Troop Squad - Lascannon, Grenade Launcher

Junior Officer - Bolt Pistol, ID
Mortar Squad

Heavy Support

2 Basilisk - Indirect

So ye, its a revised list 2 less troop choices, 1 less storm squad, added 2 techpriests

Makes the weapon count 10 Heavy Bolters, 10 Lascannons, and other stuff

Anyway tell me what you think....

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
Hmmmm, I can instnatly see a few things that I dont like.

Firstly techpriests, unless you are playing fluffy admech these guys arent that great, go for a heavy weapons squad of heavy bolters or two, deals more death.

Secondly a ridiculous number of lascannons. Personally the most I have ever use din a game is two and its never doen me any harm. the line squads shoudl be downgraded to missile launchers (this makes it easier on the squads deployment as well). Linked in with this dont put a special wepaon in the same squad as a lascannon, none of the special weapons complement them.

Whilst simple this army is lacking. It has low numbers for an infantry army (which it basically is for targetting purposes in game). an army with a decent chunk of medium armour and men would really do this army in. Yes you would take out the armour easily with your lascannons but the troops inside would be difficult to kill. Whereas if you had missile launchers they could be pressed into service against the infantry to lay down a barrage of templates when allied with the grenade launchers.

This may be a little biased as I see lascannons as way too overused and actually not really as good as other choices in the armoury.

What I would suggest is to drop the techpriests and make the lascannons into missile launchers, withthe saved points get some autocannon and plasma squads. These woudl fill the mid range gap that you have.

hope that helps

A

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm the heavy bolter squads would be support squads from Heavy slot hey? thats what 200 points for 6 heavy bolters (Jo included), same points almost but worse Sv and Bs hmm

I like playing alot of Lasses as the hunt HQ's and MC's nicely, and there good for safely popping tanks, and well its also cool against eldar air cavalry cause its higher odds of glances, so i mean there alot of uses for all the lasses even if i just munch 10 marines a turn i'd be happy with them (termies come to think of it), lots of uses for them that ML dont feature as effectively.

I dont see how the troops inside are hard to kill with 10 heavy bolters, and 2 basilisks *explain?*

I had considered grenade launchers as they can help the lasses against light armour (if in range) and against swarms, it was ideally to multi task the squad rather than compliment the lascannons.

I currently play 2 more troop squads with heavy bolters instead of the techmarines, but what i tended to find was A: the heavy bolters did nothing really (3 shots at BS3 Meh), B: I had trouble squeezing all the squads in comfortably (often ending up in a bunch).

Ye i dunno about the techmarines, they sound good in theory but i'll play test them before buying anything

Thanks for the views, they cover quite a few of my own worries

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
Fair enough. TBh most of it comes down to personal preference. As for the killing the things inside not sure what I was getting at there but it may be along the following lines,

The lascannons take down the vehicles then you want to take the infantry out, you have 4 squads to do that with. These squads are also fragile, the enemy will probably take one down in their shootinga nd achances are the other squad will be otherwise engaged. That leaves two squads which would have one target each. I am just thinking that it would be easy to take out a large element of your armies effectiveness.
E.G. a guard infantry army, they would kill the HB's asap and then they only really have to worry about your bassies. (deepstriking units? or perhaps you have thought of a tactical counter here).
or a guard mech army, they would refuse flank and pour fire into the heavy bolters again the lascannons would take out most transports but then infantry inside woudl run amok. I think the point here is really that you are sacrificing ablative wounds, the squads you are using are very points dense.
If used carefully I think it could do well I'm just a little skeptical at the mo!

hope that helps

A

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay sooo i thought about it on the blistery walk through london, and came up with a list around your suggestions tell me what ya think

HQ
JO - HSO , pwr weapon, bolt pistol, ID
Mortar Squad
Flag

2 x Special Weapons Supports - 3 Flamers

Elites
2 x 9 Veterans - 3 Plasma Guns
1 x 9 Veterans - 3 Melta Guns

Troops
Jo - pwr weapon, bolt pistol, ID
Mortar Squad

5 x Troop Squad - Grenade Launcher, Missile Launcher

Troops
Jo - pwr weapon, bolt pistol, ID
Mortar Squad

5 x Troop Squad - Grenade Launcher, Missile Launcher

What ya think

Obviously its with Drop Troop option, but mainly i like stand and shoots

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well ye that'd be ideal, but i gotta get two more troop boxes already, so i dont wanna pay for so many blisters, got 3 meltas, and 3 plasma already, so 3 more blisters gives me 6 of one and 3 of the other, just play around and see what i like.....

Otherwise? good idea? or bad idea. Its quite alot of weapons lost from the previous list but its much more dependable now i suppose

·
Registered
612 Posts
I don't buy blister packs. I convert flamers to look like plasma guns. Leave the backpack off, cut fuel hose until it connects to the flamer, (looks like a plasma containemnt flask), cut of the strap, shave the nozzle and clip of fire bit, and you can get a decent plasma gun conversion. Thats why I don't need to spend so much cash on blister packs!:D

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
you could also troll ebay for someone selling a bunch of plastic plasma guns off of sprues, then just replace some lasguns on guardsmen.

also, when you lay down these lists, could you add in what doctrines you're using so we can get a better picture of the direction you're taking your army in.

for a drop troop list, there's about two parts to divide your army into, the squads meant to form up once they land and hold ground against the enemy, and the other usually more interestingly vicious half comprised of your specialty suicide attack squads, aka your sw squads w/ demo charges, vets w/ plas/melt, cmd w/ flamers. that's almost 8 small vigilante squads right there.

then one last trick up the sleeve, remnant squads... a 5 man squad per infantry platoon you take, geared to almost nothing and meant for one thing... landing them out of the way, out of sight, and very hard to get out and get rid off... helping you claim open objectives/table quarters or make lost quarters end up contested... or even better, your opponent ends up having to divert a small portion of his force (a unit which is probably at least 3 times the cost of the remnant squad) to pull out of the fight and track down your remnants as they try to run away in the opposite direction.

shrug, hope any of that helps somewhat for ideas

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay so last attempt,

Doctrines: Close Order Drill
Drop Troops
Iron Discipline
Veterans
Special weapons squads

HQ
Jo with Hso, ID and Pwr Weapon
Master-Vox
Medic

Hides behind or inside terrain, and casts Vox on all the line squads for dependability, I have about 16 Points to play around with which i allocated to this squads survival, the medic is using it now.

2 x Special Weapon Squads - 3 Flamers, Demo Charge

Will drop in toss/torch, or torch/toss, they seem like a good troop muncher

Elites

3 x 5 Veterans - 3 Plasma

The Standard

Troops x 2

Jo + Guardsmen - 3 Melta's

Gotta get some AV14 tank hunting

5 x Troop Squads - Vox, Grenade Launcher, Missile Launcher

All gonna be LD 9 with ID, should be fine for the most part, lots of firepower with dependability

I'd love some ideas on what to do to make my HSO Squad more survivable with the points left.

Cheers :)

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
For your hq command squad, if they're just going to hide out of sight (which they should be if meant exclusively for the ld boost), you don't need that power weapon on him or the medic, since they should be incapable of getting shot/hurt.

to the same end, all a command squad is good for, in this case, is possessing a standard bearer and iron discipline. the ld9 that you're looking for with the Honorifica Imperialis, the Master-vox, and all the vox-casters (75pts altogether) is obtainable simply by upgrading your infantry squad sergeants to veteran sergeants (30pts). combine that ld8 with the close order drill you're utilizing anyways and they're all ld9.

just land one command squad in the middle of them (preferrably that hq one with a standard bearer for failed morale rerolls) and you've got that firebase you're looking for at a cheaper price.

i'd switch you're infantry command squads to flamers, meltas are overkill when you can deepstrike to the weak rear armor and at bs3, it's just easier to leave tank-hunting to the rapid-firing plasma veterans. flamers OTOH will compliment the special weapons squads with infantry torching.
otherwise, give them 3 plasma instead and a medic (who'll let you ignore one overheat death per turn) for tank-hunting/anti-meq.

also, your special weapons squads can only take 3 weapons total, so either 2 flamers and a demo, or 3 flamers.

shrug, some random suggestions to do with the extra points, maybe some heavy flamer sentinels dropping in too? or hardened fighters and die-hards thrown in somewhere. or heavy weapon support squads w/ or w/o sharpshooters to add to the firebase you're infantry squads will form.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay lol (keep making changes)

So how bout

Jo
4 Flamers

2 x Special Weapons Squads - 2 Flamers, Demo Charge

3 x 5 Vets - 3 Plasma

2 x Jo
3 Plasma, 1 Medic

10 x Infantry Squad
Vet Sarge - Bolter (spare points)
Grenade Launcher
Missile Launcher

Cod
DT
ID
Vets

Thankfully all i'd need would be 2 Boxes of troops, and Plasma (battlewagon) Not too exp about 50 quid *sigh*

I want this list to be more effective than my current list which is

1 x Jo - Hso, ID
Flag
Mortar

2 x Heavy Bolter Support - Sharpshooters

2 x Lascannon Support

2 x Jo with ID, mortar

6 x Troop Squads - 4 Lascannon, 2 Heavy Bolter

2 x Basilisk - Indirect

2 x Vet Squads 3 Plasma

I win lots of games with this list I have 2 Silvers from Tornes back in South Africa, and most casual games are a win for me, but I wanna have like an Uber list, so thats why i'm considering a change

I also made a hybrid between the too which would be a standard stand and shoot list

Jo - Hso, ID
Flagbearer

2 x Heavy Bolter Support - Sharpshooters

2 x Lascannon Supports

2 x Jo with Id

8 x Troop Squads
Grenade Launcher
Missile Launcher

2 x Bassies - indirect

Pick.... 1, 2 , or 3?

Oh and thanks for all the responses, i'm really bad at deciding, so your suggestions are a great help :p

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
TBH they are all good lists in their own right. and depending on opponent each one has its merits. What I would do is play test each of the lists and think of some criteria to rate them. Something like:

1. fun factor out of 5
2. reliability out of 5
3. strength against MEQ out of 5
4. strength against hordes out of 5

It would require play testing obviously but if you think of the play style of your regular opponents then try and counter that possibly. If it were me I'd collect all three armies and just have lots and lots of troops!

However if you were to push me I'd say,
1. Has the best ability to work when split up. seems to be a fairly hit and miss style, and may have trouble with top end armour such as land raiders etc. It is however balanced and has a good anti horde capability.
2. A fairly balanced list althought there are too many lascannons so a few line lascannons could be downgraded to missiles (id say two would do it) there are also no special weapons in the line heavy bolter squads which could be rectified with a decrease in lascannons. leadership is slightly fragile although not out of the ordinary.
3. A nice balanced list although the sharpshooters points would be better spent on a mortar for each of the platoon commands (I dont like bare squads!). This list is similar to what i play although i use chimeras and vets to replace the support squads.

hope that helps

A

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update on my lists I've played a few games and ended up going with a "changed" 3rd option list. I beaten all the opponents but they've had shoddy lists (or not cheesy anyway). So i'm waiting with baited breath for the Eldar list of Doom (Round 2)

Junior Officer - Iron Discipline
Flag Bearer
Mortar

Ld 8 with ID and re-roll, I feel that should be fine. No idea why i paid 25 extra points for 1 Ld, rather added more guns

2 x Heavy Bolter Support Squad - with Sharpshooters

Whenever I play a swarm or even meq opponent with half a brain, these guys take a lotta flak, And so they should, cause there just awesome (usually put them in 4+ terrain if i can help it)

2 x Lascannon Support Squad

Again tend to get shot at alot, but they are rather crucial to the MC and to a lesser extent the tank hunting. (4+ Cover as well if i can)

Troop Platoon
Mortar

2 x Autocannon + Plasma Gun Squads
2 x Missile Launcher + Grenade Launcher Squads

Troop Platoon
Mortar

2 x Autocannon + Plasma Gun Squads
2 x Missile Launcher + Grenade Launcher Squads

The JO takes benefit of CoD to make himself Ld9, Other than that theres a good mix of weapons, tends to be the staying power of my list, I HATE deloying these, "le sigh"

2 x Basilisk - Indirect Fire

No comment

Its an awesome list to play with once its out on the field, but its an aweful list to deploy (I am working on this though, gonna paint diff squads helmets diff colors should speed up the process;Y

Marvel at its coolnessness (j/k)

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
I actually cant see anything wrong with this list at all!

What I might suggest is to swap the special weapons of the second platoon around (ie. autocannon grenade and missile plasma). this might add a little more flexibility but I'm not sure.

Just remember when you hit a falcon or something just stun it dont bother going for the complete kill straight away. A tip I picked up on here actually!

Good luck

A

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.