Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, picture this.

Ork Warboss, very dangerous yes? Yes. Don't even question it. Give him a power klaw and once he strikes, whatever he was striking is now dead.

Now imagine he is with a grot mob. Why you ask? because if you clump the slavers/runtherds near him, they can use their grabba stikks to remove the enemy power fist / independant character's attacks.

The gretchin entry in the new codex is a little unclear on the size of mobs, I understand that for every ten gretchin you MUST take a slaver, but can you get away with taking 10 grots and 3 slavers? I don't see why not. I want less grots so I can fit them and the warboss in a battlewagon!

In this way, I could see them becoming quite useful for assassinating scary opposing HQs. Chaos lord of doom is a lot less scary when he's only got 1 attack!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Its an interesting idea, except that most characters will have 6 attacks, or demon weapons with more, but will at least improve the survivability of the boss in CC. I cant see anything in the grot section that says you can only take 1 runtherd for every 10, such as the case of special weapons. 1 more errata topic I suppose. As it is a compulsory upgrade I would imagine that you can take the most in a minimum sized squad. This particular group of gretchin need real close supervision!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was thining about doing something like this with the good doktor grotsnik. only it was going to be a mob of thirty.

Not to hijack your thread, but on a side note: could the grots then take cybork bodies?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Isn't the Cybork Body 5pts a model? So that means that you would have 8pt grots!!!

Might as well just take regular boys...

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Your all still forgetting that a Warboss still has the IC rule and once in CC with an opponent can be targeted, and that Grots severely low toughness mean your likelihood of losing combat is way to high! Your talking about being wounded on a 2+ by average opponents at all times?? Against shooting the unit will not be alive long also.

While an interesting idea, your basically wasting your warboss in a unit where the Runtherd's can't even have a power klaw. Your best bet, stick him in a unit of regular boys at that point. It will be much more effective.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Huh?

Your all still forgetting that a Warboss still has the IC rule and once in CC with an opponent can be targeted, and that Grots severely low toughness mean your likelihood of losing combat is way to high! Your talking about being wounded on a 2+ by average opponents at all times?? Against shooting the unit will not be alive long also.

While an interesting idea, your basically wasting your warboss in a unit where the Runtherd's can't even have a power klaw. Your best bet, stick him in a unit of regular boys at that point. It will be much more effective.
Wait, I'm confused. If you stick an IC in a group of grotts, your opponent can either targer your IC or the grotts. The fact the grotts have a low toughness means nothing to the IC. Sure, you will be losing combats, which is why you should use the Mad Doc, rather than a warboss. That way they'll be fearless, and feeling no pain.

8 points is way too much to spend on any grott. They get the most benefit from just being with the doc. That way, they ignore most wounds on a 4+ (after armor saves), and are fearless until the mad doc dies. With the runtherds using grabba stikks to remove klaw attacks, that's beginning to sound like a deadly combination.

I'd take a larger unit of grotts though, for the Mad Doc to use as extra wounds. All in all, an interesting idea. MouseC112 is right though. Grotts wouldn't work with a regular warboss. They'd retreat too easily.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
somewhat

Wait, I'm confused. If you stick an IC in a group of grotts, your opponent can either targer your IC or the grotts. The fact the grotts have a low toughness means nothing to the IC. Sure, you will be losing combats, which is why you should use the Mad Doc, rather than a warboss. That way they'll be fearless, and feeling no pain.

8 points is way too much to spend on any grott. They get the most benefit from just being with the doc. That way, they ignore most wounds on a 4+ (after armor saves), and are fearless until the mad doc dies. With the runtherds using grabba stikks to remove klaw attacks, that's beginning to sound like a deadly combination.

I'd take a larger unit of grotts though, for the Mad Doc to use as extra wounds. All in all, an interesting idea. MouseC112 is right though. Grotts wouldn't work with a regular warboss. They'd retreat too easily.
Your opponent can chose to attack the grots AND the warboss that's the problem. For example. Your grots charge with the warboss into a unit of 10 marines. Well the marines go first no matter what, so the one's in contact with the warboss have to attack him, but the ones in contact with the grots have to attack them. Your chances of losing combat are quite high as the marines will just dump attack into the grots, which gives wounds towards combat resolution. Your warboss will probably hit 3/4, kill 2/3, leaving the grots a lot to make up for. Well hitting on 4's, wounding on 6's isn't going to cut it.

Yes the grots will be fearless if at full strength, but its a great way to get your warboss killed, or run down from losing combat in the long run. The marine unit only has to stay for 1 turn, then can bring in help to cause mass wounds on the grots... which will probably last 2 rounds of combat, then run taking the warboss with them.

Me personally, i'd rather have the warboss in a unit of 30 boys who can fight with him, bringing a power klaw nob along with him, increasing your wound by almost double from power klaws, and regular boys will cause wounds/ kills. While the grot mob of 30 saves you nearly 100 pts, in the long run i'd rather have the boys for volume of attacks.

Reactions: mynameisgrax
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.