Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm considering picking up some of the Ryza pattern turrets/guns for some Leman Russ battle tanks. I've never bought from ForgeWorld before and I understand that resin can be a big pain. So, couple of questions:

First off, how big of a pain is resin? I've heard some pretty bad stories...should that keep me from buying the models? Does anyone here use the new turrets, and, if so, what are your opinions on them?

Also, I'm in the UK this semester (study abroad), and I was wondering if there are any GW stores that carry ForgeWorld stuff in stock. I figured the GW HQ at Nottingham would (does it?); is there anywhere else? I'd prefer to avoid the long delays of ordering online from ForgeWorld, as I've heard quite a number of horror stories about that as well.

Lastly (and on a somewhat unrelated note), does anyone convert the hull and sponson weapons on the Russ? They look quite dated. I haven't been playing IG long, but I used a lascannon from the heavy weapons sprue on the hull, and it looked pretty good. Is this common practice, and is it an easy conversion for sponsons (if I decide to take them)?

Oh, actually, one more thing...with all the IG releases rumored for the end of the year, are there any rumblings about a complete overhaul of the tanks? I don't want to spend a bunch of money on models that'll be obsolete by Christmas...

Thanks!

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
First off I have never bought from forgeworld personally, however, In GW Reading you used to be able to order forgeworld through the shop at one point if I remeber correctly (this may be me getting confused though). I'd go down to the local GW and ask personally.

As for the conversion of weapons. I have seena couple of conversions on the hull wepaon mainly because people want the heavy bolter rather than the lascannon. As for the sponsons it seems a little expensive for what you get. teh amount of gun you would have to cut off would make it look near enough the same but with feed problems.

As for the IG releases rumours are always just that so dont get your hopes up. I havn't seen any talk of overhauling tanks. thought TBH I didnt think IG were getting an update till next year sometime after 5th edition and another codex have been done.

I wouldn't wait, just buy now and convert. The most they are likely to do is upgrade the weapons options like they did with the accessory sprue. (I loved the old stormbolters personally new ones are ugly to me).

Hope that helps

A

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've never had too much problem with resin parts. About half of my tanks have resin bits and I have a Macharius tank that is entirely resin. Its fine as long as you're prepared to wash the parts and warm up and bend back any warped parts.

I just use hot water to bend back parts and its all fine.

I would say though that small or thin parts snap very easily but if you're just going to use a turret then it should be fine.

I wouldn't worry about the tanks becoming obsolete as they've existed for years with only minor modifications.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
an overhaul for new models wouldn't be halfbad but that goes for any army, people are always happy when they get new releases for their guys. i'm sure i'm not the only one who's been thinking of ways to convert up new tank patterns for their chimera/leman russ chasis's. but then again you can always just keep your old models so people know how far back to date you're playing (like the guys that still use the old ugly sentinels w/ assault cannons counting them as multilasers).
i think all their current rules are fine (especially the hellhound not being prone to fiery explosions whenever hit) but wouldn't mind something like say the griffon tank being brought back (they seem more viable as short range artillery on the field compared to basilisks).

sidenote, i know i've seen many posts for it before but was there every an updated VDR published for the current edition after the one from the chapter approved 2004?

·
Watcher In The Sky
1,083 Posts
but then again you can always just keep your old models so people know how far back to date you're playing (like the guys that still use the old ugly sentinels w/ assault cannons counting them as multilasers).
Heh, and there was me dismantling mine the moment the decent looking new ones came out. Gods that model was appaling.

·
Born from Tears of Angels
1,768 Posts
Hello all,

I'm considering picking up some of the Ryza pattern turrets/guns for some Leman Russ battle tanks. I've never bought from ForgeWorld before and I understand that resin can be a big pain. So, couple of questions:

First off, how big of a pain is resin? I've heard some pretty bad stories...should that keep me from buying the models? Does anyone here use the new turrets, and, if so, what are your opinions on them?

Also, I'm in the UK this semester (study abroad), and I was wondering if there are any GW stores that carry ForgeWorld stuff in stock. I figured the GW HQ at Nottingham would (does it?); is there anywhere else? I'd prefer to avoid the long delays of ordering online from ForgeWorld, as I've heard quite a number of horror stories about that as well.

Lastly (and on a somewhat unrelated note), does anyone convert the hull and sponson weapons on the Russ? They look quite dated. I haven't been playing IG long, but I used a lascannon from the heavy weapons sprue on the hull, and it looked pretty good. Is this common practice, and is it an easy conversion for sponsons (if I decide to take them)?

Oh, actually, one more thing...with all the IG releases rumored for the end of the year, are there any rumblings about a complete overhaul of the tanks? I don't want to spend a bunch of money on models that'll be obsolete by Christmas...

Thanks!
First off, dont worry about turrents because they are made of one type of resin and will be in good shape since they are small and easy to cut out. On the other hand, if you plan on buying the whole model than you really need to be carefull.

Second, FW is a UK firm so if there is a single part of the world where FW stores can be found - its defiitely UK.

Third, the lascannon will look very good if you use the HW lascannon instead of the one provided. It will also seem very good if you mount it far into the tank so only half the gun comes out of the hull sponson. This way it wont look as if the lascannon is 10 meters long in real life. If you look at DKOK executioner on FW website, you can sort of see how most of the gun if mounted further into the tank and only the barrel of gun is truly vissible, not the actual weapon drive.

·
2,399 Posts
Heh, and there was me dismantling mine the moment the decent looking new ones came out. Gods that model was appaling.
I remember sending a hand written letter to GW at the age of 13 asking for them to release a decent model for sentinals.
(Along with scenery making packs, and re-releasing IG Dreadnaughts and Robots - Imagine robots now! I still have one of the 80's ones (dark grey metal due to being handled so much))
I think i bodged some together using space crusade dreadnaught assault cannons, and a cheap mechwarrior-esque walker toy.

Bring back penal troopers ! (I can't really see suicide bombers being re-released in a giant boxed set, mind:

Mother: So what do you want for christmas little Cherub?
Cherub: Suicide bombers.

Womens groups across America will stop bothering roleplayers (Satan worhippers to the last man, or demon) and Magic/Other CCG players (Gamblers, the lot of them) and will start protesting outside GW in Nottingham.

P.s On topic : The larger F/W items look beautiful. Also, will Pm you a store that does it (althouth they probably shouldn't)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts