Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was re-reading the rules on Victory Points (don't we all love re-reads :D) and there's one part that says "off-table". Now I understand this point clearly means points for units that have already ran off the table due to falling back, but what is the ruling for units that did not make it? Do they count as "off-table"?

It does seem like a sad scenario, but there is always the remote chance that you rolled 1s in the last three turns for reserves and your reserves never come in :X

·
is coming out to play
991 Posts
When stuff is in reserve and they never make it to the table I see that as they never came to play. They never had a chance to even get to table so I would say they are just worth 0 vp.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
Units that don't make it on are counted as casualties. That is why the swooping hawk thing, where they go back into reserves, is a bad idea on turn 5 or 6.

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
Dark Eldar players could certainly be some real spiteful <insert regionally appropriate expletive> if you didn't get any VPs for things that never made it through the webway!
Hi, (Dark Eldar player here) and indeed units that did not make it onto the table during the game turns are counted as destroyed.

Webway reserves are held there until they can come out, but when the game is over there is no chance to come out, period. And victory points are only for what is currently in play.

Although I would love to argue the opposite I just dont have the ammunition to do so!

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I'll dig around and find it, but I'm 95% sure that GW has written it in rules to say that any reserves that don't come on are counted as destroyed.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
In the rules for Reserves on P.85 BGB, the italicised note says that "you may not delay..........or keep the reserves hanging around *off-table* until you decide....". So it can be asserted that all Reserves are considered "off-table" until a successful dice roll has been made for them to come and join the fun.

Since they are so designated, then according to the column in the Victory Points Table on P.85 BGB they will be worth full VPs to the opponent if by the end of the game they have not been successfully brought out of reserve into play.

E.

·
Dark Eldar Gerbil
1,522 Posts
I am going to agree and say that they count as destroyed as it does not say anywhere otherwise other than the afformentioin paragraph on units not on the table.

But to add to this just re-reading the WWP FAQ it seems to say to me that if the portal is blocked one turn then i may enter the table from the table edge the next turn even if the portal is blocked. This is because "Units may not partially enter play using the portal... these are still considered held in Reserve, and may enter on the following turn if they meet the above criteria."

They are now only considered in reserve. No longer in the WWP and a reserve may chose whether to enter via the portal or the table edge.

Thoughts?

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
I am going to agree and say that they count as destroyed as it does not say anywhere otherwise other than the afformentioin paragraph on units not on the table.

But to add to this just re-reading the WWP FAQ it seems to say to me that if the portal is blocked one turn then i may enter the table from the table edge the next turn even if the portal is blocked. This is because "Units may not partially enter play using the portal... these are still considered held in Reserve, and may enter on the following turn if they meet the above criteria."

They are now only considered in reserve. No longer in the WWP and a reserve may chose whether to enter via the portal or the table edge.

Thoughts?

Hi Mate,
A bit off topic here but the Webway portal rules say “… units entering play as reserves maybe placed on the portal instead of the table edge.”

And “if you do this then the troops may only enter using the webway.”

So if you have a portal as part of your army roster you must only use this for all your reserves to come on from.

The partial entry pertains to bringing on the entire unit and not just part of it, but why you try and do this is beyond me!

Old Codex strikes again!

·
Dark Eldar Gerbil
1,522 Posts
Ahh yes, but if you use the FAQ which "clears" things up for 4th Ed. You get an entirely different opinion on how it works with regard to holding things off the table.

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
Ahh yes, but if you use the FAQ which "clears" things up for 4th Ed. You get an entirely different opinion on how it works with regard to holding things off the table.
Hi Mate,
Which FAQ are you referring to here as the DE one makes no further reference that I can see about “holding things off the table.”

And similarly with the 4th Ed FAQ but maybe I am missing something here.

Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.