Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I know we have a Rumor section, but it's mostly for GW stuff. This seems like it should stay in the PP section, which is why I put 'Rumor' in the thread title.)

I was speaking with the manager of my FLGS and he had said that he was told "following Warmachine: Legends and Hordes: Metamorphosis the subsequent major release would be the combining of the two games into one overarching game with nine armies." (The four Hordes, the four Warmachine factions, plus the Mercs.)

I know how trustworthy the word of store managers is, so I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

Has anyone else heard of such a project? It makes sense to do so, seeing as the factions in the games regularly interact and their storylines are completely interwoven.

Indeed, though, there would be a lot of work to do on PP's part to get the Hordes to balance against the Warmachine armies.

Would this be the Warmachine v.2 that many of us have hoped for?

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well they're *kinda* balanced against one another already and quite a few of the basic rules, like moving and attacking, are more or less identical anyway.

Focus vs. Fury would stay as it is, I would imagine.

My concern is the balance between opening game, when Hordes are stronger, compared to endgame when dead Warbeasts mean the Warlock has no ammo left and the Warmachine armies take over?

I assume that would all be worked out.

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
Eh, the games are identical anyway.

All the rules that apply to everything are exactly the same in both games. The only major difference is between Warlocks and Warcasters, Warbeasts and Warjacks. This isn't really an issue. It's clear which units use the Fury rules (i.e. Warlocks, Warbeasts, and those models which specifically refer to fury, such as the Forsaken) and which units use the Focus rules. Adding both into one book would be nice, but I don't think it would be a significant change to the game at all.

Hordes really wasn't any different than four new factions for Warmachine--Fury not withstanding--in the first place.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I agree, the merging of the two is already there -but a geater mergin in game might be present (crossover units - possibly a halfbreed race). Plus, as some have said, some incrased balancing of the forces involved - but lets remember that this is still a relativly new game so its going to have it blance hicups - but I am confidant that privateer press will iron them out!

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
I'm not, really. There are still balancing hiccups in Warmachine that date back to Prime, and they haven't been ironed out.

That's pretty beside the point, though. What I was planning so say is that there already are crossover units, I think. Isn't Alten Ashley both a minion and a merc? I mean, there's a crossover unit. A mercenary with a specific beast-hunting ability.

There are at least another handful of abilities in Hordes that specifically affect 'jacks or Focus, and a number of abilities in Warmachine that were written to affect Warbeasts as well as Warjacks.

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think about it this way: by the time the two systems are officially merged, the individual armies will be so large and there will be so many that the game will split into rulebook and individual army books, unless the one big book is to be over 400 pages.

When that happens, the rules can be updated independently of the individual armies and vice versa, potentially improving the balance.

As much as PP hates to use the GW game-structure model (core rule book, army book for each individual faction) it really does make sense. It's not like anyone would otherwise confuse a PP product with a GW product, right?

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
That's pretty beside the point, though. What I was planning so say is that there already are crossover units, I think. Isn't Alten Ashley both a minion and a merc? I mean, there's a crossover unit. A mercenary with a specific beast-hunting ability.
Yup. And then we have Magnus the Traitor and Magnus the Warlord (or perhaps it was just the Warlord...) and Gudrun the Wanderer.

I'm not sure what to think actually. I'd rather see a WM v.2, but that would need a Hordes v.2 as wel considering how closely related the games are... Hm. I don't know, really.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think its a good idea. so PP has a game that can stand up to 40k and Fantasy and be just as tall. thats what this is all about. why have to small kinda similar games? when you can have one big one. Ya know? well this is my opinion you may not like it but i do.

Mr.Pink, please take the time to spell out words such as "you" (don't use 'u') and to try and capitalize where appropriate. Thanks. ~Lost Nemesis

·
Registered
29 Posts
I disagree with any attempt at "competing" with GW as privateer press is a rather different gaming organization. By consolidating the two I think it would cheapen the game dynamics and while it would make the game stand "taller" there is no need for an increased number of factions. GW is crowded and often repetitive with the various army lists and it has become hard to distinguish between factions.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
This is pretty much random BS people are spewing . . . with no substantial data or information to back them up.

Although I cannot disclose any information, I highly doubt this will ever happen. HORDES and WARMACHINE, while compatible and in the same world, are two different games.

The fact that they are COMPLETELY compatible confuses me to why we would even consider "merging" them. Hamburgers and fries go with each other. You DON'T have to stuff fries into your burger for them to taste good and compliment each other.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Think of it like this-
by then hordes will have it's heavy & light cav, WM should have it's light cav and dragoons. Both will have epics and everything else including character beasts and jacks.

The rules will continue to be errata'd into next week, but the new army additions for all 8 armies and mercs (they are not a faction=P) will be in each book. 1 caster each, and 2 units.

easy smeezy me thinks.

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The fact that they are COMPLETELY compatible confuses me to why we would even consider "merging" them. Hamburgers and fries go with each other. You DON'T have to stuff fries into your burger for them to taste good and compliment each other.
Point of order, I just had a hamburger for lunch and, testing your theory, I stuffed a handful of my fries under the bun. It was awesome.

Ergo, by my twisted logic, Hordes and Warmachine must therefore be merging. :D

In all seriousness, though, the fact that they are completely compatible only serves fuel the notion that they would be fine if merged.

Again, though, this is just hearsay on my part; a second-hand recounting of a conversation held at a convention over a year ago. I wanted to know if anyone else had heard such things.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
But each game also appeals to different people. Some people like Steampunk more than the Feral feel of Hordes. So we want to cater to everyone. :)

Oh and money is good. That means I get paid (usually, sometimes I'm forced to do work without pay, they say it's because I play Skorne. . .)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts