Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i have just started playing 40k and Tyranids are my 1st and only army so far. As far as i have read, this has not been covered about rippers. I know there is no set amount on how many rippers on a base, but the minimum should be three to follow the base stats. So my first question is can you increase the attacks, or the wounds, or both depending on how many rippers on on the base. +1 wound and +1attack per 1 ripper.

Ex: 3 rippers per base with a minimum of 4 bases in a brood equals 9 attacks and 9 wounds total

Possible ex: 4 rippers per base with a minimum of 3 bases in a brood equals 12 attacks and 12 wounds total.

Another question is, do you subtract the attacks on a ripper base depending on how many wounds they have left?

Ex: You have a ripper base with 3 rippers and it losses a wound. With only 2 wounds remaining they only have 2 attacks.

Idk it just makes sense to me and my friends. Maybe they should add that to the new codex ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
HaHa no that changes nothing, other people just do that to make it look cool.

No offence but that is not a very smart thought because then some people could put hundreds of them on their base ( trust me if theres a will theres a way in 40k ) so if someone could have an invincible pile of ripper swarms running around making sure alot of units couldnt fight and that would make the nids a VeRY VERY cheap army:soldier:

hope i helped

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Coney hit the nail on the head, rippers do not get weaker as they die, in fact to my knowlege nothing in 40k does.

If you want a reason why the attacks stay the same, then say surviving rippers get reallly really angry? :soldier:

Be aware though, some if your group belive thats how the rule works, they may think your being a bit cheesy if you suddenly switch how you play it. But your in the right, so ignore anyone who says otherwise or complains :dance:

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
If we're busy with Rippers anyways.

This question got answered a couple of years ago as well, but for the people who have forgotten it (like me) and maybe the new guys, I want to ask how people model the ripper upgrades...

Cuz I tend to put at least leaping on them, which I just represent with having more of the jumpy looking rippers then the non jumpy ones. But how do people represent TS and maybe even AG?

Since the TS are nice to take on slightly tougher stuff and the AG I used a couple of days ago due to some spare points:p

So bring it people share your ideas (once again).

Remember this is not a question on how to field your rippers but on how to build your rippers.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
These are fairly easy to do, when i made mine, i simply attached a guant toxin sacs to the back of rippers. As for the AG, i either say the sac is one and the same, or i use something i paint on to my rippers. Scince i always planned to use them as TS i painted the little groves in a colour that stiid out from the main skin, to show it as some sort of stimulant. No oe has a problem and it saves the model looking clutterd.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
Check:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey everyone, i have just started playing 40k and Tyranids are my 1st and only army so far. As far as i have read, this has not been covered about rippers. I know there is no set amount on how many rippers on a base, but the minimum should be three to follow the base stats. So my first question is can you increase the attacks, or the wounds, or both depending on how many rippers on on the base. +1 wound and +1attack per 1 ripper.

Ex: 3 rippers per base with a minimum of 4 bases in a brood equals 9 attacks and 9 wounds total

Possible ex: 4 rippers per base with a minimum of 3 bases in a brood equals 12 attacks and 12 wounds total.

Another question is, do you subtract the attacks on a ripper base depending on how many wounds they have left?

Ex: You have a ripper base with 3 rippers and it losses a wound. With only 2 wounds remaining they only have 2 attacks.

Idk it just makes sense to me and my friends. Maybe they should add that to the new codex ;)
I'm sorry ,but the amount of models on the base DOES NOT AFFECT THE STATS, you could put 20 ripper models on the one base, and you would still only have the stats stated in the codex. There are other rules for rippers, but these are completely different to those in Codex: Tyranids, these are available in one of the books from Forgeworld, if memory serves, they are in Imperial Armour Vol 4, this also has rules for heaps of other units, like the Harridan, Bio-Titan, etc. I know the rules for the are in the Apocalypse, but that means those units are only available in Apocalypse games, a friend of mine has Vol 1, which has extra Imperial Guard units. The Imperial Armour books allow units that cannot be used in normal games, to be fielded in said games.

Like the amount of models on the base, the amount of wounds DOES NOT AFFECT the attacks made by the unit.

I seriously recommend that you consider getting a copy of the Tyranid orientated Imperial Armour book, although it has Tau and Imperial Guard units in it, it WILL have a significant affect on the armies you will then be able to field, but instead of hastily ordering it immediately, wait until the new edition of Codex: Tyranids to be released in the new year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If we're busy with Rippers anyways.

This question got answered a couple of years ago as well, but for the people who have forgotten it (like me) and maybe the new guys, I want to ask how people model the ripper upgrades...

Cuz I tend to put at least leaping on them, which I just represent with having more of the jumpy looking rippers then the non jumpy ones. But how do people represent TS and maybe even AG?

Since the TS are nice to take on slightly tougher stuff and the AG I used a couple of days ago due to some spare points:p

So bring it people share your ideas (once again).

Remember this is not a question on how to field your rippers but on how to build your rippers.
I would say, just use globs of purposefully shaped Green Stuff, simple and its a constructive way to use whatever dregs of GS you have layin about :)

·
650 Posts
Toxic sacs and adrenal glands can just as well be internal and are not necessary to model. I think the only thing with rippers you would need to model was if they can still take wings.

·
Registered
113 Posts
it is? Sorry, I haven't been online for ages, and this thread was on the top of the Tyranids forum thingy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts