Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a bit of a problem. I need a large section of rolling steel door. Normally, I'd do something with cardboard but for structural reasons and simply because I don't think the effect of corrugated-cardboard steel would look right scaled, I think I'm going to have to go with plastic or metal on this. I need a strip 4.5 inches wide and around a foot long. Large slats like you'd find if an airplane hanger. Does anyone know a source for this, or have an alternative suggestion?

I'm looking through the plastruct catalog, but I've never ordered from them before and am a little uncertain as yet on what scale is right for WH40k.

This is a large garage/base station piece with a bit of fortified area around it. It's eventually going to be mounted to about 2' by 2' with a bit of perimeter defense and such around it, very cool in my mind's eye on and paper (but isn't everything? ;)). Sorry I don't have pictures but when it's done if it looks alright (and probably even if it doesn't!) I'll beg/borrow/steal digital from someone and snap a few shots. Thanks ahead of time for any pointers or sources!

Oh, happy holidays everyone :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hitting a craft store today on my way in. I'll toy with a side sliding door (as the interior doesn't need to be accessible (the area around it is the terrain focus rather than the interior). Thing is the opening is longer vertically than it is horizontally, so a side sliding door like that might look off. Oooh...maybe sectional? The front of the building with a side sliding door, and the 'roof' with a sort of rolling or sliding skylight type of door? Hrm... That would actually help with the playability of the model, too, as I could have the roof closed and the front open, so you could fit some models in it without me having to worry over much about the detailing.

It's large enough that a dread or speeder would be serviced in it, maybe provide some yard working room for larger vehicles (with tools and parts in the building). Yeah, I think the combi-door would be best now that I think about it. Sliding doors on the front in a more traditional style, and...well, whichever looks better on the roof.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the door doesn't have to be functional, I probably won't put the effort into a tilt door. I do think the roof will end up like the sectional door, though. Huge help, mucho rep-o :)

·
179 Posts
My first thought was also moulded styrene sheet. But a cheaper alternative might be the corrugated paper/plastic that you get at the top of a chocolate box? You could make a loved one happy, or just enjoy the choccies yourself.
Whatever you build, you might find it easier to do it in sections that roll past each other (not in the model, but build to look that way.) This would mean that instead of one 30 cm length, you have three 10 cm lengths, each one set slightly back, and long styrene strips on the ground to look like the tracks the doors slide on. A bit like some shower doors, maybe.
Cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.