Librarium Online Forums banner

Do you prefer the russ or the demolisher?

• Russ

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • Demoliser

Votes: 21 43.8%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
First Tiger
149 Posts
I think I will opt for the plain russ just for the extra range if I have to choose between them. Long range compensates for the decreased firepower and armor. However, my ideal setup is two russes and a demolisher, people just plain fear and AP2 pieplate with all that armor wrapped around it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Point for point a standard Russ loaded with heavy bolters is a better all around tank than a demolisher in any configuration.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Depends,

If you have got the cover the demolisher has the better main weapon and is a nasty piece of equipment, but it's getting it within 24" and if armour isn't your main element it will probably die relatively quick.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
I prefer both.

It depends on the type of IG army I am playing. For a standard infantry based IG army, I prefer a Russ so it can sit back at range and kill enemy troops.

For a Grenadier/Mechanized list, I prefer Demolishers to go up with some Hellhounds and draw fire away from my Chimeras with my beloved Stormies:rofl.

Either way, I equip my tanks with EA, Smoke and the triple Heavy Bolter combo.

I picked the Demolisher, because that is my favorite way to play.:happy:

Cheers, DH

·
Registered
5 Posts
I prefer the russ because it just shoots farther. though now that i think about it the demolisher would probley suit my army better because because i play cityfights. Hmmm... (thinking hard)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I like both

I abstained from voting because both perform extremely well.

The demo's range means it wont do much on turn 1, but after that its range isn't that bad on a 6'/4' table. Also the increased armour means getting flanked isn't as much of a worry. Rear armour is still soft, but if you're tank gets hit in the rear, you messed up bad.

The standard tank's range is really good. It can hit almost anywhere on a battlefield, and the fact that its damage is not a good isn't much of an issue because it will have plenty of targets to choose from. Not every weapon in your army has to be able to kill 2+sv/AV14. The range also enables you to hang back a bit, making it much harder to flank. On the downside of it, I have seen someone lose a battle cannon to a guardian squad (which promtly got chewed up by heavy bolter).

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I would prefer the Demolisher. Given typical table width, range isn't that bad of a problem, especially with a fallback lascannon. The Demo is the only reliable way to roll on the Ordnance Penetration table--always a good feeling. Better strength and AP, all good. Plus, that extra side armor makes a difference--it effectively neutralizes Eldar shooting in particular.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Well my first choice would be the vanquisher... but the next best thing is the russ
I normally play against eldar so i would only get 1 shot (if im lucky) with a demolisher.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hmmm.... Demolisher is just the best, range isn't that big of a problem, although depends how you use it, 2 russes with it would help, also depends on the terrain and hu u are playing i guess. All in all though if you plan to throw 3 Heavy bolters on and a stubber, what is so bad about spending 10 extra points for increase of armour?

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
I feel that both are good; it just depends how you use it/what you need.

My lists have no more Demolishers than normal Russes though. (Probably due to the fact I only have 1 Demolisher compared to 4 Russes, 5 if I try to pass off the Vanquisher as a fancy Russ)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
gotta go with the standard russ i'm a witchunter primarily so it's the only one i can get ;Y

but even when i feild my guard on their own or as the base i still feel no compunction to feild a demolisher to me it's just overkill

there very lilttle a demy can do that the styandard russ can't, the only true plus is plasmac cannons but with guard bs your still better off with heavy bolters

·
Registered
248 Posts
I prefer the Demolisher, the extra strength and lower AP mean that nothing is safe near it. The 24" range isn't much of a downside to me, I normally position it quite far forwards and it's got 3 HBs if I decide to move it.

I've had my Russ nerfed too many times by Land Raiders or Deep Striking Terms with assault cannons, which I can't effectively fight back against.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.