Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Im sorta really new to Warhammer, ive been playing on and off with a friend for the last 4 years (i havent posted since 2010) and now we're returning to the game and we have a new friend whos playing with us. Currently I dont really have a set army list. I have 3 or 4 squads of cadian shock troops, 1 sentinel, 1 heavy weapons team and a command squad. The HW team is a part of the command squad and has been using a auto-cannon. I am up against (for sure) a small army of orks with no heavy vehicles (just some small copters) and about 2 squads and a war boss. I am also up against space marines (I know there are terminators in that army) and our new friend has yet to decide between space wolves or chaos space marines. Orks are hardly fielded and none of the armies have any vehicles (for now). Points can go anywhere from 1000 to 2000, probably not much bigger than 2000 points. Any help on what I can do or stuff to add to my army would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The new 6th edition rules have changed a lot for guard.

Everything is better balanced now. The same old things work still but mech isn't quite so dominant and infantry lists are more viable.

The aegis line is a great option for IG armies. A blob of infantry can go to ground behind the wall for a 2+ cover save and then use orders (vox helps a lot) to "get back in the fight" and fight normally next turn. They also get a quad cannon that gives you some cover against fliers.

I think overall just take models that you like. I find you can build an army around pretty much anything, although there's some stand-out units in 6th ed:

Our fliers are ridiculously cheap since they're balanced as skimmers but when flying normally will now require 6s to be hit. They're really hard to kill.

The Leman Russ is also really good. The changes to blast weapons make them even better against enemy vehicles. All varients have some viability now though and AV14 is better than ever as people seem to be fielding fewer high powered anti tank weapons (f.e. Tau broadside railguns are ST8 now, rather than ST10).

Since you're up against marines a lot I would take a mixed army. Some stormtroopers in Chimeras can outflank and gives you the ability to reach his backfield without getting shot up. Plasma guns + their AP3 lasguns will put serious pressure on any marines trying to secure the backfield.
I would also take a Russ or two. The AP3 and AP2 pie plates are especially good against marines although the Punisher is amazing too. It can take HB sponsons and fire everything after moving so you're looking at 29 ST5 shots per turn on the move. It's a monster against infantry.

Finally some infantry with a commissar to make them brave put behind an aegis line to shore up your own backfield would be a good investment.
Issue some more plasma guns for killing the power armour and you're good to go.

You probably have enough models for a low points game. I'd get an aegis line and a Leman Russ and then play some 1000 point games to get a feel for the army and how the new edition plays.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
You should have three Chimeras in your army. That's enough to run a mechanized list in small games or enable your command squads to use special weapons (and orders) effectively in larger games. Either way, they'll also provide a way for your scoring units to reach distant objectives--a perennial difficulty for Guard, since our men are slow and don't live long in the open.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Chimeras are a rock star in this scenario. For ~55points you can have a multilaser, heavy bolter/HF that is also a transport with five fire points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts