Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So simple question is it "legal" in warhammer games to direct a shot at an enemy unit and purposefully over guess or under guess the range with the hope to hit something out of sight or in trees?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well depending on who you believe, the problem (if indeed that is the correct word) is only likely to get worse because GW seems to be eliminating partial hits from such weapons. That being the case, such tactics are only going to become even more viable (and prevalant) than they have been previously.

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
You're trying to hit a particular unit. If you're overguessing, you're not playing the game, you're playing the system.

It would not be unreasonable for your opponent to ask you to guess again if you're doing it blatantly.

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
Not to mention your firing at a unit you cannot see, that is against the rules in every way. If you'd hit it by accident its arguable, but if you shoot on target for 2 turns and then overshoot 30" to hit the next unit, the other player will see your not playing straight.

In the cannon rules its simply stated that this is against the rules (you have to see your target and you have to guess as accurate as possible). in the catapult rules the wording is different and that makes it a bit dodgy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The remedy to this sort of behaviour is simple.

If they continue to play like that then they lose one opponent until they mend their ways.

It's a game - there are things in life that are important - playing with little men isn't one of them.

·
764 Posts
Hopefully they will get rid of the "guess" part of the weapons in 8th. Just choose a target unit and roll scatter and artillery dice. As for now I let it go in game. I don't want to have to consider if my opponent is trying to cheat or is just a lousy guesser. I would venture to speculate that most of the time it is the first but it is not worth the aggravation to bring it up in game. If it is something that happens repeatedly then that player will have lost an opponent until their behavior changes.

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
Hopefully they will get rid of the "guess" part of the weapons in 8th. Just choose a target unit and roll scatter and artillery dice. As for now I let it go in game. I don't want to have to consider if my opponent is trying to cheat or is just a lousy guesser. I would venture to speculate that most of the time it is the first but it is not worth the aggravation to bring it up in game. If it is something that happens repeatedly then that player will have lost an opponent until their behavior changes.
But guess weapons are so much fun! Don't steal my fun because of poor sportsmen!

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
last battle i had 2 doomdivers and 2 rlobbers, every guess was right on target and when it hit i had this twist in my stomach as if i wasnt playing straight. You could just see the annoyance in my opponent's face...

do you have that aswell?

·
764 Posts
But guess weapons are so much fun! Don't steal my fun because of poor sportsmen!
I just don't see the advantage of guessing distance as opposed to just nominating a unit. Unless it is being used to guess wrong on purpose in order to hit a different target. What is better about guessing vs. choosing?

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
What is better about guessing vs. choosing?
Guessing makes it harder for new-comers :p It's something you must learn and then practise a few times before you nail it, which makes it some sort of a "skill check". Just like charges, it will give you a perspective of range and the weight of being able to meassure distances. By choosing, I think it will turn into a lazy and lame part of the game :)

//Nagash

·
859 Posts
I'm dyspraxic so find guessing distances absolutely appalling, I also have visual difficulty with depth perception alongside that.

I'm going to have a whale of a time when my SSC is assembled :victory:

I may be one of the few players that finds Bone Giants more reliable :dance: They look cuddly anyway!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I love guess weaponry, it let's you shoot unit you can't see. I'm joking.
The idea behind it is that artillerly isn't exact. You use your best guess and estimation to lob an object into the air to land it as close as possible target.
In honesty, over shooting may be a more accurate strategy. While you are aiming for the unit you can see, you really want your flaming skulls to fall deep into the heart of the enemies army.
As for eye balling a distance, not as important as you think. My prefered method is more math based. Just don't forget that you don't want to hit the first rank. Add 3/4" per rank to smack the middle. I do tend to forget, and have an uncanny ability to drop right on the first rank. 33% chance to scatter wrong direction and another 33% chance to waste half my template *sigh*

·
764 Posts
Guessing makes it harder for new-comers
So the reasons for having guess weapons vs. choosing a target with artillery are:

1) They make it possible for you to hit something you are not supposed to be able to hit by the rules.

2) They give a good/experienced player an advantage over a new/worse player.

So far I am not seeing the good points.

The idea behind it is that artillery isn't exact.
Rolling the artillery and scatter dice accomplishes the same thing. Guessing distance just makes the weapon doubly inaccurate.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The point that makes it fun is that it is just really fun to guess, plain and simple. If you get a perfect guess and you notice it lands right on the head of a lord/hero or a soldier in the middle of a unit you get really excited. Also your enemy is in terror now.

Taking that part out would be taking out, to me, a highlight of excitement in the game. There would be no getting the lord directly under the template since If the rules change, I figure the template would cover the middle part of the unit, then it would scatter. Direct hits only kill a mere 10points or w.e unless you get a very lucky and unlikely rule of 2inches towards the lord, but that still might not give you the str 8 you need.

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
Its also worth noting that guess range artillery tends to be the only kind with templates and regularly feature ignores saves attacks. the guess is tricky, but it makes it worth while ;)

·
859 Posts
Artillery doesn't have a direct line of sight - as in with a bow, you look down along it, with a cannon you can't really straddle it to get a better idea :p Guesswork is involved in some way or another, it's an inexact science for the period of technology open in the fantasy setting. If you don't want guesswork in your army - don't use weapons where you have to guess :p generally if guesswork is involved, the rewards are greater. Earn it! ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.