Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was thinking about saurus cavalry the other day and was wondering where people stood on the issue what unit size is the best for them.

I usually take em in units of five, whcih seems to work really well. But sometimes i only need to lose one or two from ranged attacks and the unit's effectiveness is greatly reduced.

So would a larger unit size be better, even though they are quite expensive?

Just wondering what people think.

Ciao

·
Registered
207 Posts
in 1000 i dont takem, 1500 i use 7 and a mounted hero, 2000 i use 10 with 2 heros.
my friends get angry at me though :(

its a lot of points but they good also. ^i thought his post was really funny

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree not to use them in 1000. If they're used in 1000 points 5 is the max size for the unit IMO. The reason for this is basically they draw WAY too much atention and since a unit of 8-10 is a major point sink you will probably have only 1 other unit that could come close to drawing that much atention. The only other thing to draw that much atention in 1000 is a stegadon and that's a alrge target.

In 1500-2000 points when using a unit of 5 make sure you hit the enemy unit in the flank to keep CR in your favor. A unit of 8-10 with a standard can hold its own extremely well when charging head on in my experiances.

Well there's my two cents on the sizes and when to take/use them. Other then that I don't really like the saurus cav. too much. A unit of 5 i beleive is 1 more point than a unit of kroxigors which have always served me better and have never let me down. Now I'm not tryn to open the krox vs scor debate again they do have different rolls and different uses but overall the kroxigors have always served me better.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys, i was already pretty aware that saurus cav aren't most people's fave unit. personally i'm a bit partial to them:)

I think in 2000pts i'll probs be looking to take a couple of units of 5, with a hero in one of em.

Cheers for the input

Ciao

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'm thinking of trying them out myself and think they don't such that much. People complain about their save, well, that's countered by their T4. T4 is better than a 2+ save as toughness itsn't reduced by higher strength. And they hit really hard.
If people give a lot of attention to them that means they won't give so much attention to my other units. They will always shoot at something...

Finally, if you're worried a unit of 5 is too vulnerable, you can always increase it to 6. Which will increase its survivability somewhat.

Tai'shar

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah your right araith, you have to love that T4. Since I bombed every stats test i ever had I not gunna do the statistics but apparently against S3 T3 with 2+ armor save is better but like you said armor saves get reduced.

On second thought I think taking a unit in 1000 is viable, I just don't like to do it myself so much. In 1500-2000 I never leave home without one(except southlands, horned ones suck T2 is depressing). The only reason I don't leave without them is because I have yet to buy salamanders, chameleon skinks, or terradons so I field all the special and rare choices i have. I haven't really been w/out them yet so maybe when I field an army w/out them I'll se what I'm missing. I used my SCOR as a unit of tichi huichi riders once, let's jus say that i missed them then(I lost all but tichi huichi on my opponents first turn because they were in a good charge position but venerable to fire)

So in conclusion incase my rambling was to obscure I like SCOR but think the points may be better spent on a different unit. However, until I actually buy more models I can only say I like kroxigors better and haven't had enough experience with he stegadon to make a proper judgment. Having said that, who doesn't like kroxigors anyway? has any1 had really bad experiences with them?

·
Registered
95 Posts
They tend to be a bit situational. They hit very hard and are good flankers, but the problem is gettting them into combat in tact, which is where they often are undone. I'd suggest using one, maybe two units of 5 with just a musician. This way they still are rather effective, but if they end up doing nothing or very little throughout the game then its no biggy.

Cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.