should all be regarded as equals by the average member. This only serves to lessen the voice of a Moderator with less reputation even though they hold the same position.

I realize that this will cause some consternation among the Moderators with a high level of rep and perhaps be lauded by Moderators with lower rep, but this is the first board that I have visited, which allowed Moderators to have reputation at all. Moderators already hold a higher position of authority and certainly should have no need of these trappings, unless reputation here is only another means of measuring the infamous E-Peen, which I find distasteful.

This is just my opinion, but perhaps Reputation should be left to identify the "regular" members that have not attained a Modship, but should be regarded highly nonetheless. In other words, it should be a member priveledge since Mods already have elevated priveledges.

Also, I tip my hat to Blackhat. He could modify his reputation to the maximum level any time he wishes, yet he is humble enough to allow even his own Mods to surpass him. I am fairly certain that I would not show the same restraint were it my own web site.

Worlds Collide

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Many Moderators and Administrators have a low rep, simply because people don't rep them.
They have all the benefits of a high rep value though. They can give negative rep, have access to the enhanced members forum, have a rep power of 10 (this is the value they can effect others rep score by, it is fixed and constant for Mods/Admins but variable for other members; once you gain entry to the enhanced forum, your rep power would be roughly 2 or 3 so 10 is high). This is all on top of their maderation/administrative powers.

·
Boiiing!
1,392 Posts
Mods / Supermods = Variable rep power that is dealt with the same as other members, i.e.
They give their full rep power for a +ve rep and half their rep power for a -ve rep

Supervisors / Admins = Fixed rep power of 10, our rep uses its full potential for both +ve and -ve rep.

Having said that, I am planning on discussung rep with the other modorators to see if the current levels are appropriate and if caps should be set up. However that is not a discussion for here yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After reading the responses I'm not entirely certain that I was able to correctly convey my point.

The end result of everything that I was discussing above is that I do not believe that moderators should have their reputation points or reputation power displayed. The reasoning behind this is that all Moderators should be on a level playing field. All Moderators within a specific Mod Group (Mod, Super Mod, Supervisor... ect) have the same powers and responsiblities to the community and should be viewed as equals to the common members.

Reputation, at it's heart, is a method of social stratification among regular members who do not have access to Moderation powers. In other words, we should all already realize that Mods are of a highly reputable class here, therefore removing the need to have stars and other accoutrements of social standing next to their name.

I am not in any way suggesting that Mods should not be able to give or receive reputation, I am merely implying that it is a bit distasteful and perhaps egocentric to have their reputation displayed.

Worlds Collide

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just for an example. Caluin and Chaosbrynn are both great mods. Caluin's rep is substantially higher, but I don't think better than him because of that. The thing is I see Chaosbrynn a lot is helping noobs with lists. Even if the rep him their rep is so low that it won't make a difference. i think that having your rep displayed is a good thing.

also just to say this somewhere (over the rainbow) I like supermods better than supervisors (the title I mean) because of the title and I like the blue. Also the Supervisor makes them seem, at least to me more distant and less like a member and more like a disciplinarian. However it suits Phobos, not cause hes distant, cause he scares me :cry:

(oh god I hope I haven't insulted him)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts