Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a possibly hilarious idea the other day..

Sanctioned psykers.. the general concenesus I've heard is that they're not terribly useful.

Anyway, I'm probably about to start an IG grenadier army with Inquisitor allies, and I really wanted to work out a way to take the Culexus assassin for some engagements, because I love him fluffwise.

Now imagine.. I have 3 squads of mechanised grenadiers with a sanctioned psyker in each. Okay.. that's 36 points for a not very useful trio of explodey headed wierdos, except that, because they count as psykers, they allow the culexus to fire more shots with the animus speculum, provided they're within 12".

Let's put that into perspective.. with 2 of them within 12", we have an assault 3 weapon with AP1.. If we're also fighting a psyker, as is the intention, we get even more, and can target them directly.

Okay, this idea won't be making up any points against non psychic armies. But imagine a space marine librarian being hit by 3 or 4 strength 5 AP1 hits.. He's not going to last very long.

It's not going to create an invincible monster over what is generally considered to be a rubbishy and eratic unit.. but it might boost the usefullness factor the point where it might be employable in some general games. What do you guys think?

·
ISIS Secret Agent Squishy
1,875 Posts
there is one amusing thing you can do with sanctions psyckers if you don't have a problem with points cost, it turns him into a veritable Inquistitor, except he doesn't have any guaranteed ability.

Sanctioned Psyker [97 pts]
Force Weapon; Plasma Pistol; Bionics; Carapace Armour; Master Crafted Weapon (Plasma Pistol); Honorifica Imperialis

He's expensive, but thanks to the Force weapon, he could technically take out a Carnifex in one turn. With the Honorifica (and carapace and bionics) he's one tough son of an orc, with 5 force weapon attacks on the charge! You just have to get him there.

·
Dawn Under Heaven
2,971 Posts
Yeah, but probably only a cheap gun fex that costs barely a little more than he does. The big 200 pt monsters you want to kill are T7, so he can't hurt them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's why the plasma pistol at S7 AP2. Would be pretty funny to see IMO.

·
Dawn Under Heaven
2,971 Posts
It won't do much to a carni, you'll get two wounds if you're lucky. And that means if you don't kill it then it's going to run in and butcher your almost 100pt sink. For that you could get 4 lascannons which is going to hurt carni's a lot more.

·
1,875 Posts
you have to remember though, a single wound with a force weapon can become an instant kill, which is the only way the poor guy would stand a chance against a carni.
But wouldn't the look on the other guys face, when your "adviser" slaughters his 'fex, be worth more than 100pts?

·
Dawn Under Heaven
2,971 Posts
Nope, but I wouldn't damage my chances of winning that badly just to see the look. I get my highs blasting termies with lasguns. :ninja:

·
Registered
598 Posts
even if you sink all those points into the psyker, you're only making him mediocre, not "good"

anything s6 will wipe that 100 point wonder out in a heart beat. Look! A basilisk! Look! Your 300 point command squad is quite dead, one turn 1. Whoops. Even if that doesn't happen, s3 causing wounds isn't something I'd bet the farm on. Anything that he'd be easily able to wound probably isn't a hard enough target to render it worth insta killing. a 4+ save is the best you're going to get, but when it's a 100 point character only protected by a 50/50 save is sketchy at best.

If you're not going to upgrade them they're even more useless then before, the psychic powers are thoroughly pointless and it eats up a doctrine point.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I always use the prescribed "super psyker" build. That, in conjunction with commissar and heroic senior officer makes for a potent close combat unit. I've defeated enemies in close combat with that unit where a blood angels honor guard has failed.

The psyker is great against enemies like tyranid warriors or necron scarab swarms, where he can kill a unit just as long as he causes at least one wound out of 5 attacks.

My biggest trophies that my psyker has taken single handedly are a hive tyrant and necron lord. (not in the same game)

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm not arguing that this tooled up psyker isn't effective, but I'm saying there's better ways to spend the points.

For 145 points, (50 more) you could get a Grey Knights Grand Master in termie armor, with a 2+ bonus to strength (wounds MEQ's on a 3+) with a force weapon. He's also got better stats, is totally fearless, goes first against anything short of Genestealers, is his own unit (so he can hunt big bugs by himself instead of risking ur HSO) and if you want him to have a few pals, you can give him a retinue of termies as well. A much more efficient buy then a tooled up psyker. Oh, and he's also not eating up a doctrine :)

Or you could take an inquisitor and slap a force weapon on him, that works too.

·
Registered
777 Posts
True, that's the tactically better way to go. But for someone looking for a pure IG force clean of the taint of power armored cowards, psyker is all you got.

(note: personally, if I had the choice, I wouldn't take the psyker doctrine at all. Since it's given to me for free by using a Mordian regiment, I figure I might as well utilize the fact that I get to take 6 doctrines rather than 5).

·
durus
2,578 Posts
mpdscott said:
Sanctioned Psyker [97 pts]
Force Weapon; Plasma Pistol; Bionics; Carapace Armour; Master Crafted Weapon (Plasma Pistol); Honorifica Imperialis

I think this guy is illegal. Don't we have a 50pt wargear limit?

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Here is a kooky HQ I came up with.

HSO: Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol, Carapace, Refractor Field, Medallion Crimson, Frag Grenades, two Flamers - 137pts
Commissar: Power Fist, Refractor Field, Plasma Pistol, Carapace - 90pts
Psyker: Honorifica, Force Weapon - 62 points
Priest: Rosarius, Eviscerator - 90pts

379 points. Of course I would much rather have a Grey Knight Grandmaster and Retinue for approximatly the same points.

·
Registered
777 Posts
You are correct, there is only a 50pt limit on all IG characters (senior and heroic seniors get a 100 point limit though).

In response to the question of how many points my command squad is...with a heroic senior, commissar, "super psyker," standard bearer, and a myriad of heavy/special weapons...the total cost comes out to 300 points!!! *takes a step back to look at the numbers*. Wow...thats actually a bigger point sink I thought it would be, haha. I realize how wasteful that might seem...but I enjoy using it.

I have enough basic footsloggers and heavy weapons to get most of the work done in the shooting phase so that my command squad never has to do much more than just hide in the back and boost morale, but there have been more than one occassion in which my command squad has completely taken someone by suprise with its prowess in close combat (one such example would be the time I came to the rescue of a blood angels honor guard that had been nearly wiped out by a single hive tyrant. My command squad charged the tyrant, and in one round of combat, caused 4 wounds to the monster, puting it down for good.)

Most people expect that they have won the battle once they get a single unit into CC with my line squads, only to find that even at a base strength of 3, its hard to stay standing when being attacked by 5 power weapon, 5 force weapon, and 4 power fist attacks (not to mention a salvo of normal attacks), by my command squad.

·
1,875 Posts
Diggums Hammer said:
I think this guy is illegal. Don't we have a 50pt wargear limit?
oooh, fairy muff, I guess army builder has yet another small error that needs fixing, oh well
damn shame, but with just a force weapon and Honorifica he's still kind of a threat

·
Registered
777 Posts
Army builder does show that you can only take 50 points of wargear for the psyker (it does in my edition at least), but for some reason it doesn't count the force weapon against that 50 point limit...which is where the problem of legality comes in hand.

The force weapon SHOULD count against the 50 point limit...right?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The_Giant_Mantis said:
Now imagine.. I have 3 squads of mechanised grenadiers with a sanctioned psyker in each.
Sanctioned psykers are advisors and cannot join your grenadiers unless you buy lots and fill your HQ's first. In a pure grenadiers army that's doable though, as you'd only have one HQ.

Also, force weapons are weapons, not wargear, and does not take up room in the 50 point wargear limit :)

Reactions: Neferata

·
Registered
552 Posts
Egads! So this means it is legal to make an HQ cost more than 2 Russes!

For my points, there's still no IG unit better at CC than a SWS with 2 Flamers and a Demo Charge.

·
Registered
598 Posts
IGFreely said:
Egads! So this means it is legal to make an HQ cost more than 2 Russes!

For my points, there's still no IG unit better at CC than a SWS with 2 Flamers and a Demo Charge.
too bad you can only take 2 demo charges in your whole army :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts