Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Review of the 2010 Tyranid Codex

THIS POST HAS NOT YET BEEN EDITED FOT 6th ed. Hopefully, once I've got to grips with the new rules, I'll edit it, to make it relevant for 6th. This might take a while.

This post is not intended to be an extensive tactica, though it does contain some thoughts on that subject.

It is simply a review of each unit in the new Codex, including some of their uses.

Inevitably I will have missed some blatantly obvious things, so please post to add info, correct my mistakes etc. I can then edit the post so it makes more sense.

From the Biomass formally known as Lord Ramon

Overview of the 2010 Nids

Long gone are the days when Rending ruled the battlefield. We now get less Rending hits per Attack as we did in the previous rules edition (In 4th ed’ rules 6s To Hit gave Rending). Against vehicles, we only get half as much additional penetration.

In this codex we have lost our ‘Eternal Warrior’ equivalent and Move Through Cover. This is not good. Many models are cheaper points cost. This is good. There are plenty of new crazy dudes. This is very good. Disturbingly Feeder Tendrils have disappeared too. Not Good.

The lack of Eternal Warrior and Invulnerable saves on our largest monsters now is a real downer.

In relation to Anti-Tank we have some good shootiness: the Heavy Venom Cannon (Carnifex, Harpy), Warp Lance (Zoanthrope), Rupture Cannon (Tyrannofex), and Impaler Cannon (Hive Guard). From a close combat Anti-Tank point of view, the Carnifex is still king of the hill, followed by the Monstrous Creatures with S6. One average a Carnifex has a penetration of 16 in close combat, where MCs with S6 have an average of 13. In Assaults against all non-Walker vehicles, when we attempt to penetrate their rear armour, 13 is plenty good enough.

Our units with Rending, S4+ and plenty of Attacks should deal with Rear Armour 10, though don’t rely on this too much. Each Attack against a vehicle which has moved at Combat speed has a 50% of hitting. With S4 you need a 6 to Glance. So the chance to Glance Armour 10 with 1x S4 Attack is 50% of 16.66% = 8.33%. if you have Rending them rolling a 6 for Penetration gives the Rending bonus, and so means that you will Penetrate not Glance. Statistically you need 12 S4 Rending Attacks to achieve one Penetration.

Each S5 Attack has 8.33% chance of Glancing Armour10, and 8.33% of Penetrating. So Rending makes no difference against Armour10, but is very useful against Armour 11. As Armour 11 includes (Chaos) Space Marine transports, this is cool! Using the same logic each S6 Rending Attack has an 8.33% of penetrating Armour12.

If an enemy vehicle remained stationary last turn, these %s all double, so 8.33% becomes 16.66%.

The new Instinctive Behaviour rules make good sense, and have been nicely put together. Synapse is now less important than it used to be. Well done GW.

Quite a few of our bugs have Shadow in the Warp, and this is a useful addition though nowhere near as powerful as the version from previous Codex. Having said that, in the past if the one bug with Shadow got killed, you lost all your cover. Now it is spread around more, albeit with a much smaller area of effect per model.

What is interesting is that Termangaunts are so cheap that we can have four units of 10 and a host of Monstrous Creatures (say 2x Tervigons with Regen/Catalyst/Toxin or Adrenal + 2x Heavy Venom Fexs) for 1,000pts. That’s 8 units with 5 scoring.

Adrenal Glands vs. Toxin Sacs

Choosing whether to take Toxin Sacs or Adrenal Glands, or to ignore them is quite complex. If you know what army your opponent is fielding, this helps a lot. However, for all-comers lists the choice is difficult as these upgrades are sometimes not cheap.

For S3 models, when we assault Adrenal Glands improve their chances of damaging T2,3,4,5,7 and give them a chance against vehicle armour 10. They also increase Initiative when we assault.

For S4 models, when we assault Adrenal Glands improve their chances of damaging T3,4,5,6,8, and give them better capability to damage vehicle armour 10, and a chance against vehicle armour 11. They also increase Initiative when we assault.

For S5 models, when we assault Adrenal Glands improve their chances of damaging T4,5,6,7,9 and give them better capability to damage vehicle armour 11, and a chance against vehicle armour 12. They also increase Initiative when we assault.

For S6 models, when we assault Adrenal Glands improve their chances of damaging T5,6,7,8,10 and give them better capability to damage vehicle armour 12, and a chance against vehicle armour 13. They also increase Initiative when we assault.

In general, this means that Adrenal Glands work well with Rending when you want to Assault vehicles.

For all our models, Toxin Sacs improve their chances of damaging any models with Toughness, but do not improve our effect against vehicles or increase Initiative. Also with Sacs, S3 can damage T7+, S4 can damage T8+ etc. The lack of bonus against vehicles doesn’t really trouble our Monstrous Creatures very much.

Mycetic Spores

Our Spores are as good at Deep Striking as Drop Pods and carry more dudes….. yeah baby! Use them as Marine players do, especially in regard to them proving cover for your units which have just ‘Disembarked’. Have a look in the SM section for Drop Pod advice.

There is a big ‘however’ in regard to our Spores. In many situations the units carried may need Synapse, so you need to have your Synapse strategy well organised before you drop your bugs all over the battlefield.

Limited Sentience: remember that your Ripper Tentacles have a very limited range. If you do want to upgrade the Spores shooting weapon, also note that is has a very poor BS.

When shooting remember that Spores can shoot their Ripper Tentacles and their extra weapon.

Weapon upgrades:
- Cluster Spines: This is a nice weapon, but for me, its range is too short. Having said that, because of Limited Sentience this may not be a problem. Against 3+ armour this is a useful weapon. Against vehicles this weapon is not much use.
- Stinger Salvo: Range = short. This weapon’s AP is great when you are fighting Guard, Eldar, and Dark Eldar. Equally this is a waste of points when used against 3+ Armour. Against vehicles with Armour 10 or 11 this weapon is vaguely useful.
- TL-Deathspitter: Range = short. TL means you have a slightly better chance to hit (33% + 33% of 66% = total of 55%). This means that in theory you will hit 0.32 times per shot more than the Stinger Salvo. However, the Salvo has a better AP, so in a tourney/competitive All-Comers list, choose the Salvo over the Deathspitter. Against vehicles with Armour 10 or 11 this weapon is vaguely useful.
- Barbed Strangler: Good range. Good against T3 and Orks. Against vehicles this weapon is not useful.
- Venom Cannon: Good range. O.K. against vehicles with Armour 10 or 11. Good against all units not Embarked, especially those without 3+ Armour.

In a Spore heavy list it is worth taking a few long range upgrades for Spores you intend to drop on the flanks, rather than in the centre.

If you do put a decent shooting weapon on your Spore, don’t expect it to last too long. Although they look tough, their weak Toughness and Armour save means they will die quickly to enemy shooting.

It is very important that you read and remember the sentence regarding Scoring for Mycetic Spores on page 90.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: n/a
- Defending your Objectives: n/a
- Killing enemy units: With a decent shooting weapon they can certainly help
- Planetstrike Attacker: Very useful
- Planetstrike Defender: Could be useful as a surprise attack to destabilise your opponents plan
- Apocalypse: Definitely useful
- Best used against: anyone

·
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HQ

Hive Tyrant

Be careful not to add too many upgrades to your Tyrants, as they do not have enough Toughness, Wounds or Invulnerable save to survive for too long. You can take Leech, Armoured Shell and Regeneration to make your HT survive longer, but that puts its base cost up to 230pts, before you upgrade any weapons etc.

I am not so convinced as some about the idea of a walking HT with a big gun, protected by a Tyrant Guard Brood. The Guard are very expensive and don’t have any shooting. Weapons, so for me, they should be Running until they can get into Assault range.

This means that the most obvious Tyrant builds will be:
- Winged assault based HT with all close combat weapons
- Walking assault based HT with all close combat weapons, with a retinue of Tyrant Guard
- Winged shooting based HT with all shooting weapons

HT weapon upgrades
- Additional set of Scything Talons – Good if you are building a Shooty HT as you can replace them with shooting weapons. As the HT is a Monstrous Creature he doesn’t need his Bonesword to crack open armour. As the Bonesword and having a second set of STs both have useful rules for close combat, I think this is a viable upgrade and, would take it for a close combat HT in an All-Comers/Tournament list.
- Deathspitter. I think the Devourer is much better.
- Devourer with Brainleech Worms. This is a great weapon, and is well worth taking twice for a Winged Shooty HT.
- Strangethorn Cannon. This is reasonable value for money for a walking HT, but remember that it will not damage strong vehicle armour. It’s a great anti-horde weapon.
- Heavy Venom Cannon. This is also reasonable value for money for a walking HT if you need extra anti-vehicle weapons.

As I mentioned above, as the only shooting build for me is a winged Tyrant, I would arm it with:
). 2x Devourer with Brainleech Worms
). Devourer with Brainleech Worms and a Strangethorn Cannon
). Devourer with Brainleech Worms and a Heavy Venom Cannon

HT upgrades
- Armoured Shell. Of course this is a very useful upgrade, but it is very expensive. If you know which army you are fighting against, it can be a decent choice based on the AP of their weapons.
- Wings. Despite their horrendous cost, if you want an Assault close combat HT you should buy these.
- Adrenal Glands. Nice for an Assault close combat HT but definitely not critical. The initiative bonus can be very useful against the HQs of your enemy.
- Toxin Sacs. These are very nice for an Assault close combat HT but are definitely not critical.
- Acid Blood. Nice but don’t bother. There are plenty of better things to spend your points on.
- Implant Attack. Don’t bother. There are plenty of better things to spend your points on.
- Toxic Miasma. More interesting! I think this is worth checking out for Assault close combat HTs.
- Regeneration. Although this is reasonably priced, I am not sure that HTs have enough Wounds to warrant taking this. To me it makes better sense for the 6 Wound creatures.

HT Thorax Swarm upgrades. Yes these weapons have good potential benefits, but they are expensive. I think that they may add too many points to be used. Of the three, I think that Thorax Swarm with Desiccator Larvae is the best choice.

HT upgrade Abilities: None of these upgrades are cheap, so think carefully before you buy.
- Hive Commander: Simple, if you are fielding a Tyrant, and using 2+ units of Reserves, this is a no-brainer. Take it!. It is good for Planetstrike and Apocalypse too. In Planetstrike as the Attacker, it will speed up the arrival of your units. In Apocalypse it gives you a simple version of ‘Flank March’.
- Indescribable Horror: To be honest, I think may well be a waste of points. However, if you intend to contest Objectives with your HT, it could be useful.
- Old Adversary: If you are playing a very Assault based list, this is well worth taking. The idea of Adrenal Gland enhanced Termagaunts affected by this, and smashing Marines is very appealing.

HT Psychic Powers: Remember that HT’s can use one Psychic power in the Shooting phase, and still shoot with one bio-weapon.
- The Horror: useful against low leadership only
- Leech Essence: as I can’t describe the rule itself, let’s just say… perfect. Definitely take this, it will keep your Tyrant going and really irritate your opponents.
- Paroxysm: Hmm.. Compared with Leech and Scream this has little value.
- Psychic Scream: Again, definitely take this.

Here’s a few HT builds:
- Flying assault based Hive Tyrant: Leech Essence and Psychic Scream, 2x pairs of Scything Talons and Toxin Sacs, Wings = 240pts

- Walking assault based Hive Tyrant for a retinue of Tyrant Guard: Leech Essence and Psychic Scream, 2x pairs of Scything Talons and Toxin Sacs = 180pts

A close combat HT with 2x pairs of Scything Talons and Toxin Sacs can take on anyone in close combat, gets a lot of re-rolls, and should get a high percentage of kills per Attack.

For the close combat HTs, Toxic Miasma and Old Adversary are also useful upgrades if you have the points.

- Flying shooting based Hive Tyrant with all shooting weapons: Leech Essence and Psychic Scream, Wings and
+ 2x Devourer with Brainleech Worms = 260pts
+ Devourer with Brainleech Worms and a Strangethorn Cannon = 265pts
+ Devourer with Brainleech Worms and a Heavy Venom Cannon = 270pts
+ Devourer, Bonesword and Lash Whip (or Scything Talons if that’s how your model is made) = 245pts. This variant shoots with Leech Essence or Psychic Scream and the Devourer. Obviously it is not as effective as the other builds at ranges past 12”.

Any HT can take Hive Commander if that suits your list.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: HTs are not Troops, so can only Contest in normal 40k games. In Apocalypse and Planetstrike they can take Objectives. Don’t plan to sit on an Objective for 2+ rounds with a close combat Tyrant as it can be shot to bits without being able to reply.
- Defending your Objectives: Again, only long range shooty HT are really useful in this regard.
- Killing enemy units: Great in any format.
- Planetstrike Attacker: With Wings a HT can Deepstrike and then immediately Assault!
- Planetstrike Defender: Don’t bother.
- Apocalypse: Walking HTs can be useful for obtaining Objectives in No-Man’s land. Winged can obviously get round the whole board and can Deep Strike.
- Best used against: CSM, SM, Tau, Eldar, Dark Eldar and Necrons. Guard have too many Heavy weapons and Sister have too much Faith based Invulnerableness.

Swarmlord
This guy is veeery expensive for a model with no general invulnerable save, and no Regeneration. If you field it, you must buy it the Tyrant Guards, to make sure it gets into Assault in one piece. Use cover and don’t give your opponent time to shoot him to bits.

As for his powers and capabilities, he’s a real brute in Assaults, capable of killing most things in the game. Alien Cunning, Blade Parry, Psychic Monstrosity, and Swarm Leader are all very useful, and it has a powerful statline. Whether all this adds up to its heavy points cost remains to be seen, and I haven’t considered fielding one yet.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Taking yes. Holding: no. With no shootiness it’s useless, and will be shot to bits.
- Defending your Objectives: No.
- Killing enemy units: Yes, big time if it has guards.
- Planetstrike Attacker: No.
- Planetstrike Defender: No.
- Apocalypse: Only useful for taking Objectives in No-Man’s land.
- Best used against: CSM, SM, Tau, Eldar, Dark Eldar and Necrons. Guard have too many Heavy weapons and Sister have too much Faith based Invulnerableness.

Tervigon
This bug is a bit of a mixed up guy. It’s tooled mainly for close combat, but has relatively low Strength and not so many Attacks. It does have a shooting attack, but for this many points, you shouldn’t consider it as a shooting unit. The balance for it large points cost, is its ability to spawn.

I love this Spawn Termagaunts power. The chance to get a double is 50% (1st dice – rolls any number, 2nd dice has 16.66% of rolling that number, and the 3rd dice has a 16.66% of rolling the same number as dice 1 and a 16.66% of rolling the same number as dice 2). So you can easily get only one unit of Gaunts before they run out. On average you will get 10-11 Gaunts created, which is not exactly a huge amount of points gained. On the plus side, they are a Troops choice. On the negative side, they are easy to kill, and are a Kill Point. Even this one unit, assuming you get a reasonably sized unit, makes the Tervigon worth its points.

Brood Progenitor tools up any nearby Termagaunts tempting us to upgrade the Tervigon, which makes most sense if you are going to buy at least one unit of Termagaunts for your list. If you do this, then the Tervigon can change from being an HQ too.

Tervigon Upgrades
- Adrenal Glands: As the Tervigon is so slow in close combat, the change in Initiative is irrelevant, but the Strength gain is useful for it. From the point of view of the Termagaunts, it gives them the same Initiative as Space Marines, and a much better chance to wound enemies. Overall Adrenal Glands is a viable choice.
- Toxin Sacs: When compared with Adrenal Sacs, this won’t improve the Initiative of the Termagaunts, and nor will it improve their chances of Wounding T4; however, it will improve their chances against T3 and allow them to Wound anything ….. Termagaunts killing Wraithlords… sounds good. From the Tervigon’s point of view, it improves its chances against most non-vehicle models in the game. Overall Toxin Sacs is also a viable choice.
- Acid Blood. Nice but don’t bother. There are plenty of better things to spend your points on.
- Implant Attack. Don’t bother. There are plenty of better things to spend your points on.
- Toxic Miasma. As with the Tyrant, this might me worth trying.
- Regeneration: I think this is good upgrade for the Tervigon. The reason being, that with so many Wounds, its unlikely that your opponent will kill it in one round, and therefore you will be able to make quite a few Regen’ rolls.
- Scything Talons: I don’t think the Tervigon has enough Attacks to warrant buying this.
- Crushing Claws: Nice, but expensive. I don’t think the Tervigon warrants this extra expenditure.
- Cluster Spines: This is a useful version of its shooting and is well worth trying out. Its downside is that as it has a short range, and your Tervigon is likely to be heading straight towards the enemy, if you screw up your Scatter, you can easily blow your own bugs to bits.

Tervigon Psychic Upgrades
- Catalyst: This is a no-brainer. Just buy it.
- Onslaught: This is a nice power, however, as Catalyst and Dominion are both very useful, I wouldn’t bother buying this.

Used as a Troops choice the Tervigon gives us the option to turn out huge (Ork Boyz) style units of Termangaunts, led by Tyranid Primes, with good protection (Catalyst) and Adrenal or Toxic assistance from the Terivgon. Although this grouping is a lot of points, it is damn dangerous.

Only time will tell whether these bugs are really the super-heros of the new Codex.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: With a limited shooting attack, Tervigon’s have limited use in holding Objectives; but for taking them and supporting its little bugs, it’s pretty good.
- Defending your Objectives: Not really.
- Killing enemy units: On its own, it’s just not good enough. As tactical support working with Gaunts, it looks good.
- Planetstrike Defender: As tactical support for Gaunts, it looks good.
- Apocalypse: Yes, as tactical support for Gaunts.
- Best used against: anyone you think your Gaunts can fight.

Tyranid Prime
Tyranid Primes can be used for cheap Synapse support. They are perfectly suited to lead units deep striking or entering play from a Trygon’s tunnel. The Prime should be given a pair of Boneswords and a Devourer, Deathspitter, Scything Talons or Rending Claws – fitting with the unit it is attached to.

Note that they are not Fleet, and therefore not suitable to lead Broods that are. Also, their talents will be wasted if they are attached to a unit of Warriors walking across the battlefield. Primes need to be butchering the enemy in Assaults.

Toxin Sacs or Adrenal Glands should only be used if you know that your opponent will have plenty of T5+ units.
I’m not convinced that the Regeneration upgrade will be worth it.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Good as they provide Synapse. Bad as they are not shooty.
- Defending your Objectives: Good as they provide Synapse. Bad as they are not shooty.
- Killing enemy units: Yes.
- Planetstrike Attacker: Good as they provide Synapse. Use with Spore mounted Deep Strikers
- Planetstrike Defender: Good as they provide Synapse. Bad as they are not shooty.
- Apocalypse: Good as they provide Synapse and are good fighters.
- Best used against: Anyone.

Tyrant Guard
These guys protect your walking HTs and Swarmlords. They are purely close combat bugs. If you use three, it may be worth giving one a Bonesword, and one a Lashwhip. Against vehicles they have good strength and their Rending may help a little if you are lucky with your penetration rolls, but their chances against Land Raiders are very slim.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Taking good. Holding, not as good as they can’t shoot, but they are very tough. Pity they’re not Troops.
- Killing enemy units: Yes, especially with Bonesword and Lashwhip.
- Planetstrike Defender: No. Would need Shootiness.
- Apocalypse: Depends on the HT they guard.

The Parasite of Mortrex
This guy is like a flying Tyranid Prime with funky special effects. For someone with the same Toughness, Armour and Wounds as a Marine captain, but no Power weapon or Invulnerable save, he’s quite expensive. If you can get him into close combat he’s likely to generate plenty of Swarms, and like the Tervigon, I like this idea.

As he is an Independent Character, he can join a unit and therefore gain a meat-shield giving him a good chance of getting into Assault. You really need to give him a bodyguard of preferably Shrikes, but if not, Sky Slasher Rippers.
Point him at the lowest armoured members of your opponent’s army, and make little bugs.

Implant Parasite is a powerful rule, especially against T3 armies.

For example: The Parasite Assaults some standard Imperial Guard or Eldar Guardians. On average it will hit 3.3 times, Wound 2.74 times (with a 45% chance of a Rending wound) and Kill 1.82 times (ignoring the Rend%). If you include the Rend it will kill 2 in the attack. Each casualty would test, failing on 4+; so on average one will fail, generating 3-4 bases of Rippers.

Against MEQs (SM, CSM, Necron Warriors) it will hit 3.3 times, Wound 2,74 times and Kill around 1.1 MEQs, with a 37% chance of creating 3-4 Rippers bases.

The Parasite’s good strength will help against vehicles with 10, 11 and 12 rear armour, and its Rending might too.

So what I am suggesting is that the Parasite is likely to be useless in a Tourney/Competitive All Comers list.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Taking – yes. Holding: It’s a Synapse creature so provides valuable support, though it has no ranged weaponry.
- Defending your Objectives: Only useful as a Synapse creature and for The Sarge is Acting Strangely.
- Planetstrike Attacker: Yes.
- Planetstrike Defender: Only useful as a Synapse creature and for The Sarge is Acting Strangely.
- Apocalypse: I doubt it will have much impact against most armies.
- Best used against: Orks, IG, Witch Hunters, Tyranids, Tau, Eldar and Dark Eldar.

·
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ELITES

Hive Guard

On paper these guys look quite good, and as they can be taken in Broods of one, they might be useful for filling in when you have 50-60pts left at the end of your list. Equally they might be so good that it’s worth turning out a full Brood, which would certainly smash many vehicles to bits.

These bugs have a better BS than most others, and of course, this makes their shooting more deadly. As they wound anything with T6 or less on 2+, they will also damage almost all units in the game. The downside to this, is that most units with T5-6 have a better armour save than the AP of the Impaler Cannon.

We don’t have so many good anti-vehicle shooting units, and for the price of one Carnifex with a Heavy Venom Cannon, you can have three Hive Guard. That’s likely to be a good exchange and I will consider playing them sometime.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: They might not be the best at taking but they look real good for holding.
- Defending your Objectives: Yes.
- Killing enemy units: Yes, especially if used against high Toughness high value targets.
- Planetstrike Defender: Yes.
- Apocalypse: These guys could go either way, but I think they’ll turn out to be pretty good in Apocaypse.
- Best used against: Orks, IG, Tyranids, Tau, Eldar, Dark Eldar and anyone who plays Mechanised lists.

Lictor
The Lictor’s deployment is much better than it used to be, but as they can’t Assault on the turn they arrive, and have a poor shooting attack, their most useful aspect is their Pheromone Tail. However, they have to survive for a turn before you get the use of it to guide in your other Deep Strikers. Because of its relatively cheap cost, it may be worth fielding one if you intend to use at least two other units who Deep Strike from Reserve

The Lictor’s good strength will help against vehicles with 10, 11 and 12 rear armour, and its Rending might too.

Remember that your Lictors no longer have Feeder Tendrils, which is a downer!

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Taking - only as part of a joint Assault. Holding – likely to be useless.
- Killing enemy units: Only as part of a joint Assault.
- Planetstrike Attacker: Maybe because of Pheromone Tail.
- Apocalypse: They’ll probably be quite useful.

Deathleaper
This thing is an expensive Lictor with one very impressive trick. Use ‘It’s After Me’ on your opponents best Psyker. If they don’t have a Psyker, just screw with their highest Leadership commander or model with some kind of special rule based on the Leadership.

Because of the ‘Where is it’ rule, if you deploy a good distance away from as many of the enemy units as possible, and in cover, this thing may just live long enough to be useful. The problem with this, is that if you are hiding your Deathleaper may not be able to assist your Deep Strikers.

The Leaper is quite good in Assaults, but very fragile. It will die very quickly. Don’t get tempted to fight with it, while it is providing Reserve and Deep Strike assistance, or while it is suppressing the Leadership of your enemy’s mighty sorcerer etc. For example, to bring Ahriman or Eldrad’s Leadership down is just too good to waster.

Similarly don’t break cover just to do a quick shot at an enemy, as the Leaper does not have good BS or range. Of course, if it can join in with combined shooting this ‘rule’ is certainly breakable, but be very careful. For example: the enemy has a Basilisk that’s blowing your Nids to pieces. Say you Deep Strike a Spore and the unit it carries can get decent at the Basilisk, if your Leaper could shoot at its Rear armour, maybe its worth the risk. Make sure it keeps as much cover as possible from the enemy though.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Taking – yes as part of a combined attack. Holding – no, it would need a better ranged weapon for me.
- Killing enemy units: Yes as part of a combined attack, but see my text above for details.
- Apocalypse: Yes.
- Best used against: Anyone

Zoanthropes
With their extremely groovy Invulnerable save, silly anti-tank gun, Mycetic Spore and reasonable price, these guys are a non-brainer. Some players will complain at the loss of the old Codex ‘Psychic Scream’, but overall we have a winner here.

Both Warp Blast and Warp Lance are extremely effective shooting attacks, and our opponent’s will be rightly afraid of these guys. Remember that you can Instant Kill T5 models with Warp Lance. Be afraid you miserable Wolf riders.

Mycetic Spores seem an obvious choice for Zoanthropes, used in Broods of two or three. I can see plenty of lists having two Broods x two Zoans in Spores. It may be worth upgrading the Spore’s weapon to a Stinger Salvo or Venom Cannon, to assist the Zoans in killing vehicles with poor armour, or protecting them.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Yes.
- Planetstrike Attacker: Yes, in Spores.

The Doom of Malan’tai
Where do I begin…. Doom is definitely the correct word for this critter. If you get your mind organised to use Spirit Leech, Absorb Life and Cataclysm well, it can be a real beast. Because the Doom needs to get so close to the enemy it can hug them, you need a plan for keeping it alive. With that in mind, I don’t think walking it across the board is a viable option. It can have a Spore, so use it.

For its points cost, this is a very tough hombre, with great potential. The enemy will learn to fear it, and will have to focus fire on it before it reaches their lines.

In Assaults it is fragile. It is a unit on its own, and can therefore be targeted by plenty of enemy models. Remember that Spirit Leech works even when the Doom is in close combat, as does Absorb Life. If you move it close to an enemy unit, Spirit Leech could kill enough of their models that other units of yours end up out of Assault or Shooting range.

Cataclysm can be devastating at S4 or more, especially against MEQs (Marines, Terminators, Necrons, Sisters etc). At S7+ it can be very useful vs. vehicles, but I don’t see the Doom being a vital part of your anti-vehicle plan.

Will I field it? Yes I am certainly going to try it out, though I genuinely can’t predict how well it will really do.

- Planetstrike Attacker: Yes, in Spore.

Venomthropes
I have very mixed feelings about these guys. Their Spore Cloud looks very useful, and they are obviously going to be good to have around in Assaults. However, once our opponents learn how to deal with them, they will make sure that they don’t have (m)any models in base contact with Venomthropes, including removing casualties to achieve this. Because they can’t join other units they will be target by small units of shooters.

Although we can take more than one in a Brood, I wouldn’t want to pay out so many points in games of 2,000pts or less.

A Venomthrope hiding behind a Tervigon, becomes an instant Warlock with Conceal, but can also protect the Termagaunts hanging with the Tervigon. The same logic applies with a Tyrannofex, and with a walking Tyrant with guards.

Should you take Mycetic Spores for them. I don’t think so. I think they are better suited to support our walking units which won’t be holed up in Cover for most of the game. Will I use them? I don’t have space for one in the first lists I’ve creature, but their ability to give cover saves will change that. The models look great, and sadly that always helps (They’ll be a bitch to position in Assaults again some units though)

- Killing enemy units: Only as part of combined Assaults.
- Apocalypse: Yes. Good to use as ‘escorts’ for your units.

Pyrovores
These guys are essentially funky Biovores with nice flamers. I can’t imagine fielding them without a Mycetic Spore, as they are very close range operators. In Assaults they will make good partners to another unit, but should not think of Assaulting on their own. Overall I can see opponents ignoring them till they get close, then blasting them into Vegimite before they get into template range….. so use Spores or don’t bother.

At the moment I really can’t see me fielding them.

As a thought, you can use your Biovore models to represent this unit, and no-one is really going to argue.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Taking yes. Holding no.
- Killing enemy units: Yes, if they can get close enough.
- Apocalypse: Maybe. If your opponent play with plenty of non-vehicle models. Against mech’ they will be useless.
- Best used against: Orks, IG, Tyranids, Tau, Eldar or Dark Eldar.

Ymgarl Genestealers
These Stealers now give us the ability to be very fluffy, fielding them as Genestealers from the Vanguard Swarm.

Thankfully they have a better armour save than out standard Stealers.

The Doormant rule is very nice, but is of course, wasted if there’s no appropriately sized Area terrain on the battlefield; so always try to make sure there are quite a few pieces in play, preferably one in each quarter of the board.

In Assaults these bugs are much better than a standard Stealer, but can’t have any upgrades. However, they are not Troops, and for each Ymgarl you can get 1.6 normal Stealers.

The Alter Form rule is very nice indeed, and I can see me making these guys harder to Kill, more than giving them extra Kill power. This rule also helps when they Assault vehicles, significantly improving their chances to Penetrate.

Will I field them? In Apocalypse yes, in Standard games I doubt it; Hive Guard, Lictors and Zoanthropes will fill my slots. Frustratingly Doormant doesn’t count as Deep Strike, which would have made them very useful in Planetstrike games.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Taking yes. Holding no, as they have no ranged attack.

·
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TROOPS

Tyranid Warriors

At twice the cost of a Chaos marine, Tyranid Warriors certainly aren’t cheap. However, as Gaunts and now Genestealers die in their thousands, they give us a very tough, durable Troops option. As before, Warriors break down into Shooting units and Assault units.

As we have lost our protection from Instant Kill, our Warriors now fear S8+ weapons. As these weapons can hurt our Monstrous Creatures too, it is vital to destroy them as quickly as possible. Be afraid of Powerfists and other S8+ creatures.

From a shooting perspective, although the Devourer is o.k., the new Deathspitter looks like the best option, though the shortening of range by 6” is a real drag. The classic walking unit of Warriors with a Barbed Strangler or Venom Cannon, and the rest with Deathspitters still looks reasonable value. With a Barbed Strangler they are anti-T3 specialists; and with a Venom Cannon, they’ll be better at T4+ and capable of taking on vehicle armour 10 and 11. My choice for a Shooty squad would be to replace the Devourers with other shooting biomorphs and replace the Scything Talons with Rending Claws and one set of Boneswords.

If Warriors deploy in Mycetic Spores, there are two basic choices. Firstly, fielding them as close combat specialists where the Devourers are replaced with Rending Claws. This squad could Run after disembarking. Secondly, you could field them with their Devourers and give the Rending Claws or Boneswords. This squad could Run or shoot after disembarking. Adrenal Glands are a viable option for these units, making Warriors very nasty in close combat, capable of taking on enemies up to T6. With Glands they are able to Assault vehicles with 10 or 11 rear armour, and this is especially so for Warriors with Rending claws. Toxin Sacs are also a viable option. Though they don’t boost Initiative and are useless against vehicles.

Another viable upgrade for Warrior Assault squads, is to take one Lashwhip and Bonesword. This is most relevant against enemies with I4+ and is wasted on Powerfists and other low Initiative models. It is an expensive upgrade, and personally I don’t see me taking it in an All-Comers Tournament list.

Warrior Broods with no ranged weapons should not be used to Run across the board. They are too expensive to expose to 2-4 rounds of fire before they can Assault. Put them in Mycetic Spores.

If you have points spare, Warrior Broods in Mycetic Spores can benefit from a Tyranid Prime though this is a not a critical concept for their deployment.

As for Spinefists and extra Scything Talons, I really don’t see either of these as useful options for Warrior squads.

With their low number of Attacks compared to Wounds and cost, I really don’t think Glands or Sacs are worth taking. Equally all Boneswords or Swords and Whips is far too expensive to take for the number of Attacks. The nerfing of Rending will make a large difference too. Overall I don’t like the look of the new Warrior close combat broods.

With Deathspitters losing 6” of range, I don’t like the Shooty squads as much either. My Warrior squads were a critical part of my army in the last Codex, but look less likely to be as important. If you are fielding quite a few Monstrous Creatures, Warriors are much less likely to attract the attention of S8+ weapons, and will therefore be more viable.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Taking yes. Holding, yes for Shooty broods.
- Defending your Objectives: yes, for Shooty broods.
- Planetstrike Defender: Yes Shooty broods.
- Apocalypse: Maybe. This varies greatly on the enemy’s list and playing style. With the amount of S8+ pie plates, some of which ignore Cover, your Warriors may be an expensive mistake.
- Best used against: Orks, IG, Tyranids, Tau, Eldar and Dark Eldar – for close combat Warriors. Shooty Warriors are useful against anyone.

Hormagaunts
The loss of ‘Beasts’ is a severe blow to these guys and Bounding Leap does not make up for it. However, their base cost is 60% of that in the previous Codex. We also lost a point of WS and Ld, but gained +1 Initiative, and this is definitely a good trade off.

At first glance, putting 15+ of these little bugs in a Mycetic Spore looks very appealing, but there is a problem with this. In most situations they are much better with Synapse, so you need to have your Synapse cover well organised before you drop your bugs all over the battlefield. You could lead a Hormagaunt unit with a Tyranid Prime (with Boneswords), which will make a big difference to their Assault capabilities. Your opponent will really have to take note of this unit.

I don’t think either Adrenal Glands or Toxin Sacs are worth bothering with. I would rather have more bodies. The reason is that these guys die very quickly, and adding 33% to their cost does not make sense to me. If you are desperate to upgrade them, use Adrenal Glands vs. T3 armies and Toxin Sacs vs. T4 or in All Comer/Tournament lists.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Taking – maybe. Holding - no.
- Apocalypse: Maybe in vast numbers; but against the amount of mechanised, and pie plates, I doubt they’ll be much use.
- Best used against: Orks, IG, Witch Hunters, Tyranids, Tau, Eldar and Dark Eldar.

Termagaunts
The significant difference between the new Termagaunt and those in the previous Codex, is that we have lost Fleet, and Stranglewebs and Spike rifles have returned. They come with Fleshborers and are cheap.

As for their upgrades;
- Adrenal Glands. This is so tempting for its point cost. I will playtest using this, but have the feeling that I will learn not to take it for units deploying on board.
- Toxin Sacs. This is also so tempting for its point cost. I will playtest using this, but again have the feeling that I will learn not to take it for units deploying on board.
- Spinefist. I don’t think this is a better weapon than the Fleshborer. As it costs more, don’t go there.
- Spike Rifle: The longer range of this weapon certainly is tempting, and I think it might be a viable choice. I will try this out.
- Strangleweb: Against T3 armies with average leadership, this weapon is probably worth fielding. In an All Comers/Tournament list, I don’t think I would use it.
- Devourer: Nice weapon, but far too expensive to be given to these very fragile easy to kill bugs. Don’t go there.

Never be tempted to buy Adrenals and Toxin. These little bugs die far too easily to spend many points on them, and their primary job is shooting.

Remember that Termaguants have a special relationship with Tervigons; and this could allow you to field just Termaguants and Tervigons as your Troops choice.

Mycetic Spores: The Spore can carry a lot of Gaunts and drop them in the midst of your enemy, most importantly delivering your Troops to Objectives without walking across the board. A large unit of Termagaunts with Adrenals or Sacs + a Spore is a very viable option. I am definitely going to try this out. As I mentioned above, Gaunts are much better with Synapse cover.

Overall I like the new version of Termagaunts, and will definitely use them with Tervigon support.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Taking - as part of a combined attack. Holding – best with Spike Rifles, and must have Synapse.
- Defending your Objectives: Must have Synapse.
- Killing enemy units: As part of a combined effort.
- Planetstrike Defender: Best with Spike Rifles, and must have Synapse.
- Apocalypse: Maybe in vast numbers; but against the amount of mechanised, and pie plates, I doubt they’ll be much use.
- Best used against: Orks, IG, Tyranids, Tau, Eldar and Dark Eldar.

Genestealers
There are big changes in this Codex. Firstly, our Stealers can’t upgrade their Armour save and can’t have Feeder Tendrils. They have gained the ability to Outflank for free now, which is good plus for most games you’ll play; and the Broodlord has become a posh if expensive Sergeant for the Brood.

I’ll examine the Stealers first. With a poor armour save, this means that Bolters and other AP5 weapons kill Stealers. They will die too easily to shooting. So what are our options to get these guys into Assault with too many losses:
- Walking/Running across the board: This is obviously a very risky option, relying on cover saves. Of course, the ability to Infiltrate can help, but is not always a successful option. If your Stealers are close to the enemy than most of your other units, they will draw fire and be shot by the enemy with shorter range weapons.
- Outflank: if there are Objectives within two move/runs of both table edges, then this is a viable option, made even better if there is some cover to use en-route. Lictors and Hive Tyrants with Hive Commander help this option.
- Mycetic Spores: I think this choice is a viable option. When you land you will need to get the Brood into cover, or use the Spore as cover as you Disembark. Hive Tyrants with Hive Commander and especially Lictors help this option

Genestealer upgrades:
- Scything Talons: This no longer gives an extra Attack, but does slightly increase the getting Rending hits. For the points I really don’t think this is worth considering. I’d rather have more bodies than use this upgrade.
- Adrenal Glands: With a very high Initiative score already, and good strength, don’t bother with this unless you are using Stealers as an important of your anti-vehicle strategy. I wouldn’t bother.
- Toxin Sacs: Though nice, this is too expensive to use.

The Broodlord is expensive for a unit leader but is far tougher than most of them. Remember though that many MEQs get a Powerfist for 6pts less. Annoying you won’t get much advantage with its higher Toughness score, though it does make it much harder to Instant Kill. Both its Psychic powers are useful, with ‘Hypnotic Gaze’ very useful for taking out enemy Characters, HQ choices and squad leaders.

Broodlord upgrades:
- Scything Talons: Just take ‘em.
- Acid Blood: Total waste of point, just ignore it.
- Implant Attack: This is a nice power for a Broodlord, but as Stealers are too easy to kill, I wouldn’t take this unless I had a plan, and plenty of points spare.

Overall Stealers are as viable now as they have been since 5th ed rules came out. Compared with 4th edition Stealers from the previous Codex, they are poor. Are they worth their points now? Well they are cheaper than they used to be, so maybe. You need to know exactly how you intend to use Stealers, and how not to waste them – get a plan man. Time will tell whether the Broodlord is worth it or not. I am playtesting with it at the moment.

- Apocalypse: Outflankers and Spores, maybe.

Ripper Swarm Brood
Rippers now require Synapse cover. Don’t even consider using them without it.

Per Wound these little bugs cost 60% of a Termagaunt, and don’t need to worry about Morale tests. Therefore they can be used as screening troops for units which aren’t Monstrous Creatures

Though you can upgrade them I would never consider doing this. Save your precious points for you game winners. They can’t claim Objectives and this means that you should forget Deep Strike for them as well.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Useless
- Defending your Objectives: Useless
- Killing enemy units: As part of a combined attack. O.k. vs. T3 with 5+ Armour
- Apocalypse: No.
- Best used against: Anyone when used as a screen, otherwise only against Orks, IG, Tyranids, Tau, Eldar and Dark Eldar.

·
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FAST ATTACK

Sky-Slasher Swarm Brood
To survive long enough to achieve anything Sky-Slasher Swarms require Synapse cover. Don’t consider using them without it.

Per Wound these little bugs cost the same as a Termagaunt, and don’t need to worry about Morale tests. Therefore they can be used as screening troops for units which aren’t Monstrous Creatures. This is very useful for protecting your Shrikes, Parasite and upgraded Gargoyles.

Though you can upgrade them I would never consider doing this. Save your precious points for you game winners.

They can’t claim Objectives but can use Deep Strike to attack the enemy in his own deployment area. It would be best if they deployed or Ran into cover when they arrive, striking the turn after.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Taking – can help out. Holding – no.
- Killing enemy units: As part of a plan.
- Planetstrike Attacker: As part of a plan.
- Apocalypse: As screening troops.
- Best used against: Anyone when used as a screen, otherwise only against Orks, IG, Tyranids, Tau, Eldar and Dark Eldar.

Tyranid Shrike Broods
Shrike are Warriors with wings. They can be used in the following ways:

1. As shooting squads to move up quickly with a Barbed Strangler or Venom Cannon, and Deathspitters. This unit can apply early pressure, and can benefit from one a pair of Boneswords, allowing them to Assault targets of opportunity and defend well. Of course this means sacrificing one Deathspitter for the close combat advantage.

2. As Assault squads, armed with Scything Talons, Rending Claws, and 1-2 pairs of Boneswords or Lashwhip and Bonesword. Shrike Broods kitted out for Assault need to get into close combat as soon as possible, as they will be shot to pieces as quickly as your opponent is able. Adrenal Glands are a viable option for these units making them capable of taking on enemies up to T6 and able to Assault vehicles with 10 or 11 rear armour. Though they don’t boost Initiative, they are better against T1-2 and T6+, but useless against vehicles. Shrikes fear S8+ weapons, so be afraid of Powerfists and other S8+ creatures.

Shrikes are so vulnerable due to their poor Armour save. Use Cover whenever you can.

Shrike Assault Broods make a perfect bodyguard for the Parasite of Mortrex.

Shooty
- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Yes and Yes.
- Planetstrike Attacker: Maybe, based on the enemy list and style of play.
- Apocalypse: Maybe. They are very vulnerable to S8+ pie plates

Hitty
- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Yes and No.
- Apocalypse: Could be useful depending on what army and play style your opponent uses. They are very vulnerable to S8+ pie plates
- Best used against: Orks, IG, Tyranids, Tau, Eldar and Dark Eldar.

Raveners
Our Raveners are now cheaper than the pervious Codex. Their stat-line is almost identical to that Codex, and they are as effective as they where in it. Some of us love these guys, others ignore them. Yes they are fragile, and yes Rending is no longer mandatory, especially for its cost, but these bugs are fast. They are best used to ‘Lock’ high value enemy units who won’t trash you in close combat; and can also be used Assaulting, with another of you Nid Broods to destroy enemy units. Remember though, that they die horribly to most shooting and have poor Armour, so choose your fights carefully. Raveners fear S8+ weapons, so be afraid of Powerfists and other S8+ creatures.

It has been much debated in the past, whether Raveners should be given a Shooting attack. My view is that, because they are still quite fragile, in the past I’ve found shooting quite useful to reduce the enemy by 1-3 models before they charge. In this regard I would choose either Spinefists or Devourers. Leave the Deathspitters to our Warriors.

- Spinefists: have more shots, which will hit more times, have an AP, but have less Strength than Devourers.
- Devourers: have one less shot, which will hit less times than the Spinefists, have no AP, but are +1S better meaning they can Glance vehicle armour 10. They have 50% more range than the Spinefists.

When a single Ravaner shoots at standard marines
- Spinefist: 3 Hits, 1 Wound, 0.33 Kill
- Devourer: 1.5 Hits, 0.75 Wound, 0.24 Kill

Note that they can’t enter play through a Trygon’s tunnel. If you Deep Strike them, make sure you can get into cover. Lictor’s can really help their Deep Strike. A shooting attack is very useful if you Deep Strike Ravaners too.

Should you give Raveners Rending Claws? They have a lot of Attacks, and will sometimes get re-rolls from the Talons, so Rending is a viable option for them. Claws give the Raveners a slightly better chance when Assaulting vehicles. Use Rending vs. MEQs.

Overall I still like these Broods, and will still field them.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Taking - yes. Holding – not really.
- Apocalypse: Could be useful depending on what army and play style your opponent uses. They are very vulnerable to S8+ pie plates.
- Best used against: Anyone, but you probably need Rending vs. CSM, SM and Necrons

So… for close combat specialists do you want Raveners or Shrikes?

Shrikes get there faster but have problems as Area terrain can damage them. Shrikes are Synapse and can have Power weapons. Shrikes have Shadow of the Warp and can have Sacs and Glands.

Raveners have Fleet, +1A and +1 Initiative. Raveners have very poor Leadership so need Synapse help. If they ‘Feed’ they may not be able to use Cover properly. Raveners are 5pts cheaper but don’t have a gun.

Barring enemy S8+ hits, they both look good value for money. It’s a good job that MEQ armies have ditched their Missile Launching Havocs and Devastators. Having said that, if your opponent knows he’s playing Nids, they may see a return, as they are useful against our MCs. In tourneys I doubt you’ll see them much.

Overall it seems that they are quite well balanced, and that the plan for your army will define which to choose.

Gargoyles
In the past there has been much debate about the usefulness of Gargoyles. With their new cheap cost, I think they are much more viable. I really liked ‘em before this Codex so am very happy now.

If you are intending to have a fast army consisting of things like winged Tyrants, Raveners, and Shrikes, where Gargoyles are an important part of your army, then either the Adrenal Glands or Toxin Sacs will be worth taking. Glands maybe a better choice as their Venom ability partly covers the role of Toxin Sacs, and they have a chance to Glance vehicle armour 10.

What is amazing is that for +1pt they are Termagaunts with Wings and Blinding Venom! For 7pts when they Assault, you get an S4 I5 critter which auto-Wounds on 6s to Hit. If they are able to shoot before they assault, these guys should be able to take on many T2/3/4 units.

As they are very fragile, and will die all too easily, large units may be a good plan; maybe 16+ strong.

Like most small bugs, these guys need Synapse big time. Flying Tyrants, Shrikes and the Parasite spring to mind.

I intend to use my first unit of Gargoyles as a meat-shield for my Parasite of Mortrex, and will definitely be upgrading them with Adrenal Glands. I hope to buy a second box in the near future.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Taking – yes, especially as part of a combined effort. Holding – No.
- Planetstrike Attacker: I think they are cheap enough to be useful once your heavies have trashed the enemies defences.
- Apocalypse: Yes, because of their mobility and cheap cost. Don’t rely on them though.
- Best used against: Anyone. Use Glands if you want to be able to Assault CSMs, SMs or Necrons.

Harpies
Here we have expensive points model without an Invulnerable save, with a relatively low toughness, and very average armour save. It will die quickly to Heavy Bolters and anything heavier than them. Although it ignores armour saves in close and has an impressive Initiative trick, it has very few attacks. Used in combination with another Nid unit, it will make a valuable addition to close combat attacks. On its own, it’s very vulnerable in Assaults.

So why bother taking a Harpy. Its shooting attacks are capable of trashing units of T6 or less, and of penetrating vehicles with 10-11 armour.

Spore Mine Cysts is a nice power, but remember can only make two shooting attacks per phase, so when you use the Cysts you will have to ignore either the Strangethorn Cannon or the Stinger Salvo.

- Heavy Venom Canon: If you need fast mobile anti-tank, definitely take this.
- Stinger Salvo with Cluster Spines: I think this is a very good option for an Harpy without a Heavy Venom Cannon, as it works perfectly with the Strangethorn Cannon and Spore Mine Cysts.
- Adrenal Glands: It has nowhere near enough Attacks to merit buying this. Don’t go there.
- Toxic Sacs: Again it has nowhere near enough Attacks to merit buying this. Don’t go there.
- Regeneration: I don’t think this bug has a high enough Toughness or Wounds count to merit buying this.

Harpies with H.Venom Cannons could well give similarly armed Carnifexs a run for their money. The ‘fex is Tougher with better armour, but the Harpy is much more manoeuvrable and faster.

Overall, this Nid is worth trying out. Play test it before you build though, as they are going to cost plenty of money to make.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: No and No.
- Defending your Objectives: In a sense yes, because of its shooting power.

Spore Mine Clusters
I think that we shouldn’t be tempted by these little bugs. At first read you think, ‘yeah, area denial, and random craziness’. They are the easiest Kill Points in the game! Maybe you field a few if you have a few points left, or have run out of models you want to field in a Apocalypse games.

·
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HEAVY SUPPORT

Carnifexs

Oh well…. gone are our lovely cheap Elite Fexs. The new version has better BS, +2A, and re-rolls from Scything Talons, however the BS is only useful if you intend your Fexs to shoot.

Also gone are 2+ saves, +1W, +1T, Spine Banks, and Tusks, Tails etc. So my super heavy Fex don’t exist either. That just leaves Shooty Fex and Heavy Support Assault Fex (minus their tankiness)

The Fex’s very average Leadership means that you are like to ‘Feed’ at least once per game, so you can’t rely on staying in cover all game.

Personally I think that the new Carnifexs are over costed by 15pts. Having said that, if you choose to use Shooty Fex, their shooting upgrades are reasonably priced. I am not at all convinced that walking Assault Fex are worth considering now.

We can have multi-model Broods now, which I can see being useful occasionally. I have considered two in a Brood with Heavy Venom Cannons.

So what about Mycetic Spores. They limit the Brood size, but make an Assault Fex more viable; and are suitable for some versions of Shooty Fexs. This is similar in vibe to Drop Podded Dreadnaughts. The Spore will make handy cover when you Disembark too.

Carnifex upgrades
- Frag Spines: only suitable for an Assualt Fex with Glands
- Bio-Plasma: Viable for a Shooty Fex
- Crushing Claws: Unless your model already has Claws, I wouldn’t bother as the Fex are already expensive
- Adrenal Glands: only suitable for an Assualt Fex with Spines. Gives Instant Kill for T5 enemies
- Toxin Sacs: very nice for Assualt Fex, but unless you have many points spare, don’t bother
- Regeneration: Too expensive. I would not chose this unless I had a serious plan for Fexs

Here’s a few obvious builds:
- Shooty Anti-Tank/MC: Basic Fex with Heavy Venom Cannon - 185pts. Best suited to cover saves and walking.
- Shooty Anti-Infantry: Basic Fex with Stranglethorn Cannon and Deathspitter – 195pts. Best suited to cover saves and walking.
- Shooty Anti-Infantry/Light vehicle armour: Basic Fex with Stranglethorn Cannon and Devourer – 195pts. Suitable for walking or a Mycetic Spore.
- Shooty Anti-Infantry/Light vehicle armour: Basic Fex with 2x Devourer – 190pts. Best used in a Mycetic Spore.
- Shooty Anti-Infantry/Light vehicle armour: Basic Fex with Bio-Plasma and Devourer – 195pts. Best used in a Mycetic Spore.
- Assult: Frag Spines and Adrenal Glands – 175pts. Best used in a Mycetic Spore. Good at assaulting vehicles.

Remember that all of Brood must have same options.

I have four Fex and am not about to stop playing them. However, the two Elites are being converted to a Tervigon and a Tyrannofex (I’m so glad I hadn’t finished painting them). The two Heavies will be Heavy Venom Cannon shooters.

Because there are now so many Monstrous choices, the hits taken by Fexs is not so bad.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Yes and Yes for Shooty Fex..
- Defending your Objectives: Shooty Yes.
- Planetstrike Defender: Yes, Shooty Fex.
- Best used against: anyone.

Old One Eye
Simple this one. It’s a close combat machine (bio-machine?); but, it can’t have a Spore so has to Run at the enemy. Though its personal regeneration rule is nice, I’m not sure it has enough Wounds to make good use of it. Of course, it is a mother in close combat and can seriously trash vehicles; super heavies, Monoliths and Landraiders beware. Will it prove worth its high points cost. To be honest I’m not sure.

If you don’t own the model already I would definitely play test this before you buy or convert.

Biovores
At first I thought these guys are now what I always wanted them to be, and for a reasonable points cost too. They have a big problem though, i.e. a low Leadership score, and Lurk. If they Lurk they have to shoot at the nearest visible enemy, which can be a real pain, especially against vehicles, and those with high Toughness or Armour saves.

This means that to be effective, you need Synapse for them. So once again GW have screwed Biovores. Which Synapse unit will you dedicate to watch over a unit of Biovores……. erh…... none. Maybe in an Apocalypse game against an Ork tide you can have some Barbed Strangler Warriors look after them.

I like their ability to shoot without Line-of-Sight a lot, and like the Living Bomb rule too, but can see me fielding them mainly in Apocalypse games.

Make sure you deploy them in Area terrain whenever you can.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: No and No.
- Apocalypse: Possibly, depending on the enemy Codex and play style. They’ll be useless against mechanised enemies.
- Best used against: Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Guard and Tau.

Something which GW haven’t covered is whether Spores Mines shot by Biovores, which don’t explode and are therefore placed on the board, are units. If they are, they are easy Kill Points for the enemy, and can Contest. I think it would be better if they don’t count for either.

Trygon
This creature has one hell of a stat-line. It can Deep Strike or deploy as normal. If you intend to Deep Strike it, fielding a Lictor or Deathleaper can help, but is not essential.

Trygon tunnels sound like a good way to deploy, but there’s a simple problem. As you have to deploy units from Reserve as soon as you make a successful Reserve roll, you may have ‘infantry’ units ready to roll before the Trygon.
Using Lictors or Hive Commander can’t help this as they both apply to every Reserve roll.

So who can use the Tyrgon’s tunnels. Genestealers seem the obvious choice, as they can also Outflank. Remember though that they can’t Assault when they arrive from a tunnel, and don’t have any shootiness.

You could also use an infantry unit in Reserve with a Mycetic Spore. This Spore needs to be given a Barbed Strangler or Venom Cannon. If the infantry unit makes its Reserves roll before or on the same round as a the Trygon, it enters play using the Spore. Otherwise it can enter via the tunnels and the Spore can Deep Strike separately.

The language used in the codex (page 54) seems to allow this. Note that this is no different from a unit of Reserve SMurfs walking on board while their Razorback or Rhino enter somewhere else. The codex is very clear that the Spore is a separate unit (page 90).

If you can afford it, definitely upgrade to a Tyrgon Prime. As you can’t Assault the turn you arrive, you need a good shooting attack, and the Prime’s is much better. It also has a higher Leadership and provides Synapse support for nearby Nids.

Trygon Upgrades
- Adrenal Sacs: The increase in initiative could be very useful, and the increased Strength helps against T5, 6, 7, 8, 10, and against all vehicles. This is nice, but not a necessity. I would definitely choose it in Apocalypse games and Planetstrike when I am the Attacker.
- Toxin Sacs: Helps in most Assaults against non-vehicle units. This is also nice, but not a necessity.
- Regeneration: I think this is a must have biomorph for all Tyrgons, despite pushing up its points cost a lot.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Yes and Yes. The Prime is a better defender.
- Defending your Objectives: Prime yes, but it seems a waste.

Mawloc
Just because the Mawloc and Trygon use the same model does not make the Mawloc a Trygon. The Mawloc has a poor WS, no shooting attack and three less Attacks. As MCs go its WS is awful, and means that many enemies will hit it on 3s. As it can be wounded by S3+, this is not good. As usual with the bulk of our Nids, it has no Invulnerable save.

With a Leadership score one better than an average human, it may well fail an Instinctive Behaviour test, and charge headlong at the enemy. The problem with this, is that it has nowhere near enough Attacks to Assault on its own. It if loses a combat, it could easily take more Wounds from No Retreat, before it can Hit and Run away.

Terror from the Deep: As Terror from the Deep is the main reason for fielding a Mawloc, you need to get it in play as quickly as possible and therefore need a Lictor or Deathleaper, and should consider Hive Commander. This will be seriously deadly if for some reason, you have a Lictor to guide the Mawloc in. though this will not necessarily be an easy thing to achieve. Don’t rely on this to trash vehicles.

Accurate use of Terror might be able to move enemy units away from Objectives.

Burrow: Of course, this will keep the monster alive so you can Terror from the Deep the round after. However if you only get your Mawloc on round 4, there may not be a round 6. Most Apocalypse games I have seen have only lasted for five rounds, normally due to time restrictions and the fact that most games have too many points per side.

If you get your Mawloc on round 2, you can Burrow on 3, Deep Strike on 4; then Burrow on 5 and hope for round 6, or just Assault with it.

Upgrades
- Adrenal Sacs: The increase in initiative could be very useful, and the increased Strength helps against T5, 6, 7, 8, 10, and against all vehicles. This is nice, but definitely not a necessity. I would consider it in Apocalypse games.
- Toxin Sacs: Though this helps in most Assaults against non-vehicle units, the Mawloc does not have enough Attacks to warrant this. .
- Regeneration: I think this is a must have biomorph, despite pushing up its points cost a lot.

With the right support and a plan, a Mawloc could be deadly.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Taking – yes. Holding – no.
- Defending your Objectives: Yes – by destroying enemies holding them.
- Planetstrike Defender: Maybe. It could be useful for destroying enemy units.

Tyrannofex
It’s slow, can’t have a Spore, costs a zillion points, has no Invulnerable save and comes with short range shooting…… but I’m still going to field one.

Upgrades
- Adrenal Sacs: This is nice but don’t go there. This bug is already too expensive and needs to be shooting, not fighting melees.
- Toxin Sacs: Just don’t go there.
- Regeneration: I think this is a must have biomorph, despite pushing up its points cost a lot.
- Rupture Cannon: Well hell yes. Here’s some serious Ant-vehicle kit.
- Fleshborer Hive: It’s a pity that such a crazy weapon is beaten to a pulp by the Rupture. Leave it alone.
- Cluster Spines: These things are o.k. but I’m likely to stay with the Stinger Salvo. I think it fits better with the Rupture.
- Desiccator larvae: For no cost, I think this is better than the Grubs.
- Shreddershard Beetles: This is worth a try out too.

For me, the job of the Tryannofex is to hide in Cover and pop vehicles and MCs, made even better if it is sitting on an Objective too. Just give it the Cannon. You know you want to.

- Taking and Holding enemy Objectives: Yes to both if you really want to walk it across the board.

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
So much to read that I havn't even read anything :p

I think it is good in-depth article.

Remember that you can have the Mawloc on the table at the start of the game, burrow it and have a definate chance of it coming out on the second turn ;)

Maybe have a conclusion? It stops a bit suddenly.

+rep for sure

And a mod request for it to be stickeyed as well!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Another viable upgrade for Warrior Assault squads, is to take one Lash whip and Bonesword. This is most relevant against enemies with I4+ and is wasted on Powerfists and other low Initiative models. It is an expensive upgrade, and personally I don’t see me taking it in an All-Comers Tournament list.
...replace the Scything Talons with Rending Claws and one set of Boneswords
It should be noted that you must have every warrior in the squad with lash whips and boneswords, or just a pair of boneswords each. You can't have a single set of boneswords in a unit, nor can you take a Lash Whip and Bonesword set for a single warrior in a brood. Give a unit of Warriors boneswords and they will mess nobz squads and Ogyrns up like nobody's business, I run mine with Boneswords and devourers, they're usually my MVP.

·
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Chatawax, in regard to Warriors upgrading, although I can't directly quote the Codex, it does say that the whole brood must be upgraded, but it does not say that have to have the same weapons. There is a choice of three weapon upgrades, so as long as all your Warriors chose one of these three, this is what the codex demands of the brood.

In other Codexs it will sometimes say for example, up to 2 models may be given (or may replace their..with) ... then it gives a list of stuff, e.g. meltagun, plasmagun, flamer etc. This does not imply that both upgrades have to be the same; and I assume the same for Nids, unless it specifically states otherwise. For example, on page 91 of our Codexm see the shooting upgrades for Termangaunts which uses the words 'entire brood'.

I hope this helps explain my rational.

Hive Fleet Ruina - good note with the Mawloc.

Thanks - Lord Ramon

·
Registered
307 Posts
deathleaper also has the rule where to shoot him you use night fighting rules, but halve the result, so if i thinking right, the maximum shooting range of something shooting at it is only 18 inches (roll two 6's, times by 3= 36, 1/2 of 36=18)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Chatawax, in regard to Warriors upgrading, although I can't directly quote the Codex, it does say that the whole brood must be upgraded, but it does not say that have to have the same weapons. There is a choice of three weapon upgrades, so as long as all your Warriors chose one of these three, this is what the codex demands of the brood.

In other Codexs it will sometimes say for example, up to 2 models may be given (or may replace their..with) ... then it gives a list of stuff, e.g. meltagun, plasmagun, flamer etc. This does not imply that both upgrades have to be the same; and I assume the same for Nids, unless it specifically states otherwise. For example, on page 91 of our Codexm see the shooting upgrades for Termangaunts which uses the words 'entire brood'.

I hope this helps explain my rational.
The codex use the same wording for warriors and gaunts upgrades: "The whole brood can take..."

I don't know if it depends by the translation (ITA codex), but you can't take different upgrades for the warriors in a brood, as you can't for gaunts in a brood.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I was under the impression that this was the case, yes, since it seems to be designed to avoid the "Nob Bikers Exploit" in which you equip each model in the unit with different things so you can spread wounds around. Since Warriors have 3 wounds each, this becomes even more broken, since you'd have to inflicted 18 wounds on a 3 Warrior brood before the opponent would have to start taking models away. Given, you can still do this by giving one a Barbed Strangler and another a Venom Cannon, but they've obviously tried to minimize it as much as possible by making it (apparently at least) mandatory for all Warriors in a brood armed the same way. If what you say is true, you could potentially give one Warrior a LW/BS, another dual BSs, and another Rending Claws, and since they're equipped differently you could spread wounds around. Personally I reckon they'll redo the wound allocation system in 6th edition, since it's just too easily manipulated in this edition.

·
Registered
352 Posts
new sticky

Please make this a new sticky

...and for goodness sake remove the old stickys that no longer apply (basically all of them)

+Rep

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
First of all thanks very much for posting this, + rep

However i do have a tiny point that irks me a bit and its regarding paryoxism.

In the 4-5 games ive played so far thats been far and away the most useful power ive had on the tyrant and its really helped get the victory against all sorts of armys. Looking at it against psychic scream i really cant see the benefits that scream has over it, with so much fearlessness or Ld10 around i dont think your ever really going to get the most out of it. On the face of it, you wont get much use out of it against Orks, Crons, Csm, daemonhunters, other nids, and deamon lists, aswell as any mech you should come across.

Personal opinion, the only time id use it is in a list with loads of aura of despair broodlords, where you can lower the Ld repeatedy and then hit hard, but even thats going to be unreliable. Other than that its paryoxism all the way for me.

So what made you take scream over paryox?

·
Registered
350 Posts
However i do have a tiny point that irks me a bit and its regarding paryoxism.
I understand why he took psychic scream, but I've had good results with paroxysm myself and think I prefer it. Moved forward, still out of charge range with my tyrant, and I could see my friend's face light up when he realized I was going to be at the optimum range for his three crisis suits with plasma and missile pods. Then I hit the unit with paroxysm. When I told him what it did he seemed...upset.

Also, paroxysm has to be the most misspelled word in the new codex.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Guys

Is it only the tyrants new ability that can make the genestealers outflank or is there something im missing that allows them to do it as this awesome article suggest.

Thanks
Dom

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.