Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekiel1990
Nice. Remember, you can start 12" from your table edge, scout move 12", then move 12", and then assault 6".

I don't see this anywhere in the Space Marines Codex or in the 40K rule book. Where do I find it?

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Look in the rulebook for page 74, the universal special rules, then under scouts.

It says they get a free move at the start of the game (before the first turn), I personally don't know any SM units that have scouts and a 12" movement, so Ezekiel1990 may be wrong

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
The_Outsider said:
It says they get a free move at the start of the game (before the first turn), I personally don't know any SM units that have scouts and a 12" movement, so Ezekiel1990 may be wrong
Scout bikers.

They deploy 12" from their table edge, make a 12" scout move (they can't turbo-boost), then, in their movement phase, they move another 12", and then, in the assault phase, they charge 6". Basically, they covered 42" in the first turn, and tables are only 48" wide. So they cold easily slap some meltabombs on a vehicle on the first turn, or, if you have a sergeant, you could get a powerfist into combat on turn 1.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
My mistake, I didn't think scout bikers had the rule, so you are very correct Ezekiel1990.

Now you mention it I now see how devastating they can be.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Just wanted to let people know that I got this idea originally from Chaosbyrnn... so don't give me all the credit.

Of course, I'd probably figure it out by now anyway 8)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Re: Scouts

Ezekiel1990 said:
Scout bikers.

They deploy 12" from their table edge, make a 12" scout move (they can't turbo-boost), then, in their movement phase, they move another 12", and then, in the assault phase, they charge 6". Basically, they covered 42" in the first turn, and tables are only 48" wide. So they cold easily slap some meltabombs on a vehicle on the first turn, or, if you have a sergeant, you could get a powerfist into combat on turn 1.
Actually you guys are incorrect on this one, but understandably so. Although they happened to be named "scouts" neither Space Marine Scouts, or Space Marine Biker Scouts have the Scout special rule from the Universal Special Rules. They only have the Infiltrate and Move Through Cover special rules. Take another look at their entry in the Space Marine Codex and you will see this.

They therefore do not get to make a free move prior to the first turn.

Regards,
Valerian

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Err Valerian, you are wrong, scout do have the scouts rule, they get the free move.

Its in their profile, they have the 'scouts' rule as found in the universal special rules.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Scout Bike Squadrons (p.37) do have the Scouts special rule. Scout Squads (p.34) do not. I hadn't really noticed this before as I rarely use bikes. I think I may have to employ them more often now. Awesome tactic, thanks Ezekiel/Chaosbyrnn!

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
Indeed, i've been using a small squad of scout bikers for awhile now, w/meltabombs they are pretty nasty tank hunters. Especially if you get teh first turn as all enemy tanks count as stationary unless they are skimmers.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Oops

Addoran said:
Page 37 of the Space Marine Codex disagrees :)

Sorry folks, Scout Bikers do indeed have the Scout ability (I had not noticed this either), but regular old Scouts do not (isn't that odd?). I knew the later and assumed that the bikers didn't have it either without double-checking the Codex prior to posting (yeah, I should know better).

So, the real danger in this tactic is if you deploy 12" from your table edge, Scout move 12" further, but don't get completely behind cover, if you lose the roll to go first, then you might lose your unit.

Apologies,

Valerian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts