Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks all again for your advice on my 1k Guard list. I'm looking to maybe take it to 1.5k with some extra bits and pieces that Ive picked up. What I have now is this (based on previous comments):

HQ
CCS (4x Meltaguns) 90
Chimera (Multi-laser & heavy flamer) 55

Troops
PCS (4x Meltaguns) 70
10 Troops (Grenade Launcher, autocannon) 65

PCS (4x Meltaguns) 70

Fast Attack
Scout Sentinel (autocannon & Smoke Launcher) 45

Heavy Support
Leman Russ 150
Leman Russ 150

And then maybe adding:

Troops
Heavy Weapons (Mortar) 60
Upgrade Scout to Armoured Sentinel 20
[the plan being to have the 3 sets of Mortars on the gunline at the back]

HS
Leman Russ 150
Leman Russ 150
[deploying the Russes in 2 squads]

As before, any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I personally wouldnt take the PCSs with the melta guns. They are way to many points for a unit with only 4 shots per turn, hitting on average half the time. The PSCs could help bolster your heavy weapons. Personally I would give them an autocannon and 2 grenade launchers.

Drop the sentinel, you can almost field another GL - Autocannon squad for that price.

You have to many russes and not enough troops for a 1500 part game. Drop 2 russes and more troop choices, possibly some veterans with lascannons to assist with long range AT.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK - would it work keeping the initial 1k, then adding:

Heavy Weapons (Mortar) 60 60

10 Troops (Grenade Launcher, autocannon) 65 (made up from spare points and ditching the sentinel)

This would give me about 100 men + 15 HQ types (who are in transports)
9 mortars
2 Russes

and should leave me enough points for maybe a scout sentinel

·
Registered
24 Posts
I only own 3 x mortars and I usually use them on a situational basis ( Orks, Eldar etc) Nine might have a decent effect on infantry but you still might have some trouble dropping MEQs.

Take the scout sentinel if you want. If you really want to take it, consider giving it a heavy flamer and scouting it right beside an enemy squad and then locking them in combat. It could take a squad of marines a turn or two to kill it if they do not have power fists.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, point taken with the mortars. For 5 more points I can get 10 Guard with an autocannon and grenade launcher.
I havent tried the sentinel yet, but im always reluctant to play FA units as i can never use them right. I thought that they would maybe work at 1k as it could potentially be used to run down a flank and maybe act as a speedbump for anything non-PF.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I own two myself, barely ever use them though. Im thinking of including 2 in my 1500 point list simply because I want more autocannons. If you are playing a CC army they can be really useful in slowing them down. In the last codex I liked giving them CC weapons and charging right into combat.

Check out my 1500 Point list, Il post it

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
HQ
CCS (4x Meltaguns) 90
good.

Troops
PCS (4x Meltaguns) 70
good.

PCS (4x Meltaguns) 70
good.

Fast Attack
Scout Sentinel (autocannon & Smoke Launcher) 45
on its own will be shot to pieces...

Heavy Support
Leman Russ 150
Leman Russ 150
good

And then maybe adding:

Troops
drop for points.

Upgrade Scout to Armoured Sentinel 20
good.

HS
Leman Russ 150
Leman Russ 150
good, 3 russes should be enough though.

Lacks very much anti tank, I suggest maybe a couple of vendettas, fill them with flamer special weapon teams. You should also add 2 more autocannon/grenade launcher squads and then combine the squads in each platoon to make 2 30men squads.(adding comissiars for the staying power)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would it work if i maxed out on guardsmen rather than any more vehicles?
From a hobby point-of-view, I'd much rather paint a stack more men than any more vehicles.
For 500pts I could add another troop choice (PCS & 20 men) and then add 30 (maybe 40) more troops, to bring each platoon to 30 or so men.

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
First off, your 1000 point list is excellent. There is nothing there I would change, to be honest.

Your 500 point expansion is a bit lacking though. I can see the sense in adding some Mortars and if you like them, why not? They're a characterful and sometimes useful harassment unit. But don't bother upgrading the Sentinel to Armoured. At the end of the day it's still just a walking Autocannon, which you're paying 65 points for... For an extra 10 points you could have a Hydra, with 2 x Twin Linked Autocannons instead. Just let that sink in for a moment and re-think.

Four Leman Russes is a little overkill, especially since you will have to squadron them. I would stick to just three, maybe upgrade one to a Demolisher, and use the rest of the points for some more ranged fire support. Vendetta, Valkyrie or Hydra are all good choices at this point and will only serve to augment your army's capabilities.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
4 At the end of the day it's still just a walking Autocannon, which you're paying 65 points for... For an extra 10 points you could have a Hydra, with 2 x Twin Linked Autocannons instead. Just let that sink in for a moment and re-think.
It's a walking autocannon that won't take up a heavy support slot, and in a pinch can tie up the enemy in CC.

Hydras, nice, but the only similarity between the two are their weapons. Sentinels you should be more aggressive with. He's only got one, though, so there's very little point in it either way.

I'd drop the weapon squads, drop the meltas on the platoon squads, give the PCS a heavy bolter each. Upgrade the Russes to demolishers, add an infantry squad to each platoon like Son said, give them autocanons. The alternative is to not take the two extra squads, and instead pick up Vendettas.

If you're only running a single sentinel, you might as well drop that.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...then again, i have a Valkryie and 10 more Cadians lying around ready to paint, would my list work up to 1.2k if i added:
* FA: 1 Vendetta
* Troops: another 10 man squad as above (autocannon and grenade launcher)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts