Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Having been away for a long time from the game I need to refresh my skills on the rules. I've read the old book I already have trough (6 ed). I seem to remember some rule that sorceresses don't carry armour. But I can't find it anywhere... (I get that she can use ward saves)

1) So how may I armour my sorceress magically or unmagically?

I also think I have read somewhere about additional weapons on a character that uses a magical weapon, but I can't seem to remember. Let's say I equip my Master with a beastmasters scourge, and then equip him also with an additional weapon. Does that extra weapon also count as a beastmasters scourge?

2) Does an additional weapon get the same qualities of the first weapon?

Further, if I equip a master with two weapons, can I give him two magical weapons?
Like sword of might and sword of biting? And how many points will this add up to?
Should I withdraw points for the additional hand weapon weapon (4p) or add these 4p to the value of the magical weapon?

3) Can a hero carry two magical weapons by using an additional weapon?
4) If I may: How do I count the points on such a combo?

Thx for your answers/thoughts.

//DarkMage

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1) Answered - Sorceresses may use armour

Ok. Got an answer for 1). I may equip my sorceress with armour if it is allowed on the character. I guess my notion came from some roleplaying game where armour negated the possibility to cast spells..

·
Son of LO
4,630 Posts
Hi all!

Having been away for a long time from the game I need to refresh my skills on the rules. I've read the old book I already have trough (6 ed). I seem to remember some rule that sorceresses don't carry armour. But I can't find it anywhere... (I get that she can use ward saves)

I also think I have read somewhere about additional weapons on a character that uses a magical weapon, but I can't seem to remember. Let's say I equip my Master with a beastmasters scourge, and then equip him also with an additional weapon. Does that extra weapon also count as a beastmasters scourge?

Further, if I equip a master with two weapons, can I give him two magical weapons?
Like sword of might and sword of biting? And how many points will this add up to?
Should I withdraw points for the additional hand weapon weapon (4p) or add these 4p to the value of the magical weapon?

4) If I may: How do I count the points on such a combo?

Thx for your answers/thoughts.

//DarkMage
1- Unless specified in the unit entry, a caster cannot wear armour, has it will negate thier casting capabilities (this comes from the DnD trend)

-2 A model that can purchase, and comes equiped with *an additional hand weapon* simply adds an additional attack to is profile. This does not apply to mounted models, nor to characters wielding magical weapons (unless specified by a special rule, like a unnamed dark elf one). These situations forfeit the bonus.

-3 No. Regardless of point costs and limitations, a character cannot chose more than 1 item per archtype. 1 magical weapon, 1 magical armour, 1 enchanted item, and so fort. Using a magical weapon will forfeit the additional hand weapon bonus, as stated above.

-4 Cannot be done, refer above.

Sidenote: an additional hand weapon is a mundane on it's own right, but the ability to purchase another.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
the ability to cast in armor depends upon whether the character can take armor in the first place. IN several books there are armors specifically designed for wizards/mages etc. So there is no problem with wearing armor and casting spells. the problem lies, in that normally, a wizard/mage cannot take mundane armor, so they can't select magic armor either. Everyone comes with a hand weapon, so mages can always take a magical weapon, but are usually limited in other magical items.

You should really get a 7th edition rulebook at some point because there are subtle differences in the rules. If you're just playing with friends and you're all using 6th edition you might be able to get away with it, but with half of the armies having 7th specific army books now you're going to run into more serious discrepancies. If you had read the 7th edition rule book, you wouldn't have had to ask any of these questions because the answers are already there in the rules.

·
...or is it?
953 Posts
With ard saves..you certainly can't give her mundane armour as the options don't mention it, and your magic options for sorceresses 'do not include magic armour.' However, if she can wear armour, she cannot cast spells which kind of defies the whole point of the scorceress.

No.

It's just a hand weapon! If it had the qualities of the first weapon it would have the points cost of the first weapon.

Like sword of might and sword of biting?
Yes.

And how many points will this add up to?Should I withdraw points for the additional hand weapon weapon (4p) or add these 4p to the value of the magical weapon?
See above.

I think he can carry two magical weapons (unless one or more are two-handed weapons) but an addititional hand wepon is just that: a hand weapon.

Attila

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regarding two magical weapons on one hero

Hi.

Seems Atilla... and Wolf_Pack disagree. Who is most confident?

Thx, DM.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Direct quotes from rulebook:
"No character can carry more than one maic item." and "A charater that has a magic close combat weapon cannot use any other close combat weapons, although it can carry a shield as normal."

·
stupidity just kicked in!
812 Posts
Oh my... I have to criticize Attila for not knowing the rules at all. If you play with any house rules that's fine, but if you're going to help you have to reply with the official rules.

Attila the Hun Jrs answer: With ard saves..you certainly can't give her mundane armour as the options don't mention it, and your magic options for sorceresses 'do not include magic armour.' However, if she can wear armour, she cannot cast spells which kind of defies the whole point of the scorceress.

My response: It says clearly in the BRB p. 121
A character that is not allowed to wear ordinary armour cannot be given magic armour/helms (unless differently specified in the Army Book)
. So no you can't give her armour no matter how hard you try. It's against the rules.

Question: I also think I have read somewhere about additional weapons on a character that uses a magical weapon, but I can't seem to remember. Let's say I equip my Master with a beastmasters scourge, and then equip him also with an additional weapon. Does that extra weapon also count as a beastmasters scourge?

Attila the Hun Jrs answer: No.

My response: Read p58 in the army book. Under Beastmaster's Scourge.
Hand weapon. In addition, all the wielder's close combat attacks are Armour Piercing.
. If that isn't a reason for you then read p.56 in BRB under Hand Weapons, Fighting with two hand weapons.
This could include a sword in each hand, an axe and sword, or any combination of hand weapons.

If a warrior on foot fights with a hand weapon in each hand, he receives +1 extra Attack to account for his second weapon.
So Beastmaster's Scourge affects all attacks and a second hand weapon counts for +1 attack in a models characteristic we can come to an easy conclusion of that it in fact gains Armour Piercing special rule.

Attila the Hun Jrs answer: It's just a hand weapon! If it had the qualities of the first weapon it would have the points cost of the first weapon.

My response: My explanation is obvious above. But you all have to remember that an extra attack is only given if two hand weapons are wield and the model must be on foot.

Attila the Hun Jrs answer: Yes.

My response: Read BRB p. 120.
A character can only have one magic item of each type (weapon, armour, etc), unless otherwise indicated
I though that the rules couldn't be more specific. No you can't have two magic weapons on the same model.

Attila the Hun Jrs answer: See above.

My response: yeah read my above statement.

Attila the Hun Jrs answer: I think he can carry two magical weapons (unless one or more are two-handed weapons) but an additional hand weapon is just that: a hand weapon.

My response: Read in BRB p. 121 under Magic Weapons
A character that has a magic close combat weapon cannot use any other combat weapons, although it can carry a shield as normal. No character can carry more than one magic weapon. Magic weapons always ignore any special rules that apply to an ordinary weapon of the same type unless otherwise specified in the description of the weapon.
So in that paragraph it says that a magic weapon can't be used with any other weapon and they always ignore special rules of ordinary weapons. So even if a sword normally is a hand weapon and can benefit of the additional hand weapon special rule a magic one does not benefit from that.

Seriously get a rulebook it's not that expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Final post

Hi all.

Thx for all your input. I really appreciate your last thourough and guiding answer on this question Zhaf! (have already given you rep, so I could not give you more this time... But I'll remember)

And Attila, thx for the effort, even if you happened to be wrong this time I do appreciate taking the time to help me out.

Best Regards, DarkMage

1 - 13 of 13 Posts