Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aiight anyone here ever attempt to use real explosives on scenery to make it more realistic.

I was thinking small amount of RDX cased in a paper roll stuffed into plaster walls...

Or am I getting a bit too drastic ?

·
Registered
372 Posts
You will probably find that the damage will ruin your battle field. The problem is that realistic explosive damage doesnt look as good as fake battle damage. This is because of the scale of the enviroment. If you model a crater it will look like a scaled down crater but the changes in material and force mean that its almost imposible to create this effect using real explosives.

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
Tsk tsk. Someone's been reading the anarchist cookbook.

Well, if you want to end up with holes in your head, thats your choice.

A simpler way would simply be to take mallet to the table to create holes.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I haven't tried yet but I intend too.

I think the result will be more realistic, just make sure to make the damage on a test piece before you make the rest of the terrain.
I intend do do something like this with a Rhino... either I'm gonna blow it up with tunderkings or I'm gonna shoot it with a 22cal. long rifle.

When I'm done I'll post the result.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't use 22 rifle, use a pellet gun, point black range, have it in a slow moving shallow creek, or a sandy, or muddy area, a 22 rifle will damage it too much and you may never find some of the pieces again.

Oh and I refuse to use any recipes in the anarchist cookbook, they're all too unstable... I looked at most of the chemical formulas (Chemist/Pyrotechnician/Physicist by trade, clerk by crappy job availability) and they're all either missing a few key ingredients, or too unstable to the point where making it will kill you no doubt about it, especially their formulas for Nitro (Which I also refuse to work with) and Dynamite.

Wait a sec.

Is your rhino plastic or metal.

If metal, just use a wide drill bit and use a very low speed, and depending on what you want it destroyed by either drill upside down, or normally, If it was destroyed by a land mine, drill upside down, this will give the top a very rough edge simulating a land mine because when a land mine takes out a vehicle it hits so hard it bends the metal. If it was hit my a mortar, use a wide drill bit at fast speed, then hammer the inside of the hole with a large wooden dowel rod, this will also give it a rough edge, but not as rough as a land mines.

Also you may want to bust out a blow torch and try to mutate the metal so it looks like it's taken some heat damage.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Explosives, bad idea.
Using a hot knife tool [soldering iron with x-acto knife blade] to melt and score the vehicle surfaces or drilling bullet holes with a pin vise will work far better than using actual fire arms.
Using live rounds will destroy your models or your terrain to a degree which will make them useless to you.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Well I'm still going for the live round destruction derby.
The idea of the completely destoyed tank is just the idea I had in mind.
I got a rhino I think of either blowing up or shooting up.
What would you prefer?

About shooting... don't worry about parts getting lost, just make sure you put the model inside a box first and you'll be sure that nothing flies away.

·
Registered
342 Posts
And I thought I was insane! Although my insanity extends only to the creation of models, not the destruction ov them.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Don't care about the cost of the model, if you really want a realistic looking blown up tank then there's nothing else to do than to blow it up for real.
I'm planning to take a rhino maybe tomorrow out to the shooting range, putting it in a sealed box and then blast the box with 22cal. shots.
An other other plan would be to put a thinderkind inside the poor tank using the same sealed box.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Sure I'll do that...
Anything in the meaning of information to others.
I don't have time to do it this week, due to my work...
Doing eveningshift this week <_<

·
Registered
22 Posts
i tried to use a bunger to put an explosion in the side of a polystirean building im making for city fight but it just wouldn't light i think it because they are a bit old past there expirary date you know. :angry:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Actually I woulden't count on that...
Just make sure to use a good assembled model and be sure to use explocives that are powerful enough and you should get a realistically destroyed model with crack lines appearing virtually anywhere... not just on the assembly joints.

Anyway, new years eve is drawing closer and firework sales will start up soon enough.... needless to say my favorite part of the year is coming up.
I'll get to you all with pictures as soon as I get to blow something up...
Just can't do it any place... you all know what I mean... paranoid old people all around... might even think it's the korean war starting over or something...

·
Registered
114 Posts
heres wut i like to do to totally obliterate tanks for scenery-

1. dont underestimate brute strength, take a bat to your tank and it'll look quite battle damaged.
2. serrated blades make nice assault marks
3. take a big screwdriver, make it looks like there has been a big puncture.
4. if youre the dangerous type, why not make use of a roman candle!
5. take a burning pen and make some bullet holes.
6. MELT IT!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Could do that too...
But I wont to make it look realistical.... by doing it realistical...

I got a permit to use the shooting range next week, so I'll see if I can do something soon...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.