Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I understand how this rule works, but as I understand it, a failed leadership test after losing a single model results in the squad fleeing 2d6 inches? While they autoregroup it isn't a terrible problem, but it seems a bit odd that the two possible outcomes of losing a single comrade are either charging forward (reasonable) or easily breaking and running away. Am I misinterpreting this?

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
I think I understand how this rule works, but as I understand it, a failed leadership test after losing a single model results in the squad fleeing 2d6 inches? While they autoregroup it isn't a terrible problem, but it seems a bit odd that the two possible outcomes of losing a single comrade are either charging forward (reasonable) or easily breaking and running away. Am I misinterpreting this?
No... you've got it. That's why I advise taking a Chaplain in your Crusader Squads so that they don't get scared after the death of a single Scout and run off the board.

Katie D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am wondering if it is better to use a Mashall instead of a Chaplain, as it provides all squads with ld 10 to make these tests. I know Chaplains are wonderful h2h packages with the invulnerable save, the power weapon and the litanies, but I imagine Righteous Zeal is a real double-edged sword and something that you want to take care of by assuring your Crusader squads have better than ld 8 to take these (probably frequent) tests on. I guess it is the only way they could work this rule into the game mechanic, but it does strike me as a little odd that it'd make your religious fanatic squad of genetically-enhanced, ruthlessly conditioned psychopaths run away after one single casualty.

Oh, and is the EC allowed to join, say, a Crusader squad? The rulebook prohibits him specifically from leading or joining command squads - but I am wondering if this is an oversight and it is really meant he is ALWAYS an IC.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
I am wondering if it is better to use a Mashall instead of a Chaplain, as it provides all squads with ld 10 to make these tests. I know Chaplains are wonderful h2h packages with the invulnerable save, the power weapon and the litanies, but I imagine Righteous Zeal is a real double-edged sword and something that you want to take care of by assuring your Crusader squads have better than ld 8 to take these (probably frequent) tests on. I guess it is the only way they could work this rule into the game mechanic, but it does strike me as a little odd that it'd make your religious fanatic squad of genetically-enhanced, ruthlessly conditioned psychopaths run away after one single casualty.
Taking a pair of Chaplains and adding them into your two largest Crusader Squads often does the trick nicely.

Oh, and is the EC allowed to join, say, a Crusader squad? The rulebook prohibits him specifically from leading or joining command squads - but I am wondering if this is an oversight and it is really meant he is ALWAYS an IC.
He can join Crusader Squads without a problem.

Katie D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that makes sense. Since my army plan (for 500-1000pts at least) is to have two big Crusader Squads, I could have one led by a chaplain and one led by the EC (at 1000pts.) Am I overworried about the risk of losing those morale checks and having my righteous advance be stalled?

·
655 Posts
Yeah slightly. Thing is most people realise that you dont actually have to use Zeal when yo dont want to. But it is nice sometimes with big squads.
Right... but to clarify: you always need to take the test after a single casualty. The volatility of squads counteracts the advantages of being able to move forward.

However, if you pass, you basically make a righteous zeal move (treated exactly like a massacre move) towards the nearest enemy unit - and reading carefully, this allows you to move up to d6" (not necessarily the whole distance).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess it does need some risk to counteract the advantage of Marines with fleet, basically, but still - religious psychopaths don't strike me as those to retreat after one death, haha.

Another black templarish sort of question: is it advisable to equip some marines with boltguns, or should I put all my eggs in one basket and equip them all with bolt pistols and chainswords? I want to do a mass infantry (read: practically no vehicles) army, rushing to deliver mass CC.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I guess it does need some risk to counteract the advantage of Marines with fleet, basically, but still - religious psychopaths don't strike me as those to retreat after one death, haha.

Another black templarish sort of question: is it advisable to equip some marines with boltguns, or should I put all my eggs in one basket and equip them all with bolt pistols and chainswords? I want to do a mass infantry (read: practically no vehicles) army, rushing to deliver mass CC.

You should take a nice small squad with a heavy weapon and bolters, they make for a nice tidy threat for any oppenent to avoid and they are cheap. I'd go with mostly CCW's though, as thats what the black templars excell at, especially with the help of a chaplian or the emperor's champion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.