Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how would you convert a rune priest?
And by that I mean from regular marine pieces not the metal librarian models.

also for my rune priest for space wolves, he has a storm shield and a frost blade on him, from the assault box set, all i did was wolf the model up a little more. but what concerns me the most is, do i have to make one of those mind shield-thingies on his head?(he has no helmet).I asking this because Im not sure, rune priests are way different from librarians, the rune priests in the space wolf codex dont have any of those things over there head....so i was wondering...

·
LO Zealot
1,173 Posts
The old Njal stormcaller model has a psychic hood modelled on, but the latest rune priest (released in conjunction with 13th company) doesn't have one.

Building one out of marine bits is easy. I think you'll need greenstuff too though.

Firstly decide what weapons you want... bolt pistol and frost axe is good. These are readily available anywhere.

Then wargear, wolf tooth necklace, wolf tail talismens etc... all found on the sw sprue.

Then visualize your pose in your head. (or an artists manaquin is good for this and can be bought for as little as £5...)

Start with the base, model on slate or dead enemies etc (or both) green stuff it all in push rocks into the greenstuff etc...

Then take your legs and chop them up into the pose you imagined. Sprinting etc... marine legs can be cut up (cutting out all the flexible bit between plates) and pinned in a new position then greenstuffing the flexible bit back in...

Torso, there is a great one on the SW sprue, its the one with the 3 pipes and necklace. Perfect for a runey...

Backpack will be the space wolf one. I'd drill into the top and attach a fantasy goblin banner. They look great for space wolves...

Once you got your arms and pads on, green stuff huge wolf pelts around his shoulders, just wack on green stuff, rouch it up with a drill bit then use a craft knife to direct the fur. Easy.

Use a sw head, but green stuff plaits, braids, beard etc to it. So its a unique looking head.

When painting, make sure to paint on lots of runes to denote his statute...

·
907 Posts
this guy has over 61 parts (stopped counting at 61) and all of them except for the lower legs and head are either plastic or greenstuff

the arms had to be seriously repositioned for this pose to work (cut into 5 bits each, some the right had to be extended slightly as well) this was done by drilling through every peice and addind a armature (made from a paper clip) to the model any gaps were then filled with gs.

the upper legs were from the space marine biker model as was the waist after a lillte shaving the legs went together nicely, this also had a armature added to it to give it a bit of extra strength.

the staff and skulls came from the tomb kings range this had to be cut into 3 sections and have the hands glued to it before the hands were then attached to the arms (the central piece plus the hands had to match the gap left between the arms so this was measured and then the central part was cut to measure and pinned to the hands it was then wrapped in GS and then had a tail added to it from kharn the betrayers helmet

the back pack is from a normal marine with the vent arms off of a chaos back pack

the psychic hood was a shoulder pad with a plastic strip added to the top and the power box from an old style power axe cut in half and added to either side these were drilled out then had metal wire threaded into the holes and this was in turn ran under the helmet

the greenstuff was first added to his waist and was pressed onto a logan grimnars cloak first to give it the wolf fur texture his wolf tooth belt and the shoulder throw was also added with greenstuff.

the model then had plastic runes added to his armour this was achieved by heating a bit of sprue and pulling it till it was less than the thickness of a mm mark on a ruler (thats the little black mark that donates a mm) this was then cut and glued into place in individual pieces to form true nordic runes of power. (these i found on a great norse webbsite).
found here
http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/index.html

in total this guy took about 20 hrs to build and im very happy how he came out and other than the 3 parts previously mentioned is entirely plastic.

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55672

·
Registered
58 Posts
Basically, a runepriest is a marine with runes attached to the armour, and with a big

/\
\/ rune sticked in the right shoulder pad. that's all.
/\

in the space wolves transfer sheet, you have ahuge amount of runes to supply the "runes" of the armour.

you don't need to make the psychic hood.... the new runepriest model don't uses it.

the real trouble is finding a plastic miniature to represent the chooser of the slain.

as gareth said, using the SW sprue & SM commander sprue, you will have all you need to make a fine runepriest.

i was planning to make a full plastic conversion of a runepriest.
i will use a plastic SM commander and the scavenged remains of my SW sprues.

·
907 Posts
true the new rune priest model doesnt have a hood, but how are you going to represent one in a tourney where everything has to be wysiwyg? you will lose tournry points needlesly if you do this and he said that he wanted the model to have a hood.

·
907 Posts
this is also how i have done mine but the point i was making was the new rune priest has no hood so can't claim to be able to use one in a tourney without costing you wysiwyg points.

and as for the runes if you are going to go to the trouble of adding them then why not do abit of research and do some real ones.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
907 Posts
it used to be a cyber raven, but there is no set model now so it's up to you though from the fluff point of view a bird or floating cyber skull would be probably be best as a rune priest can be accompanied by a fenrisian wolf so it might get a little confusing.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I was under the impression that RP's couldn't take psychic hoods, and that the SW equivalent was a runic staff. Same as a psychic hood but in wepon form - but bites as it is only a standard weapon and therfore not really worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.